Great time on the Dawn!

Obi1

My hubby and I just returned from the November 28th 5-day Western Caribbean on the Dawn. What a great time we had!! :)

We originally booked a BC balcony that put us in a BA with NCL's promo at the time. About a week before the sailing, I called my PCC and we upgraded to a Mini-suite guarantee. We were not assigned a room until 3 days prior to leaving (which was no big deal, just an FYI).

Saturday morning we flew from Milwaukee (where it was 20 degrees) to Fort Lauderdale (where it was 82 degrees) to spend the night at the Crowne Plaza.

We used SAS for transportation between Fort Lauderdale and Miami and vice-versa. They were reliable, fast and efficient. We would recommend them without hesitation and plan on using their services again in the future. Upon arrival to the port of Miami, we were dropped off with other passengers for the Dawn, as well as passengers for the Pearl. We were dropped at the Pearl, which made getting rid of our luggage somewhat confusing, as all of the porters were for the Pearl. We actually ended up bringing all of our luggage on board with us right away. Which wasn't so bad, as then we didn't have to wait for it to be delivered. ;)

At time of check-in, we were told we had been "down-graded" from a room on deck 11 to a room on deck 9. I didn't think that was possible, as we were "guaranteed" at least a mini-suite. Well, the agent insisted it was a "down-grade" and then disappeared for a moment. She came back and apologized, stating that we actually had VIP status and that we were in the wrong area to check-in. She then took us over to the VIP area where our whole cruising lives have changed forever!

Turns out we were "up-graded" to a Forward facing AC Penthouse, #9500. Wow - what a room! Huge balcony! We were allowed all of the VIP amenities for the entire cruise, including the butler, Totaram, and the concierge, Belkys. Both of them catered to our every need and are great representatives of NCL. Our room attendant was also great, only I can't remember his name. :o We had great service from the servers in Cagneys, including Karen Caysido and a man from Jamaica, whose name I think was Oliver (?). We also met a wonderful bar server in Pearly Kings Pub named Riza. We had about a two hour conversation with her, bought the Rebellious Fish drink in the fish bowl glass, and then proceeded to down many BahamaMamas after that. :p

We did find that it seems the food has somewhat decreased in quality/quantity since our Alaskan cruise on the Pearl in 2007. Nothing that was bad or unedible, just not quite as good as it was then. Of course, all of our food in Cagneys was excellent, but that is a smaller venue. The food in Blue Lagoon definitely was not as good. Again, not bad, just not quite the same. The fish and chips used to have several pieces of fish, now it is just one bigger piece and you only get two chicken tenders in an order. The fries are thin, McDonalds type fries and tasted kind of funny as opposed to the thicker fries in Cagneys (YUMMY).

The unlimited soda program - not worth it in our opinion, especially if you are big soda drinkers. It is fountain soda only and we found it had on off-taste in Blue Lagoon, while the soda from the Java Cafe was excellent. In fact, our butler recommended to purchase the soda program there, because it was the best - he was right! In the future, we will just purchase a can at a time, or bring our own.

We truly had a great time and would sail on the Dawn again. EVERYONE we met was kind and courteous. We bought a Cruise Reward and can't wait to go on our next cruise!!! :cool:

Glad you had a great time, will be boarding the Dawn, Sunday, 12/12/10,

can't wait. Have a mini-suite, would not mind being upgraded

to one of those Penthouse Suites..

Did you have to pay for the upgrade???

Or did you just get lucky???

If not, would you pay for it on your next cruise???

Glad you had a great time, will be boarding the Dawn, Sunday, 12/12/10,

can't wait. Have a mini-suite, would not mind being upgraded

to one of those Penthouse Suites..

Did you have to pay for the upgrade???

Or did you just get lucky???

If not, would you pay for it on your next cruise???

I am sure you will have a great time! We would have had a good time regardless of the upgrade, but it sure changed how we look at cruising!

No, we did not pay for the upgrade - we just got super, super lucky - which usually doesn't happen to me!!

Now, we can't imaging cruising any other way. You don't have to fight with the crowds in the buffet for breakfast and lunch because you get much more personalized service in Cagneys. Priority boarding, priority tendering, first to see and sample the chocolate buffet (while everyone else is staring at you through the locked doors). Invitation to the cocktial party and a picture with the Captain. The list goes on and on.

We are not "fancy" people in any way. Just your average couple, so it was hard to adjust to having somebody there thats wants to do the stuff for you. When you are so used to just doing it yourself, the suite life seems like an entirely different world.

Good luck - I hope you get the upgrade, too! Will we pay for it in the future? Yes, but not every time, as we would not be able to cruise as often (not that we cruise that often), but we did miss looking over the side at the water from a balcony like we have on all of our past cruising adventures. :)

Hi Obi1

We so enjoyed your review of the Dawn. We sailed the Dawn last Feb and like you, had a wonderful time. About 5 years ago on a family vacation on the Jewel, my mother-in-law,sister-in-law and her then 6 yr old daughter were mysteriously upgraded to a penthouse from their crowded balcony cabin. This actually happened on the second day of the cruise. We were never given any explanation as to why, but needless to say the whole family was thrilled for their good fortune.

On the Dawn last Feb. we also met Reza and what a wonderful person she is. She truly is a great ambassador for NCL and their crews. We also met a wonderful bar server named Rommel. What a character he was. He could truly sell a refridgerators to Eskimos. He was about to go back home on his vacation and wasn't sure if he would return to the Dawn or on to the Epic. Was there any sign of Rommel on your cruise?......Anybody else out there.....Where's Rommel??

Glad you had a good time. We will be sailing the Pearl at the end of Jan.

