Silver Shadow Rooms

norcalman

We were on the Whisper 2 years ago and had suite 833 right across from the launderette and we did not hear any clutter. The suites are set more twards the outside of the ship thus not letting you hear much noise.Hope this helps. We will be sailing on wed the 5th on the whisper again. We cannot wait!!

I was on the Whisper last March and had room on 6 next to the laundromat. Loved the room. Didn't hear anything. Didn't feel privacy was compromised. Always able to "beat others" to the free laundry facilities. And, asked for the room again.

Hi,

I was just on the Whisper this 29 March thru April 8. My husband and I were in 723 and my mother-in-law was in your room 711. IT IS NOT NEXT TO A LAUNDRETTE. IT IS NEXT TO A SUPPLY ROOM AND STAIRCASE FOR THE STAFF. YOU WILL HEAR NOISE AND BANGING. AND EARLY IN THE MORNING, TOO. I can completely attest to this as I heard it sitting and having a drink with my mother-in-law. And that was at 6 in the evening. She said, "Honey, that's nothing you should hear it at 5 a.m."

I felt badly because the travel agent had assured me that this "storage closet" was rarely used and it would be a very quiet room. I tell you in all honesty--change your room now- to anywhere but next to those supply rooms. If you look on the deck plans you'll see laundry rooms are clearly marked as laundrettes. Those may be OK, I never went in a room by those. But, the big squares like the one next to 711 are for the crew and the supplies. It was the only thing Mom didn't like. And she mentioned it in bold letters on her comment form. Take my advice and move up a little or go up one or down one. The rooms are great. I saw them all and we were in a Silver Suite. My sister-in-law was in a Grand Suite and mom was in 711. You'll have a great cruise. Your Captain will be Michele Macarone-Palmieri and is a great guy. We've sailed Crystal and the like before but have now found our happy home on Silversea. I went on with very high expectations and they exceeded them. I know everything about the ship and food, etc. If you have any more questions just ask!! Have a great time, I know you will!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by melbcruise:

My sister-in-law was in a Grand Suite <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mind me asking which one?

I'm in one in a few weeks.

Hi,

She was in 801 and her mother was in 802. Her room was very nice with a wet bar, living room, dining area and full bedroom with windows looking out over the bow. If you have any questions about the ship just ask.

melb

Melbcruise, we're taking you up on your offer regarding ship information. On our posting about comparing the Silver Shadow with the Wind Surf and Radisson Diamond, "Graywolf" said we should aim for a vista suite on Deck 5, because it has a shared balcony. Do you know what he or she meant about shared balconies?

There are a group of Vista Suites on Deck 5 that have a balcony outside with no balcony partitions between the rooms and no furniture on the balcony. You can, though, walk out of your suite onto the balcony and enjoy the air and the view.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by melbcruise:

Hi,

She was in 801 and her mother was in 802. Her room was very nice with a wet bar, living room, dining area and full bedroom with windows looking out over the bow. If you have any questions about the ship just ask.

melb<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SNAP!

I'd appreciate as much info as you can about 801 ie what she liked and what we need to look out for! We're not taking 802 - is that a problem?

