this board

meow!

Please take a look at the Oceania column on this cruise critic board. The president of Oceania claims to read every posting, and occasionally directly communicates on this board. While we do not expect Silversea to do the same (they might, we won't know), I still think that some responsible official of Silversea should monitor postings on this board. Listening to public (albeit, and sometimes especially anonymous) opinion should be very helpful to cruise lines, particularly the boutique (and semi-boutique such as Oceania) lines!

I recently lunched with a Silversea "official." I had printed out some complaints from a board member from several months ago. He had read them and told me that several head office people visit this board.

Now that there are only 35 days to go to my first Silversea cruise, time goes so slowly !! I intend to post on my return. The most important aspect of cruising, in my opinion, concerns the places visited and the people one meets.

Officers on board don't read these boards because they don't have time, but they do read the comment cards that guests fill out. Those folks working on board believe that people who write-in these boards are not representative of everything that is happening. I tend to agree. It takes time and effort, not something everyone has or is willing to spend, to participate in this forum. Visitors/writers are either those who are strong Internet users or people with STRONG desires to be heard (eg. those who've had a particularly bad experience and are frustrated.) A more accurate tap on overall contentment (and discontentment) is the Comment Cards which require no Internet Savvy, and are presented at times that most people can afford to provide their opinions. This said, I do think people at Home Office should read the boards because there remains a large number of potential and current passengers who do so. I suspect it is for their own protection (don't want to set the precedent to respond to everybody when there are times that it would be better for their business not to respond at all) that they don't respond online. It would only set up the expectation that a response is forthcoming, and it would be certain that their reply wouldn't meet expectations. Think of how many times we've misunderstood our fellow board-members posts! It is so easy to misinterpret emails.

Archived