Maui: Ship snorkel excursion vs. rent/drive to the beach

Marylander

We are sailing on Infinity in October (LA - Hawaii).

I am an advanced level snorkeler, can't wait to get "down'n'dirty" with Hawaiian reefs...

However, looking at ship's offered snorkel excursions, I do find them too expensive (ex.: Maui stop, Molokini 4 h trip = 95$ pp). So I was thinking to rent a car and drive down South to, say, Maalaea Bay (or even further) for beach snorkeling on my own...

Is it really worth attempting?

The ship stays at Lahaina (pax tendered), from 7 am 'til 6 pm.

Is it enough time to get onshore, rent-drive-park... spend 3-4 h snorkeling, return a car... Get back to the ship... ?

I would be very grateful for hints/suggestions of esteemed cruisers and locals!

You'll be renting a car from Kaanapali/Kapalua (5-10 minute shuttle ride from Lahaina) - usually the cruise lines will have rental car shuttles running from Lahaina. The drive from Lahaina to Kapalua/Honolua is about 15-20 minutes at most.

Spleen

The only time that the drive might be longer is if there's a traffic backup for whatever reason. It took us about 30 minutes from Honolua to Lahaina one day, but that's really not typical (in our experience). Honolua is wonderful.

I'm completely with Spleen on this. Go north and head straight to Honolua. Then go on over to the "southern" cove of the marine preserve (Slaughterhouse--but don't worry about the name), which has a little beach-like area (Honolua doesn't). Both are wonderful snorkels and October should be great for it. Do go in the morning; as I'm sure you're aware mornings are best. If you want to start heading back toward Lahaina and make a few stops for less-demanding snorkeling, you could stop at Kapalua (facing the water, right hand side of the bay is good); Airport (easy parking, easy access, good facilities, super easy entry, nothing spectacular but still fun); or Ka'anapali at Black Rock in front of the Sheraton (great beach, okay snorkeling, but better and more challenging around the end of the rock).

The car rentals at Kapalua (for the West Maui Airport) are right on your way back down, so it should be easy to drop the car and take a shuttle right back to Lahaina.

beachchick

One fun place for lunch - and right next to a great beach (Napili) is The Gazebo on the grounds of the Napili Shores resort. Very tasty food (open only for Breakfast and Lunch) and the view is awesome.

For a look at it, just google on the resort and look at the pictures. The small building that looks like a gazebo is The Gazebo. (makes sense!)

A great day would be heavy-duty snorkeling at Honolua/Slaughterhouse - IMO better than Molokini - followed by a try at Kapalua, then immediately next door at Napili, plus lunch.

BTW, one of the great but lesser known snorkeling spots on Maui is immediately south of the Napili Shores complex, on Honokeana Bay (more of a cove). You just walk around the grassy south side of Napili Shores. There is an easy entrance in the rocks - look for a bunch of towels next to it - and the snorkeling, especially a few feet down (hold breath and dive) is superb.

Have a great time.

Archived