Seadream v Silversea

uk1

SeaDream has better service, but far inferior cabins. SeaDream is casual onboard while Silversea has formal and informal nights as well as casual nights. I find the SeaDream ships very "iffy" in moderate seas. However, the intimacy on SeaDream is superb. I would personally never do a crossing on SeaDream, but the Med and/or the Caribbean; just tell me when we're going. ;-)

Thanks Richard,

Mrs UK1 and I aren't going to cruise outside of the Med or perhaps Northern Europe next year. I do want to see the Northenr Lights at least once before I pop off. We don't fancy crossing the atlantic for a cruise next year.

This year was our first cruise year and we've decided to go "overboard" (bad pun) next year and push the boat out (oh dear!), so I think we're concluding that one of the cruises might be with Silverdream to try it out. I think we will select on the basis of destinations. I didn't fancy the idea of joining at Nice, going to Monaco then back to Villefranche and then to Nice as one account seemed to be etc - as I spend a lot of time in those parts already and don't really call that "cruising". So if we see a sort of greek island dalmation coast type thing we might go for that - although I've already identified two Silversea cruises that I fancy already doing that. But on the basis that at the moment they are cocking-up my athens flights and being unhelpful - I may be a tart and change loyalties even more quickly than I thought!

I have a few questions you may be able (or others) to help with.

Reading one of the threads - a concern occured. A fairly smallish or even large family group can have a disproportionate effect on Seadream with a half to a third of the Silversea passenger load. 15 or so related people can feel that they own the boat and take it over - and I guess things can get noisy and potentially less quiet etc. Particualry a couple of related families with kids. I am prone to grumpiness. Is this a valid fear? I can see those wonderful sea-view beds - two families/couples on two adjacent ones of those could break the atmosphere a bit for everyone else?

Also - those beds! Is there a sort of German- around-the-pool-lounger type bunfight at 2:30am with those?

Is the food better on Seadream than Silversea?

Also I see they talk about captain flexibility etc and also there seems to be more visitng than cruising - is that a fair conclusion?

Ta.

uk0.9

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about Sea Dream, but you don't see big groups on Silversea. The major factor I think is the cost. Not everyone can afford the price of these ships, while Princess, etc., are much more accessble for most families. Second is the lack of children's program. I have seen a family group with three youngsters once. The children were well mannered and delightful, and for a good reason.

Thanks Simon - appreciated. I was particularly interested in my questions re Seadream re Silverssea because i was considering seadream as a specific alternative to the Silversea which we've experienced. Hopefully anyone who has experienced both might be able to give a view on my questions. Thanks.

Regarding groups that distroy the ambience of the ship...yes is can happen on Sea Dream. Mostly you will find the normal mix, but we have experienced the take over groups and it is quite noticeable on tours. It is a wonderful ship and the crew and the food can be challenged by no one. A greek Isles trip would be great..we have done that a few times and are ready to do it again. As to the ship in tough seas...we have done that as well. It bounces about for certain...but no more than the Silver Seas and Sea Bourne. We were on it once when an earthquake had been off shore. We had waves over the decks...but...the ship was stable and handled it well.

Archived