How much CCL stock required for discounts?

ljinnc

If you don't already own the shares it may not be worth the purchase. However, as a long term shareholder I have been rewarded several times, including on their "family of lines" (Holland and Princess). :) Do your research.

• 2 months later...
If you don't already own the shares it may not be worth the purchase. However, as a long term shareholder I have been rewarded several times, including on their "family of lines" (Holland and Princess). :) Do your research.

Considering how cheap the shares are currently, why wouldn't it be worth it? They're about half the price of RCI.

Buy the stock in both yours and your spouses name. If you travel with friends or family book yourself in one cabin and book your spouse in the other. Then you can use the discount for both cabins.

Considering how cheap the shares are currently, why wouldn't it be worth it? They're about half the price of RCI.

I bought CCL in 2009 for $24.00 a share. At the time RCI was $15 a share. Look at them today. CCL doubled while RCI more than quadrupled.

...funny! Please consider market cap between the two 16.76B (RCL) 37.16B (CCL) and this may help explain the share price difference between the two. Btw Ford shares are trading at $15 while Tesla shares are nearing $250.

RCL most recently guided down. CCL will be releasing Q1/Q2 earnings (fiscal qt end May) on 6/23 and would expect to guide lower. They will blame fuel price increasing.

Long term, your call. Short term, still your call but you may find that the $100 OBC was offset with a $2 decline per share. CCL just ran up 10% and hit their ceiling at $48. If you are "investing" for CCL loyalty, great; if you are investing for profitability, at the moment, there are better opportunities elsewhere.

Frank12 and spearnreel thanks for the mini-tutorial! Also spearnreel, funny, I was just looking at TSLA.

But yes, I didn't consider the differences in profitability versus 'loyalty'. In your research, which are the biggest lines for market share? Also do you think tourism prospects in Cuba and the potential influx of cash from new port itineraries less than 90 miles away from US shores would have a positive affect on shares overall? Genuine question as I like to plan long-term.

Edited by cruisevv

Frank12 and spearnreel thanks for the mini-tutorial! Also spearnreel, funny, I was just looking at TSLA.

But yes, I didn't consider the differences in profitability versus 'loyalty'. In your research, which are the biggest lines for market share? Also do you think tourism prospects in Cuba and the potential influx of cash from new port itineraries less than 90 miles away from US shores would have a positive affect on shares overall? Genuine question as I like to plan long-term.

I would pay more consideration to the growing cruise demand in Asia than that of Cuba being added to the itinerary. Even more, pay attention to what is going on around us. I think fuel prices will have the most impact near term. Interest rate increase will begin to impact the market (if only psychologically). With just these two role players, the mentality is that 1. CCL pays more for fuel (impacts earnings) 2. consumer pays more for fuel and budgets less for vacations and spending while on vacation (impacts earnings) 3. Cruise operator and consumer pays more towards interest, again less vacation and spending. And then there is always the unforseen "sickness" outbreaks or ship failures that cause sharp sell offs. If anyone has insight on any positive impacts coming forth CCL, please disclose.

Buy the stock in both yours and your spouses name. If you travel with friends or family book yourself in one cabin and book your spouse in the other. Then you can use the discount for both cabins.

I'm just curious - how would one handle receiving the discount with CCL when you purchased the stock through a broker? Generally when purchasing through a broker your name is not actually on the stock or bond certificate. The name that appears on the certificate is that of your broker, referred to as being held "in street name".

I believe CCL is at or near it's high for a while. If you cruise a lot and keep getting the on board credit several times a year plus the dividend it may still be a good deal for you. It has been great for me. If looking for long term, I think I'd let it come down some before buying.

I also think the Asian market will affect cruise stocks more than Cuba.

With all that being said, I am not a financial wizard or stock broker....but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D

I'm just curious - how would one handle receiving the discount with CCL when you purchased the stock through a broker? Generally when purchasing through a broker your name is not actually on the stock or bond certificate. The name that appears on the certificate is that of your broker, referred to as being held "in street name".

Get a statement that will have your name and your shares held and send the statement to Carnival. That is exactly how we do it.

I would pay more consideration to the growing cruise demand in Asia than that of Cuba being added to the itinerary. Even more, pay attention to what is going on around us. I think fuel prices will have the most impact near term. Interest rate increase will begin to impact the market (if only psychologically). With just these two role players, the mentality is that 1. CCL pays more for fuel (impacts earnings) 2. consumer pays more for fuel and budgets less for vacations and spending while on vacation (impacts earnings) 3. Cruise operator and consumer pays more towards interest, again less vacation and spending. And then there is always the unforseen "sickness" outbreaks or ship failures that cause sharp sell offs. If anyone has insight on any positive impacts coming forth CCL, please disclose.

This is great information as was the note about market cap vs. share price (I was going to post the same until I saw your post).

• 1 month later...

I bought 100 shares to get the OBC and set a limit sell when the cost rose enough to cover commission. Except I cant math and set the limit at commission + $150. I literally have no idea how I made that mistake.

Stock hit my limit the day after I got the confirmation letter with the buy, so I got $100 OBC and $150 in cap gains.