Conquest 11/13 Review

Squirtle

First let me thank all you CC'ers for the great advice and tips that helped make our first cruise a great experience. Here's a brief review of the highlights:

Embarkation wasvery smooth! We arrived at the cruise terminal at 11:15 and were on board by 12:30. Remember -- blue chairs, back and left! The room was full and we were indeed one of the earliest groups to board.

The ship was beautiful. We had a balcony stateroom on the Empress deck aft, a great place to be. Our cabin steward was fabulous -- the room was always spotless.

Early seating in the Renoir dining room was great. Service was terrific and we enjoyed the food. We ate lunch most sea days at the buffet and also had great deli sandwiches, burgers, and pizza.

We went to Sunset Beach in Jamaica. Even with the price increase, we thought it was a good deal ($40.00 adults, $20.00 kids). The new water park is nice -- a couple of fast water slides and a long lazy river. The kids snorkeled and kayaked, and we had a few drinks and a nice lunch.

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum tour in Grand Cayman with Native Way. Great crew on board the boat. The water was very choppy, so we couldn't snorkle at the coral reef. We did see some nice fish at a different spot. The stingrays were great, but the water was a bit rough. The stingray tours booked through Carnival were cancelled because of the rough seas, so I'm glad we booked independently. One of the women on our tour forgot her medication, which was badly needed. The crew made a special trip to get her back to the dock early, and the rough seas caused them to be later than usual to pick us up afterwards from the private beach we were on. We made it back to the dock at 2:59 and caught one of the last tenders back to the ship, which was kind of scary.

Unfortunately, we were unable to go ashore in Cozumel due to rough seas, and everyone was very disappointed. They tried to tie up the tenders to the ship for over an hour and were unable to do it. The RC ship nearby was having the same problem, so we ended up with another day at sea. The destruction was quite visible from the ship. None of the beachfront hotels have any windows left.

Our one complaint was the show schedule. Since the All Star Smooth Jazz group had a private show each evening in the lounge, we had only one show each night at 11:00PM, which was very late for the kids. Other guests who were experienced cruisers were also complaining about this. We were treated to a free jazz show by the pool on Saturday afternoon, which was great.

I was very worried about debarkation after reading the posted reviews from the past few weeks. It went great -- we were off the ship and through customs by 10:00AM, with plenty of time to drive back to Houston for our afternoon flight. I think even Carnival was surprised at how smooth it was going.

Already making plans for another cruise. It was simply the best vacation we've ever had.

Thanks for the opinion on Sunset Beach - we were still on the fence about going, but we will give it a try. Especially since there's the possibility we can't tender into Cozumel, if we end up having the same problem you did, we might as well have our big beach day in Jamaica just in case.

What order were the decks called for debarkation?

ALSO - what is the weather like in Galveston? And did it stay warm through the last day as sea, or did it start to get chilly on Saturday?

We were in cabin 7392. The beach at Sunset Beach was very nice, and the water was warm. There were only a few people from the Conquest there, so I wonder if the recent price increase is keeping people away.

The weather in Galveston when we left for the cruise was in the mid-80's, but it was only about 60 degrees when we got back. Debarkation was called by luggage tag color, and it started with black, turqouise, and beige. Luckily we were in the next group, which was blue and yellow.

My favorite thing to do was hang out at the pool on sea days. The kids were in the water and on the slide constantly, the bar service was great, and we were close to the food. Plus there was live music each day and plenty of fun games (the hairy chest contestants were a riot). There were not many kids on board last week, and we never had a problem getting a deck chair. One of the crew told us they expected 1,200 children on this week's cruise, due to the holiday! And we didn't lose a single pool towel all week!

I don't think I could handle being on a cruise with 1200 kids, and neither could my children! We're going next week, and I'm hoping most kids will be in school rather than on our cruise! My kids are hoping for a FEW other kids their age to play with, but they wouldn't go to Camp Carnival if it was packed wall to wall with kids.

My kids found a few others to hang out with at the pool, and Camp Carnival didn't seem all that crowded the afternoon my 9-year-old was there using the Playstation.

One other thing -- we were surprised at the number of people who did not dress for dinner. We saw lots of shorts and jeans every night, except formal nights. Out headwaitress told us they don't enforce the dress code because they don't want to upset the guests.

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum tour in Grand Cayman with Native Way. Great crew on board the boat. The water was very choppy, so we couldn't snorkle at the coral reef. We did see some nice fish at a different spot. The stingrays were great, but the water was a bit rough. The stingray tours booked through Carnival were cancelled because of the rough seas, so I'm glad we booked independently. One of the women on our tour forgot her medication, which was badly needed. The crew made a special trip to get her back to the dock early, and the rough seas caused them to be later than usual to pick us up afterwards from the private beach we were on. We made it back to the dock at 2:59 and caught one of the last tenders back to the ship, which was kind of scary.

Were you in port from 7am - 4pm? Was the time of your last tender 3pm? I am on the Liberty and we are supposed to be in GC until 5pm, so I'm wondering if our last tender time will be at 4:30? or 4pm? Thanks to anyone that may know! Our tour is supposed to finish up at 2:45pm, so hopefully that will allow time for rough seas, etc.

Glad you had fun on the RRR tour! That's a shame it got somewhat disrupted b/c of the other pax medicine. I wouldve been really nervous about missing the tender too!! But we have heard nothing but good things about Nativeway and RRR and can't wait til our turn!! :)

Thanks so much for the wonderful review! We will be on the 12/11 sailing and are getting so excited. We are a bit disappointed that we weren't able to see New Orleans but that just gives us a reason to try for another cruise out of NO.

