Why not trust the GPS?

bigal41

Probably because many major roads come together, fly over and split off and it is a real mess to find your way into the single road that leads to the port. Baltimore's port is similar in that you have to get the correct road that leads down to the port (but once you see how to get into the port area it is super easy).

Search this east coast depatures thread and there are excellent directions on how to get to the Cape Liberty port. It helps.

Many folks have reported that the GPS misdirected them at the Bayonne turnpike exit 14A. Also, coming from southern CT the GPS likes to send you on I95 through the South Bronx. I drive the route between MA and central NJ many times a year and recommend the Merritt Parkway to the Hutchinson River Pkwy to the Cross County to the Saw Mill to the Henry Hudson to get to the George Washington Bridge. It's a cars only route with no big scary trucks and has a $3 toll, which is worth every penny. Every once and a while I have to drive I95 and I always regret it.

The BEST reason not to use GPS: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100915_Driver_in_fatal_bus_crash_put_on_unpaid_leave.html

THEY SIMPLY DO NOT WORK WELL in major metropolitan areas.

I have had truck drivers end up on the Parkways (a big no no on the East Coast), on dead end roads, in front of RR underpasses that are marked 11 foot-can't get a 13'6" semi through and really struggling to get where they need to be. These are all GPS units MADE FOR SEMI'S. I have now banned all GPS from all trucks. If you can't call and get the directions, we don't need to to deliver your freight. You can pick up your freight from the local freight warehouse.

Same thing applies to cars-you MAY or may NOT get where you need to be. Same thing with Google, MapQuest, etc. etc. Technology has some benefits but depending on it can leave you in deep doo doo.

I have been in major cities and a lot of other places with my GPS and I have never had any problems with it leading me in the right direction. I was once in the D.C. area and was looking for a paticular place from the hotel I wa staying at and got real twisted around trying to find the place till I was way out of the way and didn't know where I was at (GPS was in the trunk of the car). I pulled onto a side street and got the GPS out and entered in the address I was looking for and it took me right to it. I had went about 4 miles out of the way when the place I was looking for was only about a mile and a half from the hotel. I love my GPS!

The BEST reason not to use GPS: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100915_Driver_in_fatal_bus_crash_put_on_unpaid_leave.html

THEY SIMPLY DO NOT WORK WELL in major metropolitan areas.

I have had truck drivers end up on the Parkways (a big no no on the East Coast), on dead end roads, in front of RR underpasses that are marked 11 foot-can't get a 13'6" semi through and really struggling to get where they need to be. These are all GPS units MADE FOR SEMI'S. I have now banned all GPS from all trucks. If you can't call and get the directions, we don't need to to deliver your freight. You can pick up your freight from the local freight warehouse.

Same thing applies to cars-you MAY or may NOT get where you need to be. Same thing with Google, MapQuest, etc. etc. Technology has some benefits but depending on it can leave you in deep doo doo.

weird I am on my third generation of GPS and while I used to have trouble in NY, the newest one is much much better. Newer ones find the satellites much faster and seem to have more accurate maps. Do they always take you the "best" way...well mostly the shortest but as you and I know the shortest in NY metro area is not always the best.

You do need to keep alert. There is a lawsuit in NJ for a traffic death where the driver supposedly follow the GPS and turned left in an area where all turns are made from the right hand lane.

In France the GPS did once take me down a street closed to everyone but pedestrian traffic...

I have been in major cities and a lot of other places with my GPS and I have never had any problems with it leading me in the right direction. I was once in the D.C. area and was looking for a paticular place from the hotel I wa staying at and got real twisted around trying to find the place till I was way out of the way and didn't know where I was at (GPS was in the trunk of the car). I pulled onto a side street and got the GPS out and entered in the address I was looking for and it took me right to it. I had went about 4 miles out of the way when the place I was looking for was only about a mile and a half from the hotel. I love my GPS!

You were fortunate. GPS does NOT work as well as you are lead to believe by the GPS manufacturers in a lot of places. Take it from one who runs 35 trucks Coast to Coast and deals with the East and West Coast every day of the week. We have had MISERABLE luck with GPS on the East Coast (not quite as bad on the West Coast, but still some problems.)

GPS for cars is a lot more reliable than GPS for trucks (the reviews I've read seem to be pretty iffy even for the Garmin truck GPS, which surprises me. The PC-Miler and I forget the name of the one before that were total junk according to the talk shows). A lot of issues people have with GPS is they set it for fastest (the society we live in these days LOL) route, which in a lot of cases, the GPS thinks is the shortest route. A unit with FM traffic should be a lot more reliable in a city than one without. It's also important to keep up the subscriptions on them, if not every year, then at least every 2 years. But even with all that, they still aren't infallible.

