Glacier walk/trek in Juneau or Skagway?

quinn21

Hi there

I'm cruising via Princess Cruises and we'll be docked at Juneau and Skagway in mid-May 2018, and I can't decide between the glacier walk/trek as a shore excursion in either stop.

In Juneau, the Helicopter Glacier Walk (1 hour walk) is US$450 and the price goes up for a longer trek time of course -- "your pilot will set down on one of the 36 spectacular glaciers". In Skagway, the Glacier Discovery by Helicopter (with 40-min walk) is US$350 -- "Flight routes and landing zones are selected daily to ensure you enjoy the best the area has to offer".

Does anyone have any advice on the key difference btwn the 2 excursions, e.g. is one significantly more beautiful than the other (if that's possible), etc? For at least US$100 more, just wanted to know if the Juneau experience is supposed to be "better" in any way, and if not, it may just make more sense for me to save the money instead. Would a 40-min exploration of the glacier be sufficient?

Would appreciate any advice or insight from the community. Thanks so much!

We did this in Juneau through NorthStar trekking. It was a fantastic excursion! Well worth every penny and I would do it again. Great company with pier pickup and drop off. Highly recommend this excursion and booking independently through this company