Looking for ideas for 2nd day in Havana

megbowlstrike

Hi! We are booked on the RCCL Empress of the Seas for late August. Our cruise has an overnight in Havana, so basically two fulls days there. The first day, we are doing a 6 hour tour in a classic car of the main sights through I Love Cuba Photo Tours. However, I'm trying to figure out what we should do the second day in Havana.

My feeling is that we will see most of the main sights on the first day. What is something different that we can do the second day? If you've taken the I Love Cuba Photo Tours, was there anything that you didn't get to see? For the second day, should we just wander around and shop at the big flea market and have lunch? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

We just did two days with I Love Cuba and it was great. You definitely can't see everything of interest in one day. You may see major tourist sites one day, but there are a ton of neighborhoods, markets, windows into local life, and even areas immediately outside of Havana that may be of interest. With two days of touring with I Love Cuba we got to see quite a bit, though I'm still sure not everything :-) May be worth it to add on a day with them to make sure you see everything you can. If you've already been communicating with them, you probably already know how flexible they are in designing custom tours for you! Also- the market by the port is HUGE! You could easily spend a half day in there if you like to shop!

Edited by imagine17
Forgot to mention the market

We just did two days with I Love Cuba and it was great. You definitely can't see everything of interest in one day. You may see major tourist sites one day, but there are a ton of neighborhoods, markets, windows into local life, and even areas immediately outside of Havana that may be of interest. With two days of touring with I Love Cuba we got to see quite a bit, though I'm still sure not everything :-) May be worth it to add on a day with them to make sure you see everything you can. If you've already been communicating with them, you probably already know how flexible they are in designing custom tours for you! Also- the market by the port is HUGE! You could easily spend a half day in there if you like to shop!

That is a great idea! I didn't think about booking them for a second day as I figured we'd see pretty much everything the first day. That is good to know--thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi! We are booked on the RCCL Empress of the Seas for late August. Our cruise has an overnight in Havana, so basically two fulls days there. The first day, we are doing a 6 hour tour in a classic car of the main sights through I Love Cuba Photo Tours. However, I'm trying to figure out what we should do the second day in Havana.

My feeling is that we will see most of the main sights on the first day. What is something different that we can do the second day? If you've taken the I Love Cuba Photo Tours, was there anything that you didn't get to see? For the second day, should we just wander around and shop at the big flea market and have lunch? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

We are on the Empress 8/27/18, overnights in Havana. The Royal agent told me that if you are in Cuba 2days, you have to do an official tour BOTH days. Can anyone verify? We wanted to do the classic car tour the first day and go to the market on our own on day 2. According to the agent, you cannot just walk off the boat and explore on your own if you don’t have a formal tour planned each day.

We are on the Empress 8/27/18, overnights in Havana. The Royal agent told me that if you are in Cuba 2days, you have to do an official tour BOTH days. Can anyone verify? We wanted to do the classic car tour the first day and go to the market on our own on day 2. According to the agent, you cannot just walk off the boat and explore on your own if you don’t have a formal tour planned each day.

If you read the posts in this forum, you will discover that the agent is either misinformed or just plain lying to you. You can simply walk off the ship and wander around both days if you desire. No formal tours are required.

• 2 weeks later...

RCCL tells everyone that. It is a lie. You can walk around on your own or book a private tour. I am booked with Havana Memories 115 cuc for two people. Half walking tour and the other half is riding in an old car to see the sights. 9-4. Havana Memories is easy to get in touch with and quick to answer my many emails/questions. The market that is close to the port caught on fire and is closed now but hopefully will open before we leave in July. I will post a trip report.