Tipping Counselors at Kids' Clubs

Casachic

Here is another tipping question. How much did you tip the counselors at adventure ocean or other kids clubs?

It depends on how much time DD spends in the kids club. Typically, she spends a lot of time there! We figure the counselors can make or break her cruise and when they make it (which has been almost every time) we want to thank them! I've also used it as an opportunity to teach DD about tipping. She writes a note and puts the card and tip in an envelope and takes it to the counselors. We typically tip $100 for the week (I've been told this is generous, but to us it's appropriate considering how much time she spends there and how much fun she has).

Cheers!

Jayne

I had not tipped the counselors on my 1st 2 cruises, because there was no mention of it anywhere, and I assumed they were being paid as professionals (lots of promo about them all having degrees in education).

On my 3rd cruise, the cruise director made a pitch for tipping them, when he was emceeing the show on the final evening, and I was surprised, but I gave $5 in an envelope, thinking it was just a token tip.

Going forward, I don't think I will tip, since $5 is definitely too little, and they are professionals, so paid more highly than the service staff. I do tip at my kids' camps, but those counselors are all students (high school and maybe college), and not at all trained to do their jobs.

Just my opinion.....

No, you are not expected to tip the counselors. I do it when the moods strikes me. On some of my cruises- I have experienced really wonderful service from the kids club. In fact, the counselors on certain cruises engaged me in conversation and were really just a joy to be around.

One year on Galaxy my son and I picked out really pretty bracelets in St. Thomas and gave each of them their bracelets. They were something I would wear so I guessed they would like them. Of course they seemed pleased with them but I realized that jewelry is very personal and I thought it best just to give an envelope with money on the next cruise- the Millenium ($ 100) for a 14 day TA cruise. Marc was in the kids program round the clock- so it was the least I could do.

Then on Constellation I did the same thing. On Disney I didn't because the cruise price is expensive. I never got to know the kids staff on a three night cruise very well. And frankly Disney is a kids cruise line. So didn't feel so compelled.

On Radiance of the Seas in April I was turned off by one of the camp counselors from Portugal. Plus, I didn't like the bribery tactic (trinkets for each night you stay up until 1AM).

So it isn't expected or required- just something I sometimes do.

I tipped the counselors $100.00 for our last cruise. I have been told they all pool the tips that are made though. So if you love your counselor they may not get all the tip you leave for them. I am not sure how I feel about this.

Ye, the tips are pooled but frankly, all the counselors take turns with the kids. Some are with the older age group and so they have less interaction but it all evens out if everyone tips and they pool them.

Unless I have had a very impersonal cruise experience, I tip.

I spent a long time talking to an AO councelor on our Panama Canal cruise. He had the day off for the canal crossing and we stood together at the rail for about 6 hours. I tried to ask a bunch of questions but not seem TOO nosey. Yes they pool all the tips and the staff seems to like this set up. The director hands out the money the next day and it becomes their pocket/spending money for the next week. The guy I spoke to tries not to spend too much of his paycheck. He is trying to pay off his student loans quickly. He did say that the best thing any guest could do was to list any great staff SPECIFICALY on the review form. He said something about points they get for each time they are pointed out. He said great reviews is the quickest way to get an AO director job. He made it sound as if that was most of the staffs goal. All of the staff rotates through the ages groups. But sometimes certain people want to trade. He said all the groups have plus/and minus aspects to them so rotating keeps things fresh.

WOW. I love CC. This will be my first time using the camp, but I honestly had no intentions on tipping. I am not sure if I will tip $100, but I will leave a nice tip. I will also inculde a name that stands out on the review form. Thanks cc, I keep learning from you guys.

Like I said, its not that I did not want to tip, just had not thought about it.

I am not adverse to tipping either, only want to know what the right/expected thing to do since this is our first cruise. I assumed ALL the staff shared in the gratuities which we have pre-paid. Which brings up another question..what do I do with the tip envelopes when they are left in the cabin?

• 2 weeks later...
I assumed ALL the staff shared in the gratuities which we have pre-paid.

No, all staff doesn't share. Your prepaid gratuities go to your cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter, and buffet staff (I think I covered them all...). Since everyone doesn't use kids club's services, I'm sure there would be an uproar if everyone were auto tipped for them! Stampede to the purser's desk! LOL :D

Tipping the camp counselors is a personal decision--just tip as you feel comfortable.

