Port Recommendation - Isle Pines, Vila, Lifou, Noumea, Champagne Bay and Wala

chloecruise1

Hi All,

I am going on another cruise at the end of this year with my partner (we are both 23!!) I have been to 3 of the ports already and did some tours but wanted any advice or tips from people if they have ideas! Noumea, Vila and Lifou offer shore excurions. We have been to Noumea and have done the chu chu train before and wanted to know any advice? We know there are things like the Dumbea River Kayak and the ropes course you can do there and wanted to know if they were good or not? Any one else done anything fun there they would recommend or NOT recommend? In Vila we have previously been on the circle island adventure and that was great. We were thinking of just going to Cascade waterfalls for a look and perhaps the Eskup cultural village?? Any other suggestions of what to do in port or things that were fun?

Any suggesiosn for Lifou - Cliffs of Jokin or the caves with stalgmites? :)

I know there are no things organised in port for Isle of Pines, Wala and Chanmpage Bay but when you are there are there things you can organise there? Any suggestsion what the best thing to do is?

ALL HELP and ADVICE much appreciated. Also if you have booked things not on the boat and by yourself let me know the best way please!

Thanks for all the help! We are so excited and just want to be able to do as much as possible!

Addition - I just read about someones review of Ameede Island. We actually think it sounds lovely there but were just concerned regarding the price. Also because it didnt sayanything about the Shark feeding in the tour description we were worried it wouldnt be there..

We did the Cliffs of Jokin, and what they DONT tell you in the Shore Guide book is to get there, there are 200 steps. I'm not the most athletic person, getting down was OK but a little hard, but I didnt have *that* much trouble getting back up either. I did get pretty sunburnt but that was my fault LOL Although the view is lovely and defiantely worth it. And you get a banana leaf hat that you can take back to the ship with you (although they wont let it in Australia) and fresh coconut. Plus the visit to the vanilla plantation of course! The vanilla coffee was to die for!

We did the Amedee Island tour last year - and it's worth every dollar. Everything is included in the price including; Lunch, glass bottom boat trip, shark feeding and entry to the lighthouse. We diid the shark feeding from the boat on the trip out there.

The only thing you need to pay for is drinks & and souveniers you want to buy from the little shop on the island.

2081085810078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

2626765620078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

(Note - about 1/3 of the Island is shown in this photo!)

In Wala, the locals organise their own tours, when you get off the Tender, they all greet you and try to persuade you to go with them.

We had a look around for a bit first (did get a bit annoying being hassled all the time, as we walked around) should have just picked one of the tours and got it over with!! But we decided to take one of the "free" tours, which was fantastic. It was up through the jungle and very well organised. They had different displays and demonstrations along the way. The only thing they don't tell you is that you are expected to give donations along the way at all the different stops. I didn't mind this, but it would have been nice to be informed first. I would recommend this tour, they had all the times written on a blackboard as we got off the tender, but make sure you take plenty of gold coins with you!!

Jodes - Wow, thats great to know about Wala! At least I will be prepared for gold coin donations! Were the free tours organised by the ship or just the people on the island? Hopefully something similar occurs when we are there. Now extra excited for the day in Wala!

Also, Skyrules was the shark feeding at any additional cost n the Ameede Island and if so how much? It looks like it is a wonderful day and I really hope the shark feeding goes on but it in half of the info about shore tours it says shark feeding and in others it does not! I have been told there are lots of snakes there too! Is this the case? i actually kinda hope so it would be great to see!

thanks for all the advice, I think it is just making me more and more excited!!

Jodes - Wow, thats great to know about Wala! At least I will be prepared for gold coin donations! Were the free tours organised by the ship or just the people on the island? Hopefully something similar occurs when we are there. Now extra excited for the day in Wala!

Also, Skyrules was the shark feeding at any additional cost n the Ameede Island and if so how much? It looks like it is a wonderful day and I really hope the shark feeding goes on but it in half of the info about shore tours it says shark feeding and in others it does not! I have been told there are lots of snakes there too! Is this the case? i actually kinda hope so it would be great to see!

thanks for all the advice, I think it is just making me more and more excited!!

