Holland Motor Lodge in Jersey City?

cruise 4 fun

Has anyone stayed at the Holland Motor Lodge in Jersey City? We are trying to find an affordable place to stay and be able to get into NYC for a couple of days before we cruise.

It is in a very industrial area-next door to a VERY large cold storage. And dangerous at night with all the hookers, pimps and riff raff hanging out around the truck drivers who line up at the cold storage starting at midnight. You have to walk to the PATH/NJ transit and I sure wouldn't be walking around in that area much after 7:00PM. The diner that is close closes relatively early.

And if you have a car, driving into NYC is NOT a very good idea. Parking can easily run $40.00 per 8 hours, IF you can find parking. This motel sits right by the place where Mike Tyson threw the fit quite a few years ago and crashed his very expensive Bentley. He gave it to the Port Authority cops who came to investigate. There is a big sign in the cold storage "Mike, next time you crash, WE want the car".

IF you are flying, a taxi will cost about $50 from the airport and $50 to the port.

If you want easy access to NYC and relatively inexpensive lodging, take a look at the Secaucus/Meadowlands area. You can usually bid 3* on Priceline and get the Sheraton/Renaissance for $100 or less. And the Sheraton has shuttles to the train/bus into NYC. Or the Days Inn in North Bergen/Secaucus. The Days Inn used to be the Holiday Inn-someone posted they have a shuttle to NYC. Much safer area and about the same price.

We've stayed at the Hyatt Place (formerly AmeriSuites) in Secaucus. Very nice accomodations, spacious rooms (especially for a family), free continental breakfast and although we did not use it, a shuttle (fee) into NYC. It is within an area with office buildings, stores and restaurants. Good Luck

We stayed there, the nite before a cruise to Bermuda last May.. If it's the same one, it's right beside the Holland Tunnel, and if you go to their website, I think that there is a 20% discount coupon good until March 31st.. We are from Ottawa Ontario CA ..and were a little nervous about staying there ourselves, but it was fine.. The rooms were clean, and we had no problems.. and despite it's proximity to the Tunnel, it was surprisingly not noisey! It also has onsight parking, which is rare.. It's close to a mall, (if you need to buy any last minute items), and right near a Path Station into New York. I think we paid under $90 for the nite.. Great deal! We were leaving from the New Jersey Port and it wasn't too far away or hard to get there from the Hotel.. Good luck!

P

I've stayed here before when travelling alone and I have a pretty high tolerance for marginal properties, this place ranks as one of the most creepy. I just would not want to walk from here to the PATH station at night; I've stayed at about all of the EWR area hotels, the Comfort Inn in Long Island City and the Comfort Inn on McCarter Ave. in Newark. You would be better off staying at the Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, Hyatt or Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City.

I've stayed here before when travelling alone and I have a pretty high tolerance for marginal properties, this place ranks as one of the most creepy. I just would not want to walk from here to the PATH station at night; I've stayed at about all of the EWR area hotels, the Comfort Inn in Long Island City and the Comfort Inn on McCarter Ave. in Newark. You would be better off staying at the Doubletree, Candlewood Suites, Hyatt or Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City.

I would also avoid the Sheraton Meadowlands hotel as the shuttle to the train station operates on a schedule so when returning you may end up waiting at the train station for awhile.

I would also avoid the Sheraton Meadowlands hotel as the shuttle to the train station operates on a schedule so when returning you may end up waiting at the train station for awhile.

Yes, the shuttle has a schedule. However, if you call the front desk when you board the train in NYC, they will make arrangements to pick you up. I have never had a problem waiting for more than 15 minutes. YMMV

• 2 months later...

I know this is like almost 3 months old but I had to pop in to see what replies were actually posted!!!

For the very very very small few that tried it and are able to provide a positive response is amazing to me. I for one would not want to start my vac/cruise off in a ANYones Motor Lodge especially if they are not a large franchise.

I do hope that all have had a great cruise since the original post.

I used to have an office in Jersey City at Newport Towers/Mall. I only had to walk across the street to the Path train. I was told it was safer to stay in Manhattan, so I did. Our big, burly, construction workers wouldn't stay in our building past 4:00 in the afternoon. They were outta there!!!:eek:

I haven't been there in a while, and it looks like the area is somewhat improving. We looked at the Hyatt on the Hudson near Jersey City and almost stayed there last December, but decided we'd rather stay where the action is -- NYC. And yes, we paid a little more, but felt much safer.

Archived