Castaway cay parasailing winds

chaserdog53

I have heard before that parasailing is one of the activities that gets canceled a lot due to winds. Does anyone know what threshold they use? I looked around and saw anywhere from 15-20 knots, but obviously if there is lightning in the area it would get cancelled even if winds were lighter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have heard before that parasailing is one of the activities that gets canceled a lot due to winds. Does anyone know what threshold they use? I looked around and saw anywhere from 15-20 knots, but obviously if there is lightning in the area it would get cancelled even if winds were lighter

Why exactly do you wish to know?

I'm failing to understand how just the wind speed is relevant?

Wave height for the boat, direction, sustained wind speeds or just wind gusts.

Also I believe the tour operators come from Sandy point on Great Abaco Island, so wave height could be a problem for them to reach CC too.

Why do you wish to know the exact maximum wind speed the parasailing is permitted to take place?

ex techie

.... I have been to castaway many times and would say that about 40% of the time I have been there

:confused:

I realize the ship misses CC often, but 40 %?

:)

When we have made it to CC many times, it has been 100 % of the time, when we have been there. fwiw :p

Of course other times we missed CC, then we were not there 100% of the time. :D

Edited by bear3412

15 -20 knots (around 23 mph) sounds about right, ... when parasailing is cancelled at CC.

But, ..... waves and currents have a play too.

The folks who operate said venture come from another island.

If conditions are currently poor they won't come over.

But also if they are predicted to be poor they may not come too.

Including on their island.

So it's one of those balancing acts with weather dictating.

But you are correct, parasailing is the most canceled excursion at CC.

Book the earliest time slot IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

As techie pointed out, it isn't just a matter of what the weather situation is at your scheduled time, but also what it was earlier in the day.

The tour operators come from nearby islands. If the waves are such that it isn't safe for their small boats, the activities will be canceled. Sometimes they start with a morning cancelation and if weather improves they are able to arrive for the afternoon. Then, after the operators are safely on the island, the decision is made for the various activities. Parasailing is definitely one of the most wind and wave sensitive.

I doubt that anyone except DCL has kept track of how often it is canceled or whether this is more likely in some seasons. What you do know is that if it is canceled, your onboard account will see a full refund.

30 DCL cruises....I can't tell you how many had a scheduled stop at Castaway. I know we've seen parasailing and seen ALL activities canceled.

Good luck.