Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

We are traveling with a 4 year old and 6 year old to Bergen, Stavager, Geiranger, Olden and Flaam? We already have tickets on the Flaam railway and my son really wants to see Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross station, and I was wondering what else you would recommend with young children. We are traveling in early May so the roads to the fjords may not be clear in Geiranger. My kids love animals and hands-on exhibits. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks so much.

I-Cruiser - Thank you so much for giving up your time to help everyone

Can I just ask, are there any buses that just go directly to Mt. Aksla, rather than the land train, or hop on/hop off that visit other places too?

I am with my mother so the 400 steps is definitely not possible.

Also, are you still emailing out information?

Hi I-Cruiser,

Great info for all us cruisers. Thanks! I'd like to get your brochure sent to sindeewooley at yahoo dot com. I do have a quick and easy (I hope) question. I am wondering if there is a taxi or bus, running between Lake Loen to Olden and the info. We are interested in going on the new Loen skylift that opens in May and we will be docked in Olden.

Thanks so much.

Hello Lars,

I just discovered this thread yesterday and very much appreciate your responses over the last few years. We will be cruising on Holland America Konnigsdam arriving in Alesund Aug 17!followed by Bergen the next day. Thinking we can see both on our own. We enjoy walking and taking photos and both spots look like perfect to wander about. We might take the HOHO in Bergen. The ship offers one excursion out of Alesund via submarine tunnels to a lighthouse. Is it possible to see this via public transportation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The tour to Alnes lighthouse is really worth doing. I love the landscape out there. So wild and rugged. Such a contrast to the serene fjords.

The subsea tunnels are fun too. They are supposed to be the deepest in Europe/Northern Europe.

Its easy to get to Alnes by bus.

I include a link to Alnes lighthouse and also the bus schedule.

The bus schedule is available at the "transport" button at the Alnes website.

http://www.alnesfyr.no/en-US/Default.aspx

Transport:

http://www.frammr.no/Ruter/Resultat?from=%C3%85lesund%20rutebilstasjon%20(%C3%85lesund)%20&to=Alnes%20bedehus%20(Giske)%20&date=17.08.2017&time=07:05&direction=1

I have not idea of the cost of the bus but I would think less then NOK 100 pp pr route.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hi I-Cruiser -

We can't find your original post about a "brochure", but we'd love a copy also.

Our e-address is below, in our "signature".

We'll be on the Hurtigruten Trollfjord RT March, 2018, on an astronomy-themed cruise program.

It's our first time to Norway.

Due to DH's time constraints, we're flying directly to Bergen for a few days, and then home after one post-cruise night in Bergen again.

(We are planning a different trip, in warmer weather, to see more of Norway and Sweden, and hopefully a few other places once we are "there".)

Photos of the Fjords look amazing.

We hope to see some Northern Lights, but even if we aren't that lucky, the scenery should be spectacular.

Any Bergen-specific suggestions would be great.

(What is the situation with the Flam RR this time of year? That has us very curious. Could we do a round trip in one day? If so, how long is the wait to transfer from the main RR line, each direction?)

Thank you.

The Flåmbanen goes all year so March departures are available.

As for train from Bergen to Flåm; its over 3 hrs each way.

I am not very familiar with the train times but the www.NSB.no has all the information.

Yes, you can do it in one day and the wait time according to schedules for this month (April 2017) at Myrdal is from 7 to 40 minutes.

We are traveling with a 4 year old and 6 year old to Bergen, Stavager, Geiranger, Olden and Flaam? We already have tickets on the Flaam railway and my son really wants to see Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross station, and I was wondering what else you would recommend with young children. We are traveling in early May so the roads to the fjords may not be clear in Geiranger. My kids love animals and hands-on exhibits. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks so much.

Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross station - That would be in London, UK I think.......

In Geiranger you should visit The Fjordcenter. Lots of fun for kids there. They show how life was along the fjord in the past. They do this with a boat that "moves"...there are old houses you can walk inside and around... Its real fun.

They also have a multimedia show. And a "fjord house" with activities for children.

http://www.fjordsenter.com/en/

Hi I-Cruiser,

Great info for all us cruisers. Thanks! I'd like to get your brochure sent to sindeewooley at yahoo dot com. I do have a quick and easy (I hope) question. I am wondering if there is a taxi or bus, running between Lake Loen to Olden and the info. We are interested in going on the new Loen skylift that opens in May and we will be docked in Olden.

Thanks so much.

The skylift is hailed to be THE new attraction when it opens in May this year.

As of now I have not heard of any bus schedule but I am confident there will be busses and taxis available at the pier in Olden.

They have busses for all the other attractions so for sure they will have to the Skylift also.

The drive from the pier to Loen is only about 10 minutes.

https://hovenloen.no/english/

I-Cruiser - Thank you so much for giving up your time to help everyone

Can I just ask, are there any buses that just go directly to Mt. Aksla, rather than the land train, or hop on/hop off that visit other places too?

I am with my mother so the 400 steps is definitely not possible.

Also, are you still emailing out information?

