<<Oceania vs. HAL>>

cle1

We don't know much about Oceania, but the size of the ships, and ports of call sound interesting. How would they compare with HAL? Thanks for any information, from cabins, food, fellow passengers, and service.

Three times on HAL, once on Oceania with 2nd Oceania trip booked, Istanbul to Singapore via the Suez. Thirty plus total cruises completed (primarily with Princess, which has the widest range of itineraries).

Comparing HAL and Oceania is really an apples and oranges thing - the small ship experience is quite different, and very enjoyable.

I for one, although a traditionalist, did like Oceania's "country club casual" dress code. It certainly simplifies packing.

My wife, a foodie, thought Oceania's food the best we have experienced at sea. I am somewhat ambivalent about food, but do agree that Oceania's food is very good!

Oceania is very low-key, and I suppose some might think it sedate. My wife and I thought it fine - we pick and choose our activities.

Three times on HAL, twice on Oceania, with another one booked. Total cruises - over 20 (many different lines)

Differences (JUST MY EXPERIENCE!!!!):

1. Kids. Oceania has few, if any, kids on board. It is an adult cruise line.

2. Passenger demographics. Oceania's seem to be well travelled (and not just on cruises). Age is somewhat similar, although (subjectively) Oceania's seemed to be a little more active and adventurous.

3. Smoking. Very restrictive on Oceania. Only two small areas designated for smoking. No smoking in cabins or on balconies.

4. Dress code. As mentioned - country club casual on Oceania at all times. No formal dress-up nights.

5. Ships. Oceania's ships are smaller and more intimate. makes for easier embarkation and disembarkation.

6. Food. Oceania's food is, by our palates, far superior in all repsects.

7. Specialty Restaurants. No charge on Oceania.

8. Suites. Much less generous in size on Oceania. Cabin sizes vary on both lines, so check carefully.

9. Entertainment. Much more low key on Oceania. HAL's entertainment is superior.

10. Service. We have experienced similar service on both lines for the most part, although Oceania's front desk and excursion services are far inferior to HAL.

I have not sailed on HAL's latest Vista class yet, so my comaprisons are with HAL's R and S classes.

Hope this helps.

Previous posts are right on. We've done 3 HAL sailings and one Oceania (have two more booked in 2007). We've done 29 overall sailings to date with an Alaska sailing on Silver Sea next month. One can not beat the Oceania experience although their tipping policy leaves much to be desired. I do not like pooling tips! Crystal has the optimum policy if one pays their own gratuities...waiter, asst. waiter and cabin attendants (also butler if one is on the penthouse deck.) If one has a bad attendant/ dining room server, you really can't reduce the gratuities without punishing all concerned. Not fair to those who do their job!

Archived