Best excursion for snorkeling???

kbkids

We'll be in Cozumel from 8:00-6:00 and would like to spend some time snorkeling, maybe a small amount of shopping, and then relax on Pradise Beach. Can you give me a suggestion for a snorkeling excursion - we don't want to spend all day doing it - maybe just 1-2 reefs.

I recommend Eagle Ray Divers http://www.eagleraydivers.com/Snorkel.htm

We did the 2-reef snorkel tour with them last October. It was awesome. Then we went to Paradise Beach and enjoyed their beach and great chips and guacamole. We had time to do a little shopping at the pier before and after the adventure.

How much longer do you think the three reef tour would take? It's only $15 more, and it includes lunch, so I'm thinking it's a much better deal. We could skip the shopping I suppose - think we'd still have time for a little bit of time at Paradise Beach if we did the longer one?

How much longer do you think the three reef tour would take? It's only $15 more, and it includes lunch, so I'm thinking it's a much better deal. We could skip the shopping I suppose - think we'd still have time for a little bit of time at Paradise Beach if we did the longer one?

I booked the three reef trip for April 19th. Chellie told me it's normally 5 - 6 hours total with a 10AM report time at their dock. No worries about making the ship departure. They will be sure to get you back in time.

I've snorkeleds the two reef with them previously. The three reef goes either to Palancar or Columbia. Snorkeled Palancar with a ship's tour last year. The deeper reefs are far better than the near reefs. Not nearly the hurricane damage that the near shore reefs suffered, and a greater variety of marine life. Even saw some Eagle Rays.

I've used Eagleraydivers twice. The people are just great, guides really nice, etc. this time I hesitate to use them because both times we used them we had the same old boat that went really slow. I was worried the second time around because it wouldn't start right away. I don't want to be stuck out in the ocean somewhere and not be able to get back in time.

My wife and I went with four other families on a four and a half hour snorkel tour with Roswitha Flury and one other crew plus the captain. We dove a shallow area with small coral heads first to give everyone an introduction to snorkeling and the life around reefs, then we went to a slightly deeper site with larger coral heads and saw many fish as well as a large sea slug and a small ray. This was followed by a pit stop at a beach facility associated with a resort. We then dove the Palancar reef which had large coral heads and plentiful fish. Apparently a shark glided by but most of us didn't see it but we did see a turtle and rays and innumerable fish including barracuda, groupers, if I recall and alot of small fish.

Roswitha was true to her word and gave us all a set of dives that were a pleasure to experience. I enjoy diving down to see the reefs close up as I can hold my breath for quite a while. Roswitha took pictures and we are awaiting the arrival of the CD. Safety was paramount, as Roswitha stayed in front and her assistant stayed in the back of the group as we drifted across the coral heads. It was a wonderful tour and well organized and Roswitha stayed in touch with the ship via an RF communication system so everyone could bail at anytime if they got tired. Roswitha communicates with you via e-mail when setting up a time to go on a tour and she can be flexible. Roswitha also does scuba instruction and is a fully certified instructor.

When we were leaving the boat, I accidently dropped a credit card into the water and Roswitha jumped in and retrieved it for me. I really appreciated that and gave her a larger tip than I would have as she deserved it. I am sure if you wanted her to modify her diving sites she would do it, especially if you were willing to go by yourself with your family only but that is something you can communicate with her. She can be contacted by the website identified in an earlier post but here it is again: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelSnorkelingTour.htm and you can e-mail her directly at kuda1@hotmail.com but you will want to read the website first to get a feel for the snorkel tour. I highly recommend her tour and have snorkeled many spots in the Carribean, Atlantic and Pacific around the Hawaiin Islands.

Thanks, Dive4Fun. I have made so many glowing posts for Rosi and Mystic Snorkel that I'm sure people are beginning to think I'm on the payroll! So, sometimes, I just post the short version! I'm glad you gave such a detailed post. Rosi is absolutely terrific and the snorkel excursion is just the best!

Donna

Archived