Formal Night on Sinfonia

jaguarprincess

With some trepidation, my husband and I are on the Sinfonia, round-trip Valencia, sailing on April 26th. Roll-call would indicate we're the only ones. We will have been traveling two weeks in Europe (different climates) for two weeks before we sail, so packing is an issue. Does anyone know, how formal is formal night? Any other comments about the ship?

Thanks,

Mary Sue

Hi jaguarprincess

I spent 3 weeks on the Sinfonia last October /november on it's voyage to S Africa. We had 5 formal evenings and I'd say that the majority made an effort to dress up. there were however not that many in full length gowns or tuxs. A lot of men wear wearing suits or at least dress trousers, shirt and tie. ladies mainly short dress or evening 2 piece (trousers or skirts). There were some only semi formal and a few who made absoultely no effort at all to adhere to the dress code.

there is no alterntive to the MDR on the Sinfonia in the evenings, other than a very limited room service menu that costs extra (soup, salads, sandwiches, fruit and a few desserts - more for snacks than as a replacement to dinner)

Happy to answer any specific questions you have about the ship or MSC. generally speaking like all MSC ships it is kept spotlessly clean and had very good shows in the evening as well as some fairly talented live musicians in the lounges. I thought the food and thermal area was better than other MSC ships I've been on but the decor not as attractive as their newer ships that they designed themselves. Still quite an attractive smallish (by today's standards) ship

You will not find many on your roll call as the majority of passengers will not speak English as their first language, sowill not frequent cc roll calls. That is very usual on European sailings for MSC cruises.

Just got back from Magnifica - we had 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise. Not many people wearing formal (tuxedo) on either night. I'd say maybe 75% of the passengers adhered to the dress code, but these were mostly jacket and tie or suit for the men, short dresses/trousers and tops for the ladies. I wore a long dress on the first night, second formal my husband wore a dark suit and tie and I wore a short dress. Rest of the nights were informal (but no jeans requested) however there were lots of people wearing jeans.

We had great weather in Greece, southern Turkey and Croatia. Less warm in Venice and Istanbul. Would suggest you pack light layers but by the time you travel the weather should have warmed up nicely. Have a good time.

Archived