Just filed my first claim ever

klscaz

The paperwork was unbelievable! Started the claim on an unintuitive website, printed out reams of supporting documentation including proof that I bought the policy? I would think that they could verify my insurance purchase by the confirmation number that they requested online.

Anyway--it is done now. I am going to put the 16 page tome in the mail tomorrow (certified) and hope for the best!

Fortunately, our hiccup happened at the end of our trip and didn't really impact the quality of our vacation very much!

16 pages is actually pretty short! The two claims I have filed clocked in at 20-something and 30-something pages! They are not needlessly trying to waste your time; they have a specific reason for each thing they ask for. I did not think anything TravelGuard has asked me for was unreasonable.

Although it is odd that they want proof you purchased the policy; as you said, you would think they would know this already. Which provider was this?

SirWired

Thanks for your reply. The carrier is Travelex which is owned by Nationwide.

The claim form instructions say:

Please be sure to include:

1) copies of the front and back of your canceled checks and/or your credit card statements showing your payments for the trip and the travel protection plan purchase; and 2) a copy of your trip invoice.

It is probably a generic form. If I bought the policy thru a travel agent then they might need proof of payment but I purchased it on their website.

16 pages is actually pretty short! The two claims I have filed clocked in at 20-something and 30-something pages!

SirWired

Were both of your claims resolved to your satisfaction? Mine is only $309 that is why I was starting to think the time I was investing was onerous. But--$300 bucks is $300 bucks!

We were booked on a 32-day South America/Caribbean cruise on the Star Princess. The day before we were to fly to Chile, the earthquake occurred. The airport was closed and we were unable to get to the ship even though it sailed two days late. The cost to get to alternate ports was more than the insurance would pay us. The staff at Princess gave us wrong information and were very rude. After days of trying to get to the ship, we gave up and cancelled. We sent our clain to Travelex along with many pages of back-up, but the denied our claim!! Our TA is trying to appeal on our behalf but it doesn't look good. Many people are in the same fix as we are and everyone is mad at Princess, who have given us no consideration whatsoever. Now we are very disappointed with Travelex, who we had heard was good, but apparently not!! What a bummer! We're out about $5,000 in all! We are looking at other avenues to file complaints.

NMI

We sent our clain to Travelex along with many pages of back-up, but the denied our claim!! Our TA is trying to appeal on our behalf but it doesn't look good. Many people are in the same fix as we are and everyone is mad at Princess, who have given us no consideration whatsoever. Now we are very disappointed with Travelex, who we had heard was good, but apparently not!! What a bummer! We're out about $5,000 in all! We are looking at other avenues to file complaints.

NMI

I'm sorry to hear that. $5000 is alot of money. Here in the State of Connecticut, we have an insurance commissioner; if your state has a similar office, they may be able to help you. Best wishes! Kathy

We were booked on a 32-day South America/Caribbean cruise on the Star Princess. The day before we were to fly to Chile, the earthquake occurred. The airport was closed and we were unable to get to the ship even though it sailed two days late. The cost to get to alternate ports was more than the insurance would pay us. The staff at Princess gave us wrong information and were very rude. After days of trying to get to the ship, we gave up and cancelled. We sent our clain to Travelex along with many pages of back-up, but the denied our claim!! Our TA is trying to appeal on our behalf but it doesn't look good. Many people are in the same fix as we are and everyone is mad at Princess, who have given us no consideration whatsoever. Now we are very disappointed with Travelex, who we had heard was good, but apparently not!! What a bummer! We're out about $5,000 in all! We are looking at other avenues to file complaints.

NMI

May I ask what Travelex's stated reason was for denying your claim?

Most insurance companies require that if one does not make it to port in time to board their ship they must still do everything possible to catch up with their ship before 50% of their cruise is completed. The insurance companies will only pay for canceling a cruise if that is not possible. And unfortunately "not possible" does NOT mean because it is expensive but instead because there are not flights available to get you where you need to be before 50% of your cruise is completed. Unfortuantely not many purchasers of insurance pay a whole lot of attention to the actual details of the "trip delay" coverage in their policy and its coverage amount which can be quite low in terms of last minute flight arrangements to foreign countries not to mention hotels and other expenses incurred attempting to catch up to a cruiseship.

I am so sorry that you and so many others do not get to enjoy the wonderful cruise that you had planned.

Thanks for your reply. The carrier is Travelex which is owned by Nationwide.

The claim form instructions say:

Please be sure to include:

1) copies of the front and back of your canceled checks and/or your credit card statements showing your payments for the trip and the travel protection plan purchase; and 2) a copy of your trip invoice.

It is probably a generic form. If I bought the policy thru a travel agent then they might need proof of payment but I purchased it on their website.

Ah! That makes more sense. They are just looking to line up the dates for the trip purchase vs. the insurance purchase. If you had left out the statement with the insurance purchase on it, I have a feeling they'd still pay.

SirWired

Were both of your claims resolved to your satisfaction? Mine is only $309 that is why I was starting to think the time I was investing was onerous. But--$300 bucks is $300 bucks!

Yes, both claims were paid. One was for $1500, and took two weeks to pay. The other was for $500, that took longer because the claim got "stuck" in underwriting. I monitored it online and gave them a little prod or two to get it unstuck.

No denials, no requests for more documentation.

SirWired

Yes, both claims were paid. One was for $1500, and took two weeks to pay. The other was for $500, that took longer because the claim got "stuck" in underwriting. I monitored it online and gave them a little prod or two to get it unstuck.

No denials, no requests for more documentation.

SirWired

Good to hear! I will monitor on line and write again when I have an update! Thanks for sharing your experience.

• 1 month later...
Good to hear! I will monitor on line and write again when I have an update! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Just a note to let you know that my claim was paid less a $50 deductible for medical expenses. It took a month to get the check--not bad!

Archived