I'm sure the Darwin Awards are going to start recognizing people who kill themselves because the GPS told them to. I've heard people talk about their TomTom like it's an auto-pilot, and it can see the off-ramp in a snowstorm for them. They think because their unit says Garmin, and the one in the 747 says Garmin that they do they same thing. As if Boeing runs down to Walmart for a $99 special or something LOL.

I'm on my 3rd GPS & as much as I love having it, I always get directions from someone who knows before getting in the car. The GPS always gets me where I want to go but it doesn't necessarily take the best or easiest route.

When we went to Cape Liberty in April, we stopped at Foxwood for a few hours & then spent the night in Stamford. From there, it was a straight shot down 95 (awful road but it made sense based on where we were). If I had followed my GPS (Garmin) directions, I would have taken an exit just before the George Washington Bridge. DH & I had quite an argument when I chose to stay on 95 but, as bad as 95 is, driving through the Bronx with Mass plates was a lot less appealing.............

I'm on my 3rd GPS & as much as I love having it, I always get directions from someone who knows before getting in the car. The GPS always gets me where I want to go but it doesn't necessarily take the best or easiest route.

When we went to Cape Liberty in April, we stopped at Foxwood for a few hours & then spent the night in Stamford. From there, it was a straight shot down 95 (awful road but it made sense based on where we were). If I had followed my GPS (Garmin) directions, I would have taken an exit just before the George Washington Bridge. DH & I had quite an argument when I chose to stay on 95 but, as bad as 95 is, driving through the Bronx with Mass plates was a lot less appealing.............

I understand those directions. They would have taken you down the west side h'way(no trucks) to the Holland Tunnel to Bayonne....its both shorter and faster and less traffic most times. Its really not bad directions.... But you never would have been on the streets in the Bronx....Upper Manhattan yes but never the Bronx(you were on the Cross Bronx Expressway a terrible road) most of us would have sent you on the Parkways to the GWB avoiding 95 mostly......

I understand those directions. They would have taken you down the west side h'way(no trucks) to the Holland Tunnel to Bayonne....its both shorter and faster and less traffic most times. Its really not bad directions.... But you never would have been on the streets in the Bronx....Upper Manhattan yes but never the Bronx(you were on the Cross Bronx Expressway a terrible road) most of us would have sent you on the Parkways to the GWB avoiding 95 mostly......

I'll take your word for it but my directions said to take the GW & exit 14A so I stayed with the sure thing............

I'll take your word for it. My directions said take the GW then exit 14A & I wasn't taking any chances!

phoenix1181 - your GPS gave you "correct" directions, but not optimal directions. If I had seen a post from you on this board, I would have never sent you all the way down I95 from Stamford because it is a truly awful road. I just did essentially the same trip on Saturday from central NJ to Stamford RR station and I went on the cars only parkway route through NY and cut over to I95 on I287. I missed the Cross Bronx experience completely and had a lovely ride by comparison on the beautiful parkways.

The problem with the NY metro area is that there are many choices of routes through and around the city. That's why it is so important to ask the locals about the best routes.

phoenix1181 - your GPS gave you "correct" directions, but not optimal directions. If I had seen a post from you on this board, I would have never sent you all the way down I95 from Stamford because it is a truly awful road. I just did essentially the same trip on Saturday from central NJ to Stamford RR station and I went on the cars only parkway route through NY and cut over to I95 on I287. I missed the Cross Bronx experience completely and had a lovely ride by comparison on the beautiful parkways.

The problem with the NY metro area is that there are many choices of routes through and around the city. That's why it is so important to ask the locals about the best routes.

We're taking the same trip again in May & plan on spending the night in Stamford again. Any help you can provide to make the driving less stressful will be greatly appreciated!

From Stamford you would get on I95 south towards NY. At the NY line (after exit 1), you take I287 west and get off at the Hutchinson River Parkway SOUTH (the exit takes you on a service road and through a couple of lights before you get to an entrance ramp). When you get to the New Rochelle area (exit 17???), stay left and take the Cross County Parkway. Stay in the middle lane, which will become the left lane when the lanes are merged. This will position you to get on the Saw Mill River Parkway South. The Saw Mill becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway at the NYC line. Pay the $3 toll and stay on the left for the GW Bridge exit.

No trucks. Fewer insane NY drivers. Roads are in better shape. Worth every penny of the toll and you will sneak onto the GW bridge at the very last entrance.

