Champagne, anyone?

MaryL31

I know someone will be able to answer this question. I will be sailing Concierge Class, and though I love champagne, DH does not (he had a little too much on our honeymoon 16 yrs ago, and hasn't touched it since...LOL)!

I'm looking forward to enjoying this special treat, since I don't have it often. I'm not expecting DH to drink any...if it's kept cold, will the steward

be able to supply the special "stopper" required, and if so, how long does it

last? I'm not expecting to get more than a day or 2 out of it, but could I get at least that? Should I pick up a "stopper" myself? Maybe I would buy it and drink it more often at home if I thought I could make a bottle last a couple of days...Thanks for any help!

I've gotten up to a week with the wine vaccuum. It's about $10. Granted it's very rare that champagne in my house isn't consumed when it's opened :p but you should be fine. Some lines do serve good champagne by the glass if that helps.

May be different for you, but in my experience, champagne once opened is no good the next day. Stoppers won't keep the fizz in.:o

That's not our experience and we consume a lot of champagne, well, two to three bottles a week. You can buy a stopper at your local supermarket. It's chrome and has two "wings" on it that lock on the ridge around the top of the bottle. Costs about $5.99. It will keep your champagne for several days. We always close off the bottle after serving to help save the wine and put it back in the refrigerator or on ice. We just got back from a week vacation and we had a half full/empty bottle in the fridge and it was as good as new.

To answer your question, take your own stopper.

Champagne doesn't fizz, it effervesces. :D Unless of course it's from California, but then it's not champagne.

I agree with jbond "You can buy a stopper at your local supermarket. It's chrome and has two "wings" on it that lock on the ridge around the top of the bottle. Costs about $5.99." I also drink champagne regularly and that stopper works very well.

I have tried this, and strange though it may seem, it really works. If you put a metal teaspoon in the hole, it seems to stop it going flat - honest, I'm serious. I don't know how it works, but I was really sceptical. I know it seems strange that the top isn't sealed or anything! Used it for good bubbly and for cheap sparkling wine!!

Archived