Anyone book thru priceline for family of 4?

Hoping for some help from you guys! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I am soooo tempted to try out priceline, since it seems like a great deal, and we're traveling via car to/from port in Galveston (we're in Nebraska). We'll end up with at least 3 or 4 different nights in hotels at differing stops along the way. With that many hotel stays, I'd like to plan out our trip and give priceline a try and maybe save quite a bit of money.

I'd really appreciate hearing from those of you that have used priceline when traveling with more than the double occupancy that they guarantee. Did you have any problems getting a room with 2 beds? Did they ask you how many were in your group when you checked in? Did they assess any additional fees for kids traveling with you? Any input would be GREATLY appeciated! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Penny
Disney Magic~~Eastern 7/03
Carnival Celebration~~Western 3/04
Aug 1, 2004 Carnival Elation--Yippee, Our 3rd Cruise!!!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

We have used Priceline once and Hotwire many times. They both have the same rule in regard to double occupancy (only one bed guaranteed). Interestingly, many of the online booking agencies also do not guarantee bedding if you read the fine print. Anyway, the process we use is this: Book your room, then call the hotel directly and request 2 double beds. If the beds are available they will give them to you. If they are not available, request that you get them should there be a cancellation. If they confirm the double beds you are fine. If they say they don't have them available, pack sleeping bags in duffle bags for the kids. The vast majority of the time we have had absolutely no problem getting the 2 beds. I have heard there is a higher likelihood of problems in certain cities, like New York, where many hotel rooms only have beds for 2. When we check in we usually just have hubby do the checkin and then we join him to go directly to the room rather than all standing in the lobby making it obvious there are four of us. We have never had a problem with this. I don't know if hotels would be pickier if the additional people were adults, but most hotels let kids stay free anyway. When we stayed at a Hilton in Anaheim we booked 2 suites on Hotwire and even received the free breakfast coupons for all seven in the party no problem. We thought they might only allow 4 breakfasts. If two beds are essential to the success of your trip, I'd seek out other discounts. But, if you are willing to chance it, we have saved a ton of money on Hotwire. Be sure to research the going rates on rooms in the area before you book though, the deals are not always much better than you can get yourself other ways.

Ellya:

thanks for the reply, and I really appreciate the detail you gave---very helpful!

I think we've decided to use Priceline (or Hotwire) but to try for 2 rooms, since we have invited our DD's best friend to join us, now making us a group of 6. I will still use your advice on calling & asking for 2 beds, as we'll have 3 in each room and could still use the extra bed, but if we don't get one, we'll still be ok. by bringing the sleeping bags. Again, thanks very much for the info.

Penny
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

I have used priceline many times and have never had a problem getting 2 beds. I just always call the hotel after I have booked and request 2 beds and non-smoking. But, I always accept that the kids could get stuck on the floor. I might not chance it if we were staying long. I usually just book 1 or 2 nights. I find it hard to pay full price anymore for a hotel. Priceline works great for us.

First Cruise Explorer of the Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2004;7;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Ditto to Cotegirlsmom.

I've used Priceline quite a bit and have always gotten a room with two beds. The only place I've heard you are not guaranteed room for 4 people is NYC.

Good luck

Princess SS Oceanic-1979 Before it became the Big Red Boat
Will cruise or bust!

Well, actually you are never guaranteed a room for 4, and I have had it happen to us in Portland, Oregon. I will say however that our booking was very last minute and we got a fabulous price ($27 for the Doubletree), so we put up with only one bed.

Just thought I'd post an update. We ended up bidding for 2 rooms in a hotel at Texas City instead of at Galveston (hotels in Gal. were REALLY high $$ and Texas City is only like 11 miles away). Texas city only had 1* & 2*'s avail. so we went with 2*. Booked just 1 night pre-cruise and had bid for $38 accepted (tried lower bids that were rejected). So we'll have 2 rooms for total of $93 at La Quinta (kids can enjoy the pool & free cont. breakfast). 2 rooms there through priceline is still lower than just 1 room at Galveston during this time frame, so I think we can be happy about what we got. Thanks everyone for the help, I appreciated the answers and they gave me the courage to give it a go.

Penny

I've never had a problem getting 2 beds. We did want a King bed once however and all they had left were doubles. It was a last minute booking. Just call ahead though. No biggie for us though. For Priceline's prices, I'll take anything!

Kathi

Car Destiny-W Caribbean-6/1/00
Sovereign - Bahamas - 6/15/01
Star Princess-Alaska-7/16/02
Navigator-E Caribbean-8/02/03
Mariner-W Caribbean-01/25/04
Caribbean Princess - 9/25/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
UNTIL THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS !!!!!!

Archived