Oct 30 2005 Athens to Port Said

anneSF

Anyone going with us? We are very interested in sharing ideas about shore excursions and places to stay before and after the cruise. We have never seen the pyramids and are looking forward to doing so after the cruise.

Anne

My wife and I will be on the October 30th cruise to Port Said. We have never been to Egypt, and so we too, want to see a pyramid while we are there. Our problem is that our flight home from Athens leaves on the 9th. We get off the ship on the 7th, so that doesn't give us much time. I plan to try to set up a private vehicle of some kind to pick us up at the port, take us to a pyramid, and then drop us off at a hotel in Cairo. If you are interested in that kind of a deal, we may have some synergy. We are arriving in Athens on the 28th, and I have a contact there who is setting up a hotel for us. As far as the other ports, we have been to Kusadasi on a previous Silversea cruise, and really enjoyed Ephesus, but the other ports are new to us. Ron

Ron, we too are leaving on the 9th, but think we will have enough time to see the "highlights" of Cairo. We usually do our own excusions, as we do not like large bus tours, but were thinking of taking an SS excusion to the pyramids on the 7th (disembarkation day) assuming one is offered b/c (1) that would take care of the transfer, and (2) the 3 hour drive from Port Said into Cairo is said to be long, dusty and potentially dangerous were one to break down en route. SS does it "convoy style." That said, we are open to joining your private tour -- tell me more. BTW, we are staying at the Four Seasons Cairo. I hear it is great & my company has a great rate there. We are staying at the Hilton in Athens - it was extensively remodeled for the 2004 Olympics and is also very nice.

Anne

Anne, I read your message to my wife and she agrees with you. Taking the SS transfer to Cairo probably makes sense. The pyramids are supposed to be only about 30 minutes from the hotel. I didn't see anything about a post-cruise tour from Port Said, but maybe they will offer one. Ron

I am fairly sure they will offer one. Their website does reference a 4 day post cruise that includes as day 1 the type of tour we are looking for. Let's hope that they offer it.

Anne

• 1 month later...
Anyone going with us? We are very interested in sharing ideas about shore excursions and places to stay before and after the cruise. We have never seen the pyramids and are looking forward to doing so after the cruise.

Anne

We are boarding your ship as you leave in Port Said. We do spend alot of time in Egypt and can suggest a few places to stay. If you want ultimate Luxury try the New Four Seasons in Cairo. However since we spend up to three weeks at a time there we usually stay at the Marriott Cairo. It is a wonderful hotel that where the main building was originally a palace and two towers were built for the hotel rooms. Prices in Cairo are relatively cheap for great five star service. The Marriott is the only large hotel in central Cairo that has a wonderful garden with a resort like setting. You can take day trips to the Pyrmids from these hotels. I would suggest staying in Cairo as opposed to Giza because it is more convenient.

We hope you enjoy. :)

Ron, we too are leaving on the 9th, but think we will have enough time to see the "highlights" of Cairo. We usually do our own excusions, as we do not like large bus tours, but were thinking of taking an SS excusion to the pyramids on the 7th (disembarkation day) assuming one is offered b/c (1) that would take care of the transfer, and (2) the 3 hour drive from Port Said into Cairo is said to be long, dusty and potentially dangerous were one to break down en route. SS does it "convoy style." That said, we are open to joining your private tour -- tell me more. BTW, we are staying at the Four Seasons Cairo. I hear it is great & my company has a great rate there. We are staying at the Hilton in Athens - it was extensively remodeled for the 2004 Olympics and is also very nice.

Anne

One other suggestion is private hire car and drivers are available at all luxury hotels in Cairo. The prices for having these drivers with you to see the pyrmids and markets (don't miss the market) is well worth doing rather than a group tour.

Archived