Moderate priced lunch and dinner recommendation in Barcelona?

My husband and I will have a day and a half in Barcelona next week before our Brilliance of the Seas cruise starts on May 22. Any recommendations for moderate priced lunch and dinner?

Barcelona is a big city...if you gave us an idea of where you'll be around meal times you'll likely get more relevant recommendations.

On day 1, we had a light lunch at La Boqueria. We didn't sit for a full meal, but rather bought just one item wherever it looked/smelled good. A large fruit salad was about 2 euro, baguettes or pastries about 1 euro. There were several "cafes" with bar-style seating serving freshly cooked meat or seafood for very affordable prices. Tapa-size portions for 3-5 euro, raciones for 5-7 euro, or entrees for about 10 euro. Drinks of all varieties were also reasonably priced. A fruit salad, racion, and pastry for dessert would be no more than 10 euro. It makes walking around La Boqueria more fun too, as you remember where you want to eat. Don't be afraid to elbow your way up to the counter when you see an opening and feel free to ask for whatever someone else is having if it looks good and you don't know what it's called.

Later that day we ate dinner at Nuria, at the northern end of Las Ramblas near Plaza Catalunya. The food was very reasonable, about 10 euro for an entree. It was touristy, yes, and not the most authentic but good, quick, and affordable. The spinach ravioli (which was actually a tortellini; their translation was a little off ;)) was delicious and their roast chicken was also good. There were hundreds of other restaurants on Las Ramblas, all with varying menus and prices. Most have menus posted at the door so you can check before you sit. Lots of fast food choices as well, some American (McDonalds) and others were Spanish chains.

On day 2, we had lunch at Origen 99'9%, a quick walk from the Sagrada Familia on Avenida Gaudi. They have an extensive menu, with pictures and English translations (though the waiters didn't all speak English so you may have to order in Spanish). Items can be purchased a la carte, or they offered a menu of the day...there were about 3 choices for each course (appetizer, entree, dessert) and included your choice of beverage for I think 12 euro. The meatballs were tasty, the canneloni a little too rich, the coca bread divine, and the rice pudding soupy. That's all I remember so somehow I missed two of our choices...

For dinner that day we get doner kebap from a small restaurant because we were still stuffed from lunch. Not Spanish food by any means but we were tired from a long day and not that hungry, so it hit the spot and was easy on the wallet - about 4 euro each and loaded with your choice of toppings.

We have eaten at Ciudad Condal , a tapas restaurant on Rambla de Catalunya, which is just up from the Ramblas. Very resasonably priced and good tasting tapas. They have menus tgat are in English. Tends to get very busy, so you may have a wait. Less busy earlier in the evening.

Most of the tapas restaurants on Rambla de Catalunya are good and reasonable (most have English menus too). There are a couple there that we go to whenever in Barcelona (the only name I can think of off the top of my head is Tapas, Tapas). While the restaurants in this area are still somewhat touristy, they are not quite as touristy as many of the ones on Las Ramblas. I love that you can try so many different foods with tapas!

We thoroughly enjoyed Taller De Tapas for a late lunch/early dinner on our first day in Barcelona. Items can be ordered ala carte. I particularly loved their mussels, garlic prawns and their potato salad! Also they had some excellent white house wine that hit the spot. Very reasonable prices, we thought. http://www.tallerdetapas.com/

We thoroughly enjoyed Taller De Tapas for a late lunch/early dinner on our first day in Barcelona. Items can be ordered ala carte. I particularly loved their mussels, garlic prawns and their potato salad! Also they had some excellent white house wine that hit the spot. Very reasonable prices, we thought. http://www.tallerdetapas.com/

You're making me hungry:) This is one of the locations we've enjoyed when in Barcelona.

If you are big fans of seafood. You acn try these two restaurants along the port area.

Can Ros

Address: Almirall Aixada, 7 08003 Barcelona (Barceloneta)

- They serve excellent fishes / seafood there. I'm never fond of fish but they served the most memorable fish I ever had.

- We've order three entrees and the bill was about 50Euro

El Rey de las Gambas

Address: Passeig de Joan de Borbó, 46, 08003 Barcelona (Barceloneta)

- This restuarant is more for casual dining. We've ordered a seafood plate to share among the three of us (picture: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1355/1107496958_56430919dd_o.jpg),

it was so big that we couldn't finish it.

- The bill was about 35Euro

The restaurants are within 2 minutes walk from each other. My suggestion for you is to go there and check it out, then decide which one you like better.

Here is the map for you to locate the restaurants: http://www.lovento.com/en/venues/spain/barcelona/tourism/harbours/port_vell/venue_maps/

There is a restaurant on Las Ramblas that we've eaten at a few times... it is near the top, left hand side if you are walking up (water to your back). It is called La Poma Cafe. It has a big neon 'apple' logo... it is good, and affordable and has a pretty varied menu.

Thank you for all the great response. We are staying at the Renaissance at the airport but hope to do some touring around the city.

Not sure why you are staying out by the airport. There are many nice hotels in the center of the city and IMHO you would get much more out of Barcelona by staying in the city center.

We got a good rate at Avenida Palace which is in a very convenient location in the city (near Placa Catalunya). Others on our sailing got some good deals on other hotels downtown too. We could have gotten a hotel a bit cheaper by the airport, but quickly realized that the cost of going back and forth would pretty much negate the savings (plus, being able to go back to the hotel for a short rest was invaluable).

The aerobus goes from the airport to Placa Catalunya regularly and is not 7.30 Euros roundtrip per person. The other options are train (not sure of price) and taxi (aprox 25 Euros each way). Remember that it will take 20 - 30 minutes each way (possibly longer at peak times).

Thank you for all the great response. We are staying at the Renaissance at the airport but hope to do some touring around the city.

You will have a lovely time. We also stayed at the Renaissance since we had enough points for our stay (2 nights). Yes, it is far out of the city but we felt it was easy to get to the city and it didn't cut into our touring time...only our sleep! Here are some tips to getting to from the city:

• Take the Renfe Cercania train from the airport to the city and transfer to the Metro as needed. Make sure you time it right so you don't have to wait too long for the next train ;) It leaves the airport on the :08 and :38 of every hour. Between the airport shuttle, walking to the train station, the train itself, and the metro to where you need to be in the city, allow about an hour each way.
  • Take the free shuttle from the hotel to Pl. Espanya (only offered at 9am & 10am or returning at 5pm & 6pm) where you can catch the metro. It takes about 20 minutes.
  • Take the shuttle to the airport and then take the Aerobus from the airport to Pl. Espanya where you can catch the metro. Allow 30 minutes to get the airport shuttle and then the Aerobus to Pl. Espanya. The aerobus also continues onto several other places in the city if you heading somewhere they stop at.
  • Take a cab. From Pl. Espanya to the airport was 16 euro + tip.
  • Take the shuttle to Las Ramblas for 6 euro per person each way. We didn't try this because we found the times inconvenient (11am or 1pm, returning at 8:30pm or 10:30pm)
  • There was also a public bus to the city (about 1.50 euro each way) but when they gave us directions to the bus stop, it seemed too confusing.

If you are paying for the hotel, I would advise staying closer to the city center for convenience. However, if it's free, it's worth the time it takes to get into the city :) The hotel itself was immacuately clean, and the staff were welcoming and beyond helpful.

Second vote for Taller De Tapas ;)

Archived