It is a lovely room. 801 and 802 are identical. They are across the hall from each other. You walk in and there is an alcove off of which there is a powder room. there is a living room with plasma tv on the wall, a huge wet bar, a dining room and then the bedroom with bath is forward and looking out over the bow. The veranda isn't as big (long) as in a silver suite because you are in the very front of the ship. You are directly below the bridge and officers rooms. She loved the room, but I will say, don't expect it to be as big as your thinking. We both said we can't figure how they came up with their number for the square footage. I'm sure it's accurate but the layout doesn't lend itself to what you might think. She looked at my silver suite and said that it seemed just as big as her suite. She had taken the silver suite on the Cloud a year before in the Med. and loved it. Our Silver on the Whisper was much larger than that and she said from now on Silver Suites are the way to go. However, saying that, she did comment that she really liked her room and was not disappointed in it. It does get a little more movement due to its forward location, so on the night we had some heavier seas she felt it. All the bigger suites get Appts. delivered at 5 p.m.. This gets a little too much if you're on a 10 dayer. Caviar, sushi, shrimp, etc. Oh, and don't forget they'll wash anything (laundry--NOT dry cleaning) for free. You don't have to pack all that much- your knickers, nightgown, etc. will be returned that same day all clean and nicely folded. You will love this ship. The food is fantastic. Try some of the dinners in the terrace cafe. You make a reservation with the head waiter (maybe Donato will still be on board-a great guy) The Paris-Nice was very good. Go to the Champagne room one night for dinner. The wines are high caliber and the prices can't be beat. You can get an Opus One for like $105. I can't buy it in the store for that!! Pick a menu you like. Just ask in the very beginning of the cruise, when they're open (early and not too busy or late) and they'll show you them for the week. Be warned more food than you expect shows up. The dessert came and I commented that that wasn't on the menu and he said "Madam this is your PRE-Dessert." Yikes!! That's a lot of food. See what I mean about these appetizers showing up at 5??

The service was fabulous, never had a problem and was never told NO. And if you're in one of the bigger suites I noticed this is even more true. My husband loved their steak tartar one day at lunch and asked me to see if he could have it as his dinner one night. I asked the executive chef at the galley brunch if he could do it and he said to just tell the head waiter. When I asked the head waiter that night (because he can't speak for himself!!) he didn't seem keen on the idea but asked for my suite number and it appeared no problem. Maybe I'm wrong but I got the impression it might have been too busy if I was in a different cabin. But honestly, you don't need to make special requests . Their menus are great and their french fries are the best!!

The entertainment and lectures are their weak link. Some of it's OK. But, this ship is a wine and diner. Luxurious rooms, great service and food and drink.Excursions are good. If you do alot during the day you're not going to want to hang out late anyway!! Where are you going??

Mel.B.

>>She had taken the silver suite on the Cloud a year before in the Med. and loved it. Our Silver on the Whisper was much larger than that and she said from now on Silver Suites are the way to go.<<

The Silver Suites really are the prettiest suites on the WHISPER, I think. People who want more space should consider an Owner's Suite, which--on the WHISPER OR SHADOW--has a very efficient and attractive layout plus a huge terrace.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Thanks for your very helpful response. Sounds like we're going to really enjoy it.

I think they take the square footage to include 803 with 801 - so you need to take off 801 ie 1286 minus 345 is 941- silver which is 700'ish will probably feel just as "airy"! I certainly liked the look of the Owners and silver - but we only booked a couple of weeks ago so we didn't have many options.

I appreciate your suggestion re the themed dinners. Our inclination is to miss the european ones and possible reserve the aisian. Living in the UK, we travel to Nice every month for a few days and to Paris less regularly to eat in some good places, and I'm not certain they'd be as attractive to us as they may be to our US friends. My main hobbies are cooking and eating in that order!

Is there a DVD player or is it just vhs vcr? It would save me taking my portable dvd with me!

Is the suite quiet and do you hear much from 803 or anywhere else? There appears to be some stairs and a cupboard next to the suite when looking at the plan?

Also some friends will be at one of the ports we visit and we'd like to invite them on for a few hours. Can this be done and do you have any idea as to what it might cost?

Thanks again for your all your feedback- very much appreciated.

I am having visitors on the Whisper in October. I'm told the charge for lunch aboard is $50 per guest, and dinner $75 per guest. I would assume that a visit, sans meal, would be free. You will need to provide information to Silversea in advance for security reasons - passport number, name, etc...

Melbcruise, thank you for the warnings on cabin 711. We talked with our travel agent, and she has moved us to 706. She is very concerned that Silversea kept saying there would be no noise, but didn't want us to risk it.

Archived