Has anyone sailed in a suite transatlantic Opera?

sea-shell2

Has anyone done the Genoa - FLL in a suite on the Opera? Is the pitch and roll quite bad?? Also, generally any tips re dining? Is the service so slow you would recommend smaller tables etc? We are travelling Xmas/New Year with our two teenage sons, all looking forward to it tremendously. (They have their own inside cabin!)

I found Opera to be really smooth sailing, even in rough weather at the very rear of the ship. I wasn't up on deck so can't reassure you but I'd be surprised if you felt much pitch or roll. Also I don't have any other ship to compare it with, but i heard nobody complaining in waves at, supposedly, 30ft.

If I am lucky with the upgrades I may find out what it's like to be on a higher deck on a transatlantic crossing as I'm sailing to Rio from Genoa on Armonia in November. A suite is probably far too much to hope for me though!

Dining is a leisurely affair, in the Med at least, taking the full two hours. I did not feel rushed at all and enjoyed the time to savour the many courses offered (we usually ordered 4 but 7 were offered!). The waiter was a little pushed, probably having a table too many to look after to be comfortable, but only occasionally did we look for him and he wasn't there. He seemed to always be on hand to top up the iced water (not bottled - free, from a pitcher - just ask) whenever anyone got close to the bottom of a glass.

Try the ice-cream and sorbet. It is made on board and is fantastic. I asked for a small scoop with my dessert on the first night and thereafter it was served to everyone each night, helping the sweets (which were a little dissapointing otherwise) to slip down nicely.

Very reassuring - thanks! I can't wait for our cruise, and am not expecting Celebrity style or similar, the only thing that worried me was the movement, I know the suites on the Opera are right at the front and are about the same size as balcony cabins on P&O, they are not v. big.

Hope you get upgraded on your trip -

Seashell

• 4 weeks later...

Archived