The tours were organised by the locals, P&O didn't have any tours for Wala. But I am sure the locals will be there ready to greet you when you arrive. Don't forget to take snorkelling gear too, great snorkelling at Wala.

Oh, and I bought a beautiful big shell from one of the stalls too, I can't remember what they are called, but I have seen them here for close to $100 and I only paid $10. Was a bit worried I wouldn't get it through customs, but had no probs :D

P.S. Love your avatar ;)

The tours were organised by the locals, P&O didn't have any tours for Wala. But I am sure the locals will be there ready to greet you when you arrive. Don't forget to take snorkelling gear too, great snorkelling at Wala.

Oh, and I bought a beautiful big shell from one of the stalls too, I can't remember what they are called, but I have seen them here for close to $100 and I only paid $10. Was a bit worried I wouldn't get it through customs, but had no probs :D

P.S. Love your avatar ;)

Thanks Jodez! Well all the cool people use that Avatar! ;)

Thanks again for all the info. And for the heads up on the shell - last time I was in the South Pacific I saw so much that I wanted but hesitated because I didn't think I would get through - but then I was so jealous that everyone else got through some awesome stuff and I didn't buy what I wanted! Also reminds me to pack less so there is room in my bag!

I see your next cruise is for NYE - I was going to go on that one - looks great!

Shark feeding, and all other actvities on the island, were included in the fare.

Yes, there are lots of the little sea snakes, but if you leave the alone they'll leave you alone. I hate snakes, but because I was prepared for them, and stayed alert, they weren't a problem.

2215235100078909071S600x600Q85.jpg

THATS RIGHT! Wow, I am so excited for it!! It sounds just wonderful! Christmas in the pacific - bliss!! :)

Chloe please come and join our roll call

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965224

there are a few other going on this cruise from here and we are planning to get together on the boat for a meet and greet...

we would love for you to join us..

joanne

P.S. Love your avatar ;)

Re the locals ... if you are on deck early enough you can see them all rowing over to the island getting ready to set up for your arrival - my girls and I found this fascinating.

I've joined the group! :o:o:o I would LOVE to have a meet and greet - sounds wonderful!

Oh and Jodez, thanks for the heads up! I would love to see them rowing over in the morning (plus just that little bit more motivation to get up a bit earlier in the morning when im super relaxed!)

:o

I'm wondering how it will be over Christmas though! We did the Royal C. cruise last year in early december from sydney to the sth pacific and it was all done up for christmas etc but just thinking now for how it will be! Also do you know how we know what "themes" the nights may be? I think there is usually a tropical theme but wasn't sure of the rest!

Super excited x 1000 :)

oh awesome, just thought i'd browse this sight and look at critics, for when i go on my cruise. happens to be that im going on that exact same cruise toooo! haha what a coincidence. im so so excited. never have travelled overseas or been on a cruise before. going with my partner. anyone here like, in there 20's or so by any chance? SEE YOU ALL ON BOARD. Woohoo :D

hey peoples....

on our cruise we should have 2 formal nights ... one island night and one country and western night...

shani my girls are 18 and 20, i am glad that there is also someone going that is their age... LOL...

joanne

Hey there! my partner and I are in our 20 - we are 23! We went on our first cruise to the south pacific last year with royal caribbean! We had previously been overseas ourself and did our own thing but you will love cruising! It is so relaxing! And first port overseas is isle of pines - it is wonderful! Ohh...country and western night...hmmm....

The countdown is on! So excited! Have you decided if you are going on any shore tours or have plans for in port?

Hey just a question with regards to money at the ports. When we went to Vanuatu and NC last time we exchanged money for the ports but found that most people wanted aussie dollars anyway. We only really tried to use money in Vila and Luganville though so I just wanted to know what I should do for the other ports? Do I get money for NC and vanuatu or just aussie $$? Tips would be appreciated!

Archived