DIY Snorkeling

terri-eddie

Someone on these boards mentioned renting snorkel equipment on Grand Turk and going out by a small pier near Jacks Shack. Does anyone have more information on this? Where would we rent the snorkel equipment? Is there a surf shop near the cruise port? How expensive is the rental?

Someone on these boards mentioned renting snorkel equipment on Grand Turk and going out by a small pier near Jacks Shack. Does anyone have more information on this? Where would we rent the snorkel equipment? Is there a surf shop near the cruise port? How expensive is the rental?

There is a snorkel rental shack on or near the beach in the vicinity of Margaritaville. I usually bring my own snorkeling gear, but I spoke to a kid who had rented from there and he said it was $10...which almost strikes me as too good of a price.

The beach extends from Margaritaville north to Jack's Shack, and then the "small pier" they're probably referring to is just north of there.

I have to agree with them; the best snorkeling I found there was out along the safety line (deeper water) toward the Jack's Shack end. There are also two sunken anchors and a sunken cannon along the safety line in about 15 ft. of water. There's an area where we free-dove that was dredged to about 35, maybe 40 feet deep that is technically inside the safety line. Don't go past the line (in any obvious way) or a guy will come along on a Sea-doo and tell you to clear out. :)