From Stamford you would get on I95 south towards NY. At the NY line (after exit 1), you take I287 west and get off at the Hutchinson River Parkway SOUTH (the exit takes you on a service road and through a couple of lights before you get to an entrance ramp). When you get to the New Rochelle area (exit 17???), stay left and take the Cross County Parkway. Stay in the middle lane, which will become the left lane when the lanes are merged. This will position you to get on the Saw Mill River Parkway South. The Saw Mill becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway at the NYC line. Pay the $3 toll and stay on the left for the GW Bridge exit.

No trucks. Fewer insane NY drivers. Roads are in better shape. Worth every penny of the toll and you will sneak onto the GW bridge at the very last entrance.

Thanks! I know it's going to be a much better ride!

Just wanted to chime in here and say that the directions that 138east gave me (the same in this thread) using all the parkways were spot on when we came down from Western Mass in August. We've taken our chances with I-95 in the past but didn't want to risk it for a cruise. I printed out Google Maps of the route so could tell how far we were moving along in the trip and had no problems at all:)

Thanks bluesharpie. There are never any guarantees on any of the NY roads. Basic directions should always be supplemented by maps and/or GPS in case you run into a traffic problem. IMO it's a lot easier to pick up alternative routes from the parkways and almost any area will be OK if you have to get off the road. I95 (Cross Bronx Expressway) is notorious in NYC for its traffic issues and if you have to get off the road, you probably won't like what you find.

Help me, please, help me! I am so confused now.:( We are staying at the Newark Airport Crowne Plaza. Can someone give me play-by-play driving instructions to the port? All the different stuff I have read has given me the willys. I wish we had planned to stay at a park-and-sail hotel but that is out of the question now. I need 1-2-3,etc. directions if anyone can give them to me. I really would appreciate the help.

I haven't stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Having said that, the hotel web site gives directions to the hotel.

EXIT 13A FROM NJ TURNPIKE AFTER TOLL, TAKE MIDDLE LANE EXIT FOR NORTH AVE WEST/DOWD AVE. KEEP FOLLOWING NORTH AVE-DOWD AVE SIGNS (ROUTE 81). GO STRAIGHT THROUGH ONE LIGHT. NEXT TRAFFIC LIGHT IS RT.1&9 NORTH. MAKE RIGHT ONTO RT. 1&9 NORTH.

My interpretation of this is that you need to get on RT 1 & 9 North and stay on the right in order to be able to turn into the hotel.

To get to Cape Liberty you would want to take routes 1 &9 north and watch for the signs for I78 east and the NJ Turnpike. This is the "Exit 14" area of the turnpike and there are three choices - north, south, and east. I78 is "east" and will probably be marked something like Exit 14A, 14B, and 14C and Holland Tunnel. Get off at exit 14A. You can follow the Mapquest directions for this portion of the trip.

At the Exit 14A toll plaza, you want to go straight across the plaza and head up a ramp that curves left. Stay right and bear right at every opportunity until you come to the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make at left at the first traffic light which is Port Terminal Blvd.

I haven't stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Having said that, the hotel web site gives directions to the hotel.

EXIT 13A FROM NJ TURNPIKE AFTER TOLL, TAKE MIDDLE LANE EXIT FOR NORTH AVE WEST/DOWD AVE. KEEP FOLLOWING NORTH AVE-DOWD AVE SIGNS (ROUTE 81). GO STRAIGHT THROUGH ONE LIGHT. NEXT TRAFFIC LIGHT IS RT.1&9 NORTH. MAKE RIGHT ONTO RT. 1&9 NORTH.

My interpretation of this is that you need to get on RT 1 & 9 North and stay on the right in order to be able to turn into the hotel.

To get to Cape Liberty you would want to take routes 1 &9 north and watch for the signs for I78 east and the NJ Turnpike. This is the "Exit 14" area of the turnpike and there are three choices - north, south, and east. I78 is "east" and will probably be marked something like Exit 14A, 14B, and 14C and Holland Tunnel. Get off at exit 14A. You can follow the Mapquest directions for this portion of the trip.

At the Exit 14A toll plaza, you want to go straight across the plaza and head up a ramp that curves left. Stay right and bear right at every opportunity until you come to the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make at left at the first traffic light which is Port Terminal Blvd.

Thanks. i am printing out your directions and putting them with the docs. :)

I printed directions from bing and mapquest, read them overand over and over then before we left the hotel I programmed the GPS and, I guess I got lucky because, the GPS took us there spot-on... No problems what so ever. Granted, I had updated the thing about 3 weeks before we left.

Dont stress out about the drive into the port (i did and it was all for nothing)...print off directions from your hotel to the address that is on the Ports website and you'll be fine.

Archived