Would We Be Happy With MSC LIRICA ?

dlhamlten

Have never sailed on this line, but an upcoming Transatlantic on the Lirica has an interesting Itinerary. We have been on many other cruiselines and more recently Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean.

Just wonder if any of you MSC experienced cruisers can provide any comparisons, pros/cons etc of this line. Food and cabin size & amenities are important to us and we usually book our own shore excursions independently.

Anybody care to share opinions ? Thanks

Hi There,

My husband and I are booked on the Lirica to leave on 01/09/07 to Central America for 11 days. I was just on the Princess cruise to Turkey and Egypt and was told by a couple that the worst cruise that they had ever taken waws on the MSC Lirica.

Their complaints were that all rules were there to be broken by the line, that there was no entertainment, and the smoke filled every area of the ship even thought the rules were that smoking was only permitted in certain areas.

My husband and I are very concerned about the smoking. Do you know anything about this ship?

Yours very truly,

Tasha 1

legaleye2@cox.net

Well I have never had a bad cruise, but the worst was on Celebrity Century. I don't expect you to take note and not sail Century purely on my comments alone [she was disgustingly filthy], so I wouldn't not sail Lirica purely on the say so of a couple met on Princess either. Lirica is a spotless vessel as are all MSC ships [this is more mportant to me than most other aspects]. If they didn't find any entertainment, I wonder if they were on the ship, as there is plenty. Perhaps just not the same as that on Princess, or perhaps just not the things they enjoy as individals.

As to smoking, it was not a problem on my Lirica cruise. On any ship, that will be down to your fellow passengers. My worst cruise for that problem was on HAL's Westerdam, but you will find hundreds who would disagree on that as they wouldn't have had the same passengers aboard on their cruise. Staff on MSC do tell passengers to move away if they light up where they shouldn't; I have seen it.. I have also seen the same on other lines and pax telling the staff 'where to go'... just hope for a decent bunch of fellow passengers.

dlhamlten, Lirica's cabins are small, but well laid out. Amenities are the same as you would get anywhere.. but only robes in the suites, which are really just large cabins, not what one would call a suite. There are plenty of photos about the web. Food is always subjective.. if you enjoy trying different dishes and don't just expect the typical US based mass market line food, or what you have at home, then you will be fine. If you want Prime Rib, Rack of Lamb, NE Lobster & Cherries Jubilee every night you may struggle. The menus are online somewhere.

If you like the itinerary go for it.

I realize I asked questions that could be very subjective in response, but I am starting from ground zero in the evaluation of MSC lines. For instance, we have taken two NCL cruises and they are likely to be our last with them - just a combination of relatively negative experiences with cleanliness, service, and food. Others may love them !

I have read a number of the Cruise Critic Reviews about the Lirica and like most, they are mixed. I have read Menus and they are uninspiring, but I think they are dated and the cruise we are considering is in their Food & Wine Series in case that matters.

I had not run across any negatives about smoking, but that is a concern for us since smoke can ruin a stroll on the Deck or a walk to dinner. We are spoiled by Balconies and if the price is compelling, we may have to try a Veranda Suite just for the extra space. Of course, we have had balconies on other lines and if your neighbors smoke it can cut short their advantage. So much is luck...........

I wonder what the nationality mix might be on a Transatlantic that starts in Russia, goes thru England, France and ends up in Florida ?

Any other comments will be appreciated.

I would expect on a food and wine series cruise things may be quite different in that repect. I have not read the 'blurb' on the cruise but wonder whether it is aimed at Northern or Southern Europeans or N Americans?

The cruise I expect may be full of all sorts of Nationalities doing that itin.., sounds a good one.. Australians and New Zealanders too, beside N Americans and Europeans. Food & Wine to suit all could be 'interesting'!

Archived