Not Warm Chocolate Melting Cake - But Close!

balcony bound

The first time I tried the chocolate melting cake, I laughed. It is very similar to a recipe that I have made for years and years. I'm making it today, and thought of all the snowbound folks today and figured you might be needing a treat. This recipe uses things you probably have in your pantry... and is very close to the warm chocolate melting cake. Enjoy...

• 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa, divided
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1-1/4 cups hot water
  • Whipped topping or ice cream

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla; beat until smooth.

2. Pour batter into ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Pour hot water over top; do not stir.

3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes. Serve in dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top. Garnish with whipped topping or ice cream. About 8 servings.

My mom used to make this exact same receipe when we were kids. We called it hot fudge cake. I can remember her putting it in the oven and getting all of us baths and in our jammies and then eating it hot over ice cream when it first came out of the oven. I think it's better than warm chocolate melting cake, much fudgier!

Thanks for the recipe. Perhaps another day.

There's an organic restaurant in our area that we frequent often that does a fabulous version. Today, I'd rather go there as we're exhausted from shovelling and baking anything isn't going to happen. :D

Thanks for thinking of us. A very nice thought, indeed. ;)

Well, I couldn't stand it.....had to give this a try.....it's my last hoorah, as tomorrow is major diet day.:rolleyes:

I, like another poster, had all the ingredients except the cocoa.......so being the redneck that I am, use to Southern Engineering:eek:......I used Swiss Miss Cocoa Mix....it is in the oven, looks yummy and smells yummy....guess we will see.:p

Thanks for posting the recipe!

hmmm LOL, I'm not sure exactly how that will turn out. Promise to try again sometime with the cocoa....

Oh, and always happy to meet a fella redneck!

Well....I just took it out of the oven.....and of course had to immediately taste test.....pretty darn good.....so I can only imagine how much better it will be next time....with real cocoa!!:D

Archived