We plan to go to Sunset Beach also. We would pay $40/pp for an excursion so I guess it evens out in the long run. Are there lockers there or any place to secure your money? I would think it would be difficult to keep track of money while swimming, etc.

Was the water in the pools on the ship cold, cool, tepid, etc? I've been in some pretty cold water on ships before and hope it will be at least semi-warm.

Glad to hear you were off the ships and through customs in a timely manner. We have a 10:30 shuttle to catch and a 1:30 flight back to Oklahoma City. I've been pretty worried about it but hey, we will deal with whatever happens.

Thanks again for the super review. I can't wait to add ours!

GCBanks,

We were on Conquest 11-06. We did self disembark and were in our car by 7:10. They called the floors in order from top to bottom and it took no time. We were called down at 6:20 am. This may be an option for you so you can be sure you don't miss your flight. This was my third cruise and we always self-disembark

Thanks for the review. As for waiting in the blue chairs, back and left, is that left as you are looking at the Carnival employees, or is it left from their perspective? I need to remember this big tip for my Conquest 1/1 cruise!

Did you take kids on the RRR tour? Were there kids on the tour? If so, what age range? Thanks so much for your review and tips. I certainly hope there are no changes to the shows while we are on the ship- this is one of our favorite parts and we are not late owls. We're on the Conquest in March 06- can't wait!

Were you in port from 7am - 4pm? Was the time of your last tender 3pm? I am on the Liberty and we are supposed to be in GC until 5pm, so I'm wondering if our last tender time will be at 4:30? or 4pm? Thanks to anyone that may know! Our tour is supposed to finish up at 2:45pm, so hopefully that will allow time for rough seas, etc.

The Conquest was in Grand Cayman until 4pm, and the "last" tender was at 3pm. Don't panic about this deadline. "Last tender at 3:00" is cruise ship code for "Please do your best to be in line by 3:00." We were in line before 3, watched a tender leave at 2:59, and then got on the next one. And there were plenty more after that. I stood on Deck 12 with binoculars and watched tenders come to our ship past 3:30.

The part of your tour that will make you nervous about time is not the rough seas but the monumental traffic jams on the roads leading back to the port. But you'll make it. All of sudden the town pops up out of nowhere and there you are.

Have a great trip!

The Conquest was in Grand Cayman until 4pm, and the "last" tender was at 3pm. Don't panic about this deadline. "Last tender at 3:00" is cruise ship code for "Please do your best to be in line by 3:00." We were in line before 3, watched a tender leave at 2:59, and then got on the next one. And there were plenty more after that. I stood on Deck 12 with binoculars and watched tenders come to our ship past 3:30.

The part of your tour that will make you nervous about time is not the rough seas but the monumental traffic jams on the roads leading back to the port. But you'll make it. All of sudden the town pops up out of nowhere and there you are.

Have a great trip!

Thanks!! Since we have another hour there than some ships, I do feel a little better. Our tour is supposed to end at 2:45pm, our last tender should be at 4pm! Thanks! I'm so excited!

Yes, our kids were on the RRR tour (ages 13 and 9), and there were 4 other kids there as well. There were less than 25 people total on the tour, but many of the other boats were double-decker and crammed with people. The lunch at Rum Point was great.

Re: blue chairs -- facing the chairs, go to the back rows on the left.

I did not see any lockers at Sunset Beach. They take cash and credit cards at the desk where you get your wristbands.

Would you feel comfortable using your credit card at Sunset Beach? I'm trying to pack tonight and not sure how much cash to bring. Also, how much was the taxi there (there are 4 of us, 2 adults, and 2 kids). LASTLY, do they provide towels for you at Sunset Beach?

Would you feel comfortable using your credit card at Sunset Beach? I'm trying to pack tonight and not sure how much cash to bring. Also, how much was the taxi there (there are 4 of us, 2 adults, and 2 kids). LASTLY, do they provide towels for you at Sunset Beach?
We used our credit card there in August - no problems.

As far as what to do with your money. I bought these really neat "wrist wallets". At first my DH and my 18 yo son thought they were "hokey" until they used them - they used them the rest of the cruise. They were big enough for a credit card, your S&S card and some cash.Mine are similar to the ones at this website - http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/misc.htm - there are several out there if you look. I heard golf pro shops carry something similar also.

Thanks for the review we are sharing it in our YaHoo cruise Group. (Remember -- blue chairs, back and left! The room was full and we were indeed one of the earliest groups to board.)

First I have seen of this. I take it they board first?

Thanks, Eddie

We paid cash at Sunset Beach, but you'll be safe paying by credit card. You pay at the hotel lobby desk, and you have to leave your S&S cards at the desk. They give you a receipt and the cards are returned at the front gate when you leave. The taxi cost $2.00 per person and took about 3 minutes. We took our Carnival towels -- I did not see any place to get towels at Sunset Beach. The lazy river had plenty of the big tubes to use.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Ask for towel vouchers when you pay. They will give you one for each person in your party. The towel hut is next to the restrooms - which are next to the pool table and ping pong table. If you come from the looby - take a right when you get to the pool - go past the resturant (on your right) and turn right at the first opening - you will see the tables and the restrooms - keep going. The great thing is if the towel gets wet - you can exchange it for a dry one. Once you are done you need to turn the towel in and get a voucher back to turn in at the desk - so you don't get charged.

Rowan555., We are leaving This Sunday on the Conquest, and will be bringing our 9yr old Daughter, we are hoping it's not to crowded with kids everywhere, but there may be lots of folks thinking like we are and we'll end up with a ton of kids out of school :):eek:

Archived