There is no public bus all the way to the viewpoint. There is a bus route but still you have to walk for a very long stretch. So this is not recommended.

Your choice then will be to rent a taxi.

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of Alesund. I'm sure I'll be there.

I'm going on a cruise to Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Eidfjord and Stavanger in Aug.

I have some questions and hopefully you can shed some lights.

1. Is any any excursion that can bring us to the glacier? From which port?

2. We are taking a cruise. Isn't taking a fjord excursion to see the fjord a duplicate experience of the sail in and sail out of the ship?

3. Which port will be the best to go on a RIB?

4. If we rent a car, which port is the best to rent a car for about 8 hours, Geiranger, Alesund or Eidfjord?

Thanks so much and I appreciate your help.

Edited by ace123

Hello Lars,

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of Alesund. I'm sure I'll be there.

I'm going on a cruise to Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, Eidfjord and Stavanger in Aug.

I have some questions and hopefully you can shed some lights.

1. Is any any excursion that can bring us to the glacier? From which port?

I think Eidfjord will be best for a glacier. Hardangerjøkulen glacier is probably the closest from the ports you are visiting. I dont think you can drive up to the glacier but its either hiking or skiing. I know by driving by you can see the glacier from a distance.

From Geiranger you can reach Briksdalglacier but it is over 3 hrs drive in each directions.

2. We are taking a cruise. Isn't taking a fjord excursion to see the fjord a duplicate experience of the sail in and sail out of the ship?

Not necessarily. By doing an excursion on a fjord you will get an upclose and more detailed experiance.

3. Which port will be the best to go on a RIB?

Ålesund, Flåm, Stavanger and Geiranger all offers RIB tours.

4. If we rent a car, which port is the best to rent a car for about 8 hours, Geiranger, Alesund or Eidfjord?

Ålesund would be a good place to rent a car if you want to venture outside to see Trollstigen or Hjørundfjorden.

Eidfjord could also be an option if you want to see the Hardangerjøkulen glacier.

Thanks so much and I appreciate your help.

Hi there - Se my comments in "red":)

The skylift is hailed to be THE new attraction when it opens in May this year.

As of now I have not heard of any bus schedule but I am confident there will be busses and taxis available at the pier in Olden.

They have busses for all the other attractions so for sure they will have to the Skylift also.

The drive from the pier to Loen is only about 10 minutes.

https://hovenloen.no/english/

Hi Lars,

As long as long there are taxi's or buses, we'll be set. All the info you are sharing is such a wonderful help to us cruisers. Thanks so much!

HI Lars,

What a wonderful thread! Thank you.

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find it. We will be in Alesund on Crown Princess. Would like to walk from the cruise port to the steps to go up Mt Aksla and we're looking for specific directions on the route to take. We'd rather walk than take the train but don't want to get lost and have to walk more than necessary. Thanks in advance.

HI Lars,

What a wonderful thread! Thank you.

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find it. We will be in Alesund on Crown Princess. Would like to walk from the cruise port to the steps to go up Mt Aksla and we're looking for specific directions on the route to take. We'd rather walk than take the train but don't want to get lost and have to walk more than necessary. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the kind words.

This has become a huge thread so some information might have been lost somewhere:) Tho this is a perfect opportunity to bring the info back forward.

Its easy to find Byparken (the town park) where the start of the steps are.

The park is just behind Kulturhuset (concert hall) and Parken Hotel.

As shown on the map the route takes about 15 minutes from the cruise terminal.

I enclose a route map with info how to get to the viewpoint.

The map starts at Ålesund rutebil stasjon (the busterminal)..The large pier on the map is where you will dock.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/%C3%A5lesund+rutebilstasjon/Byparken+i+%C3%85lesund,+%C3%85lesund/@62.4724464,6.154113,16z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x4616da47802db34b:0x38dcb6621ccd5e56!2m2!1d6.15417!2d62.4705!3m4!1m2!1d6.157504!2d62.4713348!3s0x4616da47108b8b01:0x2f6af77b1f9ed78c!1m5!1m1!1s0x4616da4145bd86dd:0x8fc2c7607d257013!2m2!1d6.1629002!2d62.4739255!3e2

If you look closely at the map you can turn right by Scandic Parken Hotel (Lihauggata) This will save you a few minutes.

It really is a small town so its easy to find your way around.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice on the cinnamon buns! We had some with delicious coffee in the Racoon Bar! Expensive, but very good. The free wifi was useful, as was the clean, free, restroom!

Had a very enjoyable visit to Alesund, a very pretty town.

Glad you enjoyed Racoon and the cinnamon buns:) I go there all the time for my coffee fix.

Hi Lars-

The Avis/Budget locations in town by the terminal are sold out for our date (7 Jun). Do you have any experience with the Hertz location located ~10k east of the terminal? What method of transportation would you recommend other than the obvious taxi? Any buses? It's always frustrating trying to secure a taxi to go 6 miles when most of them are hoping for all day fares. And might have similar issues trying to return after dropping off the car after a long day's drive.

We did look at Europcar which was only ~2k east, but they were $100 more expensive.