Cave Tubing with Coral Breeze

shirleygr

Hi, all.

Been back a week and finally have a few minutes to post. We had another great excursion with Coral Breeze. We met up with them at the Wet Lizard, no problem, to find our excursion time had been delayed due to our ship arriving late to port, so we had some unexpected early shopping time. (I found a table runner at The Loom I just had to have and will be using it on my table for Thanksgiving!) We wandered for awhile and then returned to meet up with our driver and off we went. I am very much a backseat driver (just ask my dh), but I felt completely at ease with JR and his driving. We had a lovely ride through Belize City and on the Western Highway. The road from the Western Highway to the cave site was very "rustic." When we arrived, we had time to use the restroom and get our tubes and then it was our walk through the rainforest. Crossing the river was certainly an adventure in itself since the current was very strong. Embarrassing moment: I had my waterproof camera in the pocket of my water shorts and the current took it right out of my shorts! JR saved it for me. It never left my wrist after that!

Because the hurricane season has been so active, the trail was very muddy and slippery in spots. I have been recovering from achilles tendonitis and it was a very strenuous hike for me, and I would think anyone with mobility issues could have a problem with the trail. But it was well worth the effort. We walked through a really cool dry cave with awesome rock formations and saw bats up in a crevass (sp?) in the ceiling. Then it was a bit further to the river and we had quite a rain storm just as we reached the clearing to the river bank. Because the river was high, we had to wear life jackets, of course we didn't have to worry about bottoming out either! :)

The caves were just beautiful and well worth the hike. We were hooked in pairs and my husband did the paddling and steering so I could take pictures. I can't begin to describe the experience as words would not do it justice. Let me just say this is a very unique, once-in-a-lifetime experience that is well worth your time and money.

After the caving, we had a short hike back to the main area where we dropped off our lights and tubes and had a fantastic lunch at the little restaurant there. Very tasty chicken and salad with rice and beans and some sort of herbed bread. Then it was back to Belize City and the Toursim Village with plenty of time to shop before returning to the ship.

I felt our guide did a great job keeping track of us, doing frequent headcounts and showed great concern for our safety. Several times, he left his tube to help a mother and daughter team who were having problems steering and helped a young boy who was bumped out of his tube on the "rapids".

We are planning to return to Belize next November and will certainly use Coral Breeze again, probably doing snorkeling this time. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Archived