Transportation from Colon to Panama CIty

kathy16

We are disembarking our Windstar cruise on January 19, 2013 and thinking about staying 2 nights in Panama City before flying home to USA. Would the Intercontinental be a good choice? What is the best way to get from the port to hotel and then from hotel to airport -Panama City? What would be the usual cost?

Thanks,

Kathy

We are disembarking our Windstar cruise on January 19, 2013 and thinking about staying 2 nights in Panama City before flying home to USA. Would the Intercontinental be a good choice? What is the best way to get from the port to hotel and then from hotel to airport -Panama City? What would be the usual cost?

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi Kathy: I'm working on this same issue. DH and me will be disembarking from RCI on Sunday after TDay. I have read about a train that goes from Colon~Panama City, but it does not run on Sundays. Therefore the flow of suggestions is to catch a taxi and possibly share expenses with a fellow CC member via the Mix&Mingle board. I have read a taxi is about 1 hr OW and costs around $40 for the entire cab and not per person (I think). Hope someone will be more definative for U. Have a nice day.

Hi Kathy - as BigToe said, the train runs every day but Sunday if you want the scenic look at the canal. A cab is closer to $50 I have heard from others here. Or you can take a city/locks minibus which will run from $70 to over $100 p/p and drop you at your hotel in the late afternoon. Intercontinental Miramar seems well situated. I am staying at Le Meridien in that same area. I think the best way to the airport is a cab from your hotel.

The concierge at my hotel is arranging a private car pick up for me at the dock and it costs $86. I imagine a taxi will be a bit cheaper, but I'm going to take a city tour with the person, too and just think this is easier.

I hear that taxi's do not expect tips - not sure if that is true or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kathy: I'm working on this same issue. DH and me will be disembarking from RCI on Sunday after TDay. I have read about a train that goes from Colon~Panama City' date=' but it does not run on Sundays. Therefore the flow of suggestions is to catch a taxi and possibly share expenses with a fellow CC member via the Mix&Mingle board. I have read a taxi is about 1 hr OW and costs around $40 for the entire cab and not per person (I think). Hope someone will be more definative for U. Have a nice day.[/quote']

I too am on the Tday cruise and looking for transportation. If I can get a good place to rent a car I may do this as I would like to spend a week in Panama. I know that you can use RCL for your transfer to the airport but I would prefer another means of transportation. Maybe you would be interested in a group rate on a taxi?

Susan

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of booking transportation from the ship dock in Colon to Panama City Intercontinental Playa Bonita resort hotel and including sightseeing along the way, since hotel check in is in the afternoon. Any recommendations and an idea of prices?

Thanks,

Kathy

Archived