Fly Fishing - Juneau

goldeneagle

If you're talking about the Flyout Fly Fishing experience, through Bear Creek Outfitters, my husband and I just did that August 11. (We sailed on HAL, but it's probably the same excursion. I tried to book it on our own, but you can only book it through the cruise lines.)

This was the absolute highlight of our cruise, and we will definitely be doing it again. It was a rainy day, so the only disappointment was we didn't get to take very many pictures.

There were 6 in our group, plus 2 guides. We took a float plane to Admiralty Island--which just happens to have the highest concentration of bears in the US. (Or something like that.)

They taught us how to fly fish, and one of the guides, a 16-yr old kid, stayed with me--he was determined that I was going to land one, which I did.:D

We saw lots of eagles, salmon were everywhere...and bears. We encountered 8 grizzlies. One mama with 3 cubs (which apparently is very rare) actually charged us. :eek: (The guide carries a shotgun, but thankfully he didn't have to use it.) We must have been fishing in her spot, and she let us know in no uncertain terms that we needed to leave.

It was a real Alaskan experience--one we'll talk about for the rest of our lives. And a great way to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

So, have I sold the excursion? We've been on two Alaska cruises, and this was by far the best--and we've been on some other great excursions too.

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Sheri

My family has been to Alaska twice and the men have done the Fly Out Fly Fishing excursion both times. I booked it again for them this cruise coming up, Aug. 22nd. I tried to do it independently with Bear Creek Outfitters but as previous poster said it could only be done through ship. We had a card from the fellow who took them both other times and he had told them he was going out on his own so next time to contact him directly and he would take them. We lost the card though and I am probably more confident with this one on my family doing it through the ship. They loved it and it was amazing they said. Soooooo many salmon. Saw whales, eagles, etc., but no bears either time. They saw bear "droppings" but I am just as glad they did't see bears. I have always wanted to see bears on our trip but am so scared of them. I always worried about them until they returned to ship. There are some brave people on these boards. You will have an awsome time, enjoy!!;)

Thank you both for your replies...and yes I am sold! My sister and I are travelling with our parents for their 50th wedding anniversary. My dad and I are scheduled for the fly out fishing. I do have a couple more questions. What is the terrain like and how far do you hike to the fishing destination? Also, what kind of clothing and shoes did you wear? Thanks again for the information....can't wait! Patty

goldeneagle,

So glad to hear you're going on the trip--especially with your dad. You'll both have a blast.

The terrain is sort of sandy/rocky. We were dropped off on a sandbar, right where the river/stream dumps in. That terrain was sand and lots of little rocks. Apparently the trip usually starts there with the fly fishing lessons, but it was too windy and stormy the day we went, so we walked up the river just a bit.

I'd say the total normal walking is less than 200 yards--sort of working your way up the river/stream. Most of the walking is on the edge of the stream--mostly muddy. Because of us being surrounded by bears, we had to do some extra hiking/walking over grassy/marshy terrain. There was a gentleman who was in his 70's on our trip, and he had the hardest time with the walking. He was fine, he just had to go a bit slower.

We wore lots of layers, because it was cold. They provide you with waders and raincoats. (You can wear your own raincoat, but we were glad we used theirs because there is the possibility of getting a little muddy.) Also, you don't wear shoes (you leave those in a cubby), so your shoes are irrelevant. I, personally, had on thermals, plus a turtleneck, another shirt, and a sweatshirt. On the bottom I had tights and jeans, plus two pair of socks, and a third pair that they loan you. Again, it was pretty cold when we were there, and I don't like to be cold. Oh, and I also wore a beanie. :D

Also, don't plan on taking a backpack with you--they'll ask you to leave that in the cubby, too. We did take our camera (there is a huge chest pocket on the waders that we carried it in). And there are plenty of other pockets for anything you might need with you, like medications. (I have to carry an epipen.)

This is probably more info than you needed/wanted, but I just get so excited talking about this trip. :)

Ask anything else you may want to know.

Sheri

Sheri,

We've enjoyed every detail of your posting...thank you so much! I just ordered my hiking shoes, rain jacket, and rain pants from Cabelas bargain cave. I figure I may need them in our ports since it has been a rainy August.

We planned our Alaska trip last Thanksgiving and my sister and I are really excited about vacationing together with our parents. The last time we did that was like 25 years ago (way before husbands and kids). Anyway, us girls are in our 40's, mom is 60'ish and dad is in his 70's. I don't worry at all about dad keeping up ... he's very young spirited and most likely will be leading the group (behind the armed guides of course!)

Take a look at our other excursions, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Patty (Ann Arbor, MI)

Juneau-Mom and sister- Mendenhall Glacier... I'd like to do Mt Roberts Tram after fly fishing if possible

Skagway-White Pass RR w/possible emerald lake or street car tour

Ketchikan-Float plane Misty Fjords

Victoria-Butchart Gardens...Dad and sister going to Ghosts and Grave tour

Patty,

I had hiking shoes and a (almost) full length rain jacket from Cabela's bargain cave, too. Very glad I did, as it rained our entire cruise.

We had planned on going into town after the fly fishing excursion, but we didn't make it. We got back to the ship around 5:00, and I was starving. We thought we'd grab a quick bite, and head back to town. Instead, we grabbed a quick bite and headed to the hydrotherapy pool and thermal suite. :D (We sailed on HAL.) We've been on 2 Alaska cruises, and still haven't been to downtown Juneau.

If the weather is like it was the day we were there, you might want to rethink the tram thing. Most people said they couldn't see anything because it was completely cloudy. If you haven't been to the glacier, and have energy and time after the fishing, I'd recommend that.

We weren't in Skagway this time, but we were last time. We didn't do a tour, but I understand that the Whitepass RR is a must-do. We just walked around the town, and to an old cemetery. The whole place is a very touristy ghost town atmosphere. I'd do the RR.

Didn't do Misty fjords in Ketchikan, but again, according to these boards, that is a must. (We were out of energy and excursion money by the time we hit Ketchikan.) The first time we were there, we did (what else?) fly fishing. :D This time we just walked around. (We didn't have that long in port.) It was pouring rain, we got soaked, and it was basically miserable. I did take all our little coupons and do the scavenger hunt thing for the cheapie souvenirs. (t-shirts, beanies, etc.)

Victoria--I wish we had done the garden tour, although people said there really wasn't enough time; they felt very rushed. We walked into town (we like to walk a lot), and just looked around.

Sorry I can't be much help on your other excursions, but it sounds like you've really done your research. Can't wait to hear about your fishing trip.

Sheri

Hi Sheri,

Your right...I'm not pre booking the Tram. We'll get to see from above in our plane ride. I'm going to try to make it to Mendenhall. We are in Juneau until 10pm with our fishing tour ending at 6pm.

Speaking of fishing..did you bring bug spray? Will I need a screened cap?

Patty

Patty,

We didn't bring bug spray...the guide said he had it if we needed it. We did have a couple of mosquitoes, but it was raining most of the time, so no bugs for us. I'll bet when it's not raining, that can be a real issue. I think I'm remembering that the guide said he had netting for our faces if needed, too. So it sounds like they have you covered (pun intended). :D

Sheri

Thanks Sheri. We leave in 3 days and I'm so excited! I just received my hiking boots and rain gear from Cabelas and everything fits great. I also purchased a gore-tex rain hat...I'm all set to pack up and go. Thanks for all your help.

Patty

Archived