Silver Cloud - laundry services

north-bound

I am looking forward to my first cruise on SS, Silver Cloud from Singapore on March 15. I will leave home a week from now, and will be travelling for almost one month.

Obviously during this time I will need laundry service now and then. So I would be grateful if someone can tell me what will be offered during the cruise.

First of all Northbound, I want to thank you for your valuable contributions on the Baltic board. I printed out many of your answers to various members' questions and took the print-outs with me last August on our cruise. I'm so glad that I can now reciprocate in a small way.

We were on the Silver Whisper in January, and the laundry service was wonderful. We asked our stewardess for two bags, separated the laundry and the dry cleaning, and left the bags in our room. The laundry/dry cleaning was returned either the same day or the next day, and the quality was excellent.

Northbound,

We had the same experience on the Shadow-- 24-hour turnaround, and nicely done.

My husband even used the self-service laundry one night (that was a "first", and I'm told it was also a "last"!!!), which he said was quite easy. I refuse to do laundry on vacation, so I (happily) cannot speak from personal experience. :-)

Denyse

In some of the pricier suites the charge is included - all others it's charged for. I got the impression in the pricier suites that they prioritised cleaning and stuff left out in the morning was completed by lunch time. In any event it seems to be "same day"

Jeff

Our only suggestion to Silversea was in regards to the "self-service" laundry set-up. It was not good.

On our recent Cloud cruise, it was virtually impossible to do any laundry ourselves. They have one tiny cramped room with one ironing board. It seemed like 20 people at a time would try and cram themselves into the room to use this or that machine! One iron for a shipload of people just doesn't work.

Maybe not doing laundry on the cruise was good!

John

Three tips about laundry and ironing:

1) If you don't want to wait for a washing machine, try doing your laundry when other passengers are ashore.

2) Don't wait until three hours before "formal night" to use the ironing board.

3) Don't swoon and think that you have a secret admirer if you find a gift-wrapped package on your coffee table; it's only your freshly laundered boxer shorts. :-)

If you leave your laundry/dry cleaning for pick-up in the morning, you'll get it back the same day. If you give it to your stewardess in the evening, as we did, you will receive it the following day.

Denyse

Just a sidenote. I just got back from a RSSC 12 day trip and I used their self-service THREE times LOL. Almost all my clothes are clean. A new first for me. But maybe I am strange but I get up early, and at 5:30am there is nobody in the self-service laundry :) But I did fall in love with their stacked Maytag Neptunes machines.... OK I am easy......

I am looking into taking a SS cruise. I meet a lot of people on the Mariner that also cruised on SS and they all liked it better than Radisson.

Thank you for all the good answers. Now I know that I don’t have to think about laundry while on my pre-cruise travel in Malaysia and Singapore. I can arrive on the ship with my dirty clothes and it will be taken care of.

I usually leave it rather than use the self-service since I value my time on a cruise so much. And it will be interesting to see how I like this cruise line which is new to me. My favourite so far has been Celebrity.

Zimmy, thank you for the kind words. When I can, I try to answer questions on the Baltic Ports board about Stockholm, and about the Baltic area. To hear that you found my answers useful makes me very happy. I do hope you had a good time in my country.

Jgibbs, there is a long way to go before I reach 100. Just about to collect my 14 :) .

Archived