To the Canal or through the Canal?

12B@C

I have noticed that during the last several years cruise ships more than ever only go through one of the six locks and then turn around. Thus they claim to have been to the Panama Canal.

Personally I think this misses a lot of the whole story, the excitement when one sees the whole of this man-made wonder and realizes what effort it took to dig this big ditch with its thousands of casualties. Seeing the sheer mountain side towards the Pacific Ocean where numerous slides occurred and the dredging continues are all part of this experience. Passing large freighters and other cruise ships coming from the other direction with very little room to spare in this narrow section should not be missed.

I realize many folks don’t want to (or cannot afford to) spend the extra money to do a full transit, but I am curious how those who have done the ocean to ocean transit feel about seeing only one set of locks, then go ashore and do other things such as shopping and seeing an “Indian Village”.

If nothing else, and assuming that this is possible, I would highly encourage those who are doing a "partial" to take a separate ferry trip through the canal.

There is an interesting account of the canal with lots of pictures in a previous thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=376447

DH & I were fortuante enough to be able to take a cruise ``to'' the canal and not through the canal two years ago aboard Celebrity Horizon 10 day cruise. We cruised to Panama, took the domed train ride from one side of Panama to the next and then rode back to the cruise ship via bus.

Did we miss feeling the entire experience of the canal, traveling between locks? Maybe.

Do we regret not taking a full transit of the canal? Not yet. We enjoyed what we saw and what we could do at the time. We've both always wanted to see the Panama Canal and we did just what we'd always said we wanted to do on that cruise.

Smeday when we have 2 of 3 week together for a longer vacation we hope to do a full transit of the canal but for now we enjoy our memories of a partial transit and the memories we have of the other ports we saw as well on those all too short 10 days on a cruise.

Dianne

Even worse, some ships these days go to Panama but don't even enter the canal at all; they just dock at Colon - especially the Carnival ships

I was on a partial transit cruise last year and was able to get the best of both worlds. I had a shorter round trip cruise (so time wise and money wise it worked for me). BUT then when I got to Panama I got off the ship in Gatun Lake and continued on through the rest of the canal on a ferry so I got to see the entire length of the canal.

I have noticed that during the last several years cruise ships more than ever only go through one of the six locks and then turn around. Thus they claim to have been to the Panama Canal.

Personally I think this misses a lot of the whole story, the excitement when one sees the whole of this man-made wonder and realizes what effort it took to dig this big ditch with its thousands of casualties. Seeing the sheer mountain side towards the Pacific Ocean where numerous slides occurred and the dredging continues are all part of this experience. Passing large freighters and other cruise ships coming from the other direction with very little room to spare in this narrow section should not be missed.

I realize many folks don’t want to (or cannot afford to) spend the extra money to do a full transit, but I am curious how those who have done the ocean to ocean transit feel about seeing only one set of locks, then go ashore and do other things such as shopping and seeing an “Indian Village”.

If nothing else, and assuming that this is possible, I would highly encourage those who are doing a "partial" to take a separate ferry trip through the canal.

There is an interesting account of the canal with lots of pictures in a previous thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=376447

....actually you go through 3 of the 6 locks.......there are 3 at Gatun to get you up to the level of Gatun Lake and the canal......and the three you miss are on the Pacific side to get you back down.

We have been on both the full and the partial.....the advantage to the partial is I feel the ports are better.....you do not have to sail up the Mexican Pacific coast........:)

...I was on a partial transit cruise last year and was able to get the best of both worlds. I had a shorter round trip cruise (so time wise and money wise it worked for me). BUT then when I got to Panama I got off the ship in Gatun Lake and continued on through the rest of the canal on a ferry so I got to see the entire length of the canal.
I agree! We were just on a partial transit on the Coral Princess, and elected to take the "Panama canal by boat" excursion... Although it was amazing to transit the Gatun locks on the coral princess, it was an equally wonderful but very different experience being in the smaller ferry for the second two sets of locks (we could actually touch the walls of the lock chamber and feel the temperature difference as the water level dropped). It really was the best of both worlds!

• 9 months later...

I have a friend who wants to transit the canal. I have no interest whatsoever. I have seen the Panama Canal 3 times (2 times the Canal was included in the excursions I really wanted to do) & I agree the history was fascinating.

So - since I've seen it working - what exactly am I missing by not traveling through the locks? Anyone else just not that impressed? (I will now duck.)

We just got back yesterday from the 10 day partial transit on the Coral Princess. We went through the three locks of the Gatun Locks on the Caribbean side to Gatun Lake - it was amazing and we enjoyed it immensely.

We had a balcony cabin at the aft on the starboard side, Emerald deck 737, chosen specifically because the balcony was the last one and we would be able to see to the side and back since the balcony rail curved. It was the perfect cabin for the Canal. We were able to watch the locks closing, and if we wanted to see what was in front of the ship we had the Princess tv channel 38. We were able to touch the walls of the locks as we passed through, since the Coral Princess has about 10 inches on each side clearance.

I would like to have the experience of the entire Canal someday, but at this time the vacation days just were not available. I understand that there is a 22 foot tidal difference on the Pacific side, so the lock levels would be even more dramatic. We chose to stay on the ship and not do an excursion to go through the rest of the Canal this time, saving it for another cruise when we will do the full transit.

We will be on the Coral, but do not have a balcony - Where would be the best place to be when going through the canal? So glad to read your postings about the cruise. What tour did you take? Thank you.

Go to the very front of the baja or caribe decks...through the double doors (which have signs that say caution high winds or restricted area or crew only or something along those lines) and you will reach little-known viewing decks...perfect for watching the beginning of the canal transit. later on, you should also move back to the aft decks at the very back of caribe or dolphin, where you can watch the lock doors closing just behind you. It is also interesting to go to the promenade deck so you get a feel for how close the walls of the canal actually are (only a foot or two of clearance between the canal walls and the sides of the coral princess).

The above is good advice. Also the aft deck on Emerald is open to the public, and is on deck 8, so closer to the "action".

We stayed on the ship during the Canal - no excursions; we were told we would not be able to go ashore in Panama unless on a tour, but the ship was quick thru the Canal and it was decided to allow the entire ship to go ashore after all. There was native dancing in the terminal and lots of native crafts for sale by all the different peoples of Panama.

Have a great cruise!! If we do this again, we will order the Champagne Breakfast for our balcony going thru the canal.

Iceberg2, here is my review of this cruise if you are interested:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=423629&page=7 post #123

I have copied your comments so I will keep them on board to know where to go.

Your review was great and hope to have a great time. Its our first time for Panama. I am under the assumption that we go through one lock before we get off the Coral to do our tour. We are probably taking the train, a little pricey, but it won't be too hot. I am trying to find information about anyone who took the Veragua Rain Forest in Limon, Costa Rica, but so far no one as posted about it In Cartagena we will take a bus tour - there are a lot of people out there giving private tours, but it looks like you need to be part of a larger group. I really appreciate your help.

Iceberg2, you are welcome. I hope your cruise is wonderful!

You will go thru all 3 locks of the Gatun Locks into Gatun Lake before you get off for the train excursion. Or at least that is the way it was done on the Coral. I don't think there would be any way for you to get off before reaching Gatun Lake. All ships go to Gatun Lake, and if they are proceeding to the Pacific they continue from there to the next set of locks.

Archived