Cheers!

Jayne

Message boards in general must attract BIG TIPPERS! I will never get over how well everyone here tips! Even tips and phone cards for those you are not expected to tip. Why, I'll bet some tip the Captain. It sorta seems like when movie stars offer up an hour or two of their time and encourage "others" to give till it hurts. I think when folks tell how big of a tip they leave, it encourages others to at least match their generosity. Tip what you feel is right don't go by others who feel they are tipping via thisd "public service announcement!"

Personally I have ALWAYS tipped the counsellors in the Kid's Clubs. The way I see it, if we are willing to tip the people who bring us food and clean our rooms, we should be prepared to tip the people who care for what we hold dearest in this world, our children!

On a Princess trip through the Panama Canal earlier this year, there were very few children on board, and I had lots of time to get to know the Kid's Staff quite well. I asked about the tipping issue, and they very reluctantly 'fessed up. Here is the story....

First, the Kid's Club staff are NOT included in the tipping pool which extends to food & beverage and accomodation staff. Yes they are professionals, with teaching degrees, but this does not mean better pay! The staff on my cruise actually said the waiters & room stewards earn more money than they do!

Those of us with children know how exhausting it can be just coping with our own, imagine having a large, brand new group of children come through your doors each week or each fortnight! The Kid's Club staff have one of the more difficult jobs on the ship, and in my experience they are always smiling and absolutely FANTASTIC with my kids, they always have an absolutely incredible time!

So my advice? TIP!! And yes, no offence to the writer of the earlier post, $5 is far too little...I usually tip a minimum of $100 for a week long cruise, a bit more if the counsellors have really made a special effort to get to know me & my kids.

Hope this helps!

Personally I have ALWAYS tipped the counsellors in the Kid's Clubs. The way I see it, if we are willing to tip the people who bring us food and clean our rooms, we should be prepared to tip the people who care for what we hold dearest in this world, our children!

On a Princess trip through the Panama Canal earlier this year, there were very few children on board, and I had lots of time to get to know the Kid's Staff quite well. I asked about the tipping issue, and they very reluctantly 'fessed up. Here is the story....

First, the Kid's Club staff are NOT included in the tipping pool which extends to food & beverage and accomodation staff. Yes they are professionals, with teaching degrees, but this does not mean better pay! The staff on my cruise actually said the waiters & room stewards earn more money than they do!

Those of us with children know how exhausting it can be just coping with our own, imagine having a large, brand new group of children come through your doors each week or each fortnight! The Kid's Club staff have one of the more difficult jobs on the ship, and in my experience they are always smiling and absolutely FANTASTIC with my kids, they always have an absolutely incredible time!

So my advice? TIP!! And yes, no offence to the writer of the earlier post, $5 is far too little...I usually tip a minimum of $100 for a week long cruise, a bit more if the counsellors have really made a special effort to get to know me & my kids.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

$100 per week per child? or do you mean a flat tip for "the kids"....in my case 3 - ages 11,9, and 6 - $100 total for the week.....

Just wondering....

$100 for my group of three kids, again if the service has been special (as is often the case!) I'll throw in an extra $20 or two...as far as I know the tips are pooled, so all of the counsellors who have worked with my family benefit!

Hope this helps!

Assuming a very good experience and with the knowledge that my kids only spend a couple hours a day max in camp, we've always tipped about $20/child/week. After four sailings, I've found that sometimes the counselors pool their tips but sometimes you must tip individually--it seems to vary by line, by ship, by season. So I suggest you ask first!

Hope this helps![/quote

I TOTALLY agree with you and I think you summed up my thoughts on tipping the best! The last cruise we took in March, we found that the tip policy was pretty clear- the camp counselors are not in the tip pool- I do nto know of any ship that they are in it.

In my expierence, they were young women that definatley were working very hard at making sure the famililes had a great time- they took very good care of the kids and deserved a tip.Yes, tipping is a personal choice- I choose to tip well and I feel that appropriate to do.

BTW- we tipped 200.00 for the week (2 kids) in cash, in an envelope and handed it to them the last day with a huge thank you!

Archived