Dan

My hubby and I just returned from the November 28th 5-day Western Caribbean on the Dawn. What a great time we had!! :)

We originally booked a BC balcony that put us in a BA with NCL's promo at the time. About a week before the sailing, I called my PCC and we upgraded to a Mini-suite guarantee. We were not assigned a room until 3 days prior to leaving (which was no big deal, just an FYI).

Saturday morning we flew from Milwaukee (where it was 20 degrees) to Fort Lauderdale (where it was 82 degrees) to spend the night at the Crowne Plaza.

We used SAS for transportation between Fort Lauderdale and Miami and vice-versa. They were reliable, fast and efficient. We would recommend them without hesitation and plan on using their services again in the future. Upon arrival to the port of Miami, we were dropped off with other passengers for the Dawn, as well as passengers for the Pearl. We were dropped at the Pearl, which made getting rid of our luggage somewhat confusing, as all of the porters were for the Pearl. We actually ended up bringing all of our luggage on board with us right away. Which wasn't so bad, as then we didn't have to wait for it to be delivered. ;)

At time of check-in, we were told we had been "down-graded" from a room on deck 11 to a room on deck 9. I didn't think that was possible, as we were "guaranteed" at least a mini-suite. Well, the agent insisted it was a "down-grade" and then disappeared for a moment. She came back and apologized, stating that we actually had VIP status and that we were in the wrong area to check-in. She then took us over to the VIP area where our whole cruising lives have changed forever!

Turns out we were "up-graded" to a Forward facing AC Penthouse, #9500. Wow - what a room! Huge balcony! We were allowed all of the VIP amenities for the entire cruise, including the butler, Totaram, and the concierge, Belkys. Both of them catered to our every need and are great representatives of NCL. Our room attendant was also great, only I can't remember his name. :o We had great service from the servers in Cagneys, including Karen Caysido and a man from Jamaica, whose name I think was Oliver (?). We also met a wonderful bar server in Pearly Kings Pub named Riza. We had about a two hour conversation with her, bought the Rebellious Fish drink in the fish bowl glass, and then proceeded to down many BahamaMamas after that. :p

We did find that it seems the food has somewhat decreased in quality/quantity since our Alaskan cruise on the Pearl in 2007. Nothing that was bad or unedible, just not quite as good as it was then. Of course, all of our food in Cagneys was excellent, but that is a smaller venue. The food in Blue Lagoon definitely was not as good. Again, not bad, just not quite the same. The fish and chips used to have several pieces of fish, now it is just one bigger piece and you only get two chicken tenders in an order. The fries are thin, McDonalds type fries and tasted kind of funny as opposed to the thicker fries in Cagneys (YUMMY).

The unlimited soda program - not worth it in our opinion, especially if you are big soda drinkers. It is fountain soda only and we found it had on off-taste in Blue Lagoon, while the soda from the Java Cafe was excellent. In fact, our butler recommended to purchase the soda program there, because it was the best - he was right! In the future, we will just purchase a can at a time, or bring our own.

We truly had a great time and would sail on the Dawn again. EVERYONE we met was kind and courteous. We bought a Cruise Reward and can't wait to go on our next cruise!!! :cool:

Riza is great! I still keep in close contact with her. What a nice person.

Nick

Doing the 5 day Western Caribbean cruise in Feb. Have an AD booked and hoping for the 'upsell fairy' to call. Glad you were happy with the suite perks. Can't wait to enjoy them. Thanks for all the info....

I know I won't be that lucky to get such a great upgrade, but it's nice to hear that it actually does happen.

That is how I always thought too, until the cruise on the Dawn! All I can say is, you never know...keep your fingers crossed!

Hi Obi1

We so enjoyed your review of the Dawn. We sailed the Dawn last Feb and like you, had a wonderful time. About 5 years ago on a family vacation on the Jewel, my mother-in-law,sister-in-law and her then 6 yr old daughter were mysteriously upgraded to a penthouse from their crowded balcony cabin. This actually happened on the second day of the cruise. We were never given any explanation as to why, but needless to say the whole family was thrilled for their good fortune.

On the Dawn last Feb. we also met Reza and what a wonderful person she is. She truly is a great ambassador for NCL and their crews. We also met a wonderful bar server named Rommel. What a character he was. He could truly sell a refridgerators to Eskimos. He was about to go back home on his vacation and wasn't sure if he would return to the Dawn or on to the Epic. Was there any sign of Rommel on your cruise?......Anybody else out there.....Where's Rommel??

Glad you had a good time. We will be sailing the Pearl at the end of Jan.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Glad you had a great time, too! It is truly incredible to experience it when you haven't before. We are in no way fancy people, and are used to having a balcony cabin. For this cruise, because the price was so good, we decided to "splurge" on a mini-suite. So, the upgrade to the Penthouse and getting a taste of the suite life was pretty good. Now I don't know what will happen when we have to go back to "just" a balcony, lol! (Although we did miss being able to look down at the water from the balcony).

I wish I would have exchanged some contact info with Riza. She was so nice and sounds like she has 2 daughters that she is very proud of. I don't remember any Rommel, but that doesn't mean he wasn't there. :o

Enjoy the Pearl! We have sailed on her twice and are quite fond of her.

Doing the 5 day Western Caribbean cruise in Feb. Have an AD booked and hoping for the 'upsell fairy' to call. Glad you were happy with the suite perks. Can't wait to enjoy them. Thanks for all the info....

Good luck and hope the "upsell fairy" finds your number! I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the perks!

Just let me know if you want any more info...I would be happy to help! :)

Riza is great! I still keep in close contact with her. What a nice person.

Nick

She was great! I wish I would have asked her for an email or something. Next time you get in contact with her, tell her Charidy & Eric say hi! (Hopefully she will remember us). :)

Archived