Problem With Glory Tours

dralston

I, my sister and her husband took a Southern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Serenade of the Seas. We were in Barbados on February 2, 2005. We had booked the Best of Barbados tour with Glory Tours. We had all the confirmations and were given good directions and were told to meet the tour outside the terminal gatehouse at 9:00. We were there by 8:45 and waited and waited and waited. We saw a group of four (two couples) also waiting there and determined they likewise were booked on that tour. It also was a taxi stand and a lot of drivers were around there. Apparently they let someone in our group (or called themselves) and we were informed that "Sarah had been contacted" and someone was coming. Eventually a small van came that could not accommodate all of us but were told that Sarah (the owner) was on her way. It was some time after 10:00 a.m. that she arrived.

The other driver took the other party and Sarah took us in her car. She said she was sorry but that she had a computer virus. That was the extent of the explanation. We all wondered why she would not have a duplicate record of her bookings and at the very least, if she was not sure she had a tour, would have at least come out and checked!

At any rate, she told us we would still be able to do everything on the tour except the snorkeling. As it turned out all we got to do was Harrison’s Cave and the Wildlife Reserve as well as lunch. After going through Harrison’s Cave we waited a while for a van that she had arranged for. Chris was the driver and did his best to make the trip pleasant for a group that was not very happy.

After lunch we were told that we would also not be able to do any of the water activities and that we would be refunded for all we missed. I think they said the water conditions were bad, but it did not look all that bad to us. Chris drove us around some and at one point asked us if we wanted to go somewhere (I forget where) or go back to the ship. All agreed that at that point we just wanted to go back to the ship. We did enjoy what we did see and tried to make the best of the day but clearly it was quite disappointing, the only low point of the whole cruise.

As far as the refund, I am not sure of all the details of that as my sister handled it but I do know it took a month before it was resolved.

I write this not to knock Glory Tours. I do it so that others may not experience something like this. Glory Tours may generally do a fine job. But this tour was poorly handled for us. If there had been some emergency or something we would have understood, but the “computer virus” explanation just did not cut it with us.

And just to prove that I don’t just pick on the negative things, we had read some negative things previous to the cruise about the hotel we stayed at in San Juan. We had a pleasant stay there and I made a point of posting about our good experience on the Puerto Rcio message board. I have waited to post this now only to be sure all the finances had been worked out to my sister’s satisfaction. Apparently they finally have.

:) Hi Everyone

I happy to respond to this. It is actually good it has come up. I was trying to figure out if I should or should not write about it on the board. This actually makes it easier.

Many of you may already know Barbados has had some very high sea recently. Some may even remember the day I was on tour and mentioned that one of the boats we use got beached and the high waves destroyed it. We did have a snorkel tour scheduled that day and it had been cancelled earlier because of the high sea.

The sea is something we can not control what we can however control is the fact that we use fantastic operators who put there guest safety above making money

And lets face it they wont cancel unless we have to they do want to make money just not at the expense of someone being injured.

Many returning visitors to Barbados and many of the message boards are talking about the sea in Barbados how high it has been and how much of the beach it has eaten away.

There are times when it does not look as bad but the current is bad and it make the snorkeling stressful because you keep drifting down the coast and rather fast and the crew keeps having to try and keep you together.

I can 100% guarantee you that any time we cancel a snorkeling tour is because we have to for your safety and every time we do we refund that portion not sometimes EVERY TIME.

Now to the VIRUS it is just what happened my computer technician put a anti virus software on my computer which corrupted my accounts files so the antivirus was taken off and in that time my computer got a VIRUS and it messed up more files. I now have a VIRUS free computer with new VIRS software with extra security being added by Sunday. We are a growing company and sometimes it takes certain things to happen to show you ways in which you need to improve. Let me also assure you as soon as I was aware of the situation I left my office and headed straight to the port. The only reason the tour was not completed was because of the sea.

I hate when anything affects your happiness is always at the utmost importance to me so I will continue to strive to offer you the very best.

I wish I could fix the sea issue for you but I just can not. I can however promise to always make the decision to keep you safe rather than put you in any position of danger.

I can 100% guarantee you that any time we cancel a snorkeling tour is because we have to for your safety and every time we do we refund that portion not sometimes EVERY TIME.

Not to prolong this, but it is our recollection that we were told almost immediately on being picked up in the morning that the only thing that would have to be canceled was the snorkeling and the reason given was because the tour got started over an hour late (and not, at that point, because it was for our safety).

It was in the afternoon that we were told that the rest of the sea activities (Glass Bottom Boat and Turtles) had to be canceled due to the seas as I understood it. And if that was indeed the case, I appreciate the cancellation. I have read of some providers who push the envelope to get the tour to go, and like you Sarah, I would not want that if it is not safe!

And yes, according to my sister who handled the finances, we apparently got a fair refund for all that we missed (not just the snorkeling) but it took a while; but sometimes that will happen.

Again, I am not writing this as sour grapes. I have no way of knowing, but this may have been a rare lapse in service. But I do think it is good to share both good and bad experiences. At any rate, I hope things go well for you and that your computer is all well now! :) And I agree that once we finally were picked up in the morning you did your best personally to save the day.

Hi:)

Thank you for being so understanding:)

I do hate when anything like this happens and for me the computer virus problem was a first.

Everything should be fine now we are even adding new security for our customers. I have been trying to do this for months but I am relying on my computer technician.

And yes Barbados is beautifull but as many of you that have visited will know everything goes at a very slow pase.

Oh by the way just a P.S the snorkeling is art of the glass Bottom cruise I was concerned that you would not be able to do the snorkel part because of the time but the captain was hoping to work it in I just had not mentioned it to add any let downs but it all got messed up in the end when the sea turned on us

The seas seem to be easing now and today we had a completly sucsessfull trip in every way. to the poit I was seranaded by a van full of cruisers LOL what a hoot.

Oh I love my cruisers from cruise critic :)

Hey Mr.G thanks for your kind post and for again being so understanding I know you where also dissapointed about not being able to do the snorkel cruise.

Glad to see you are still in business. I thought maybe you were not since I haven't had any response from you for well over a year of emailing you. I still have not received my camera I left on your van. You told me a few times you were mailing it back to me, but then the emails stopped and my emails have been ignored. I hope you still have my camera as I have been waiting to get the film developed from our cruise the summer of 2003. Please let me know. Thank you.

Hi I am still here I have not had any emails from you since sending the camera.

I thought you must have gotten it after I did not here back from you. Mail in Barbados is screwey I should have Fedexed it but It just would have been so much more money.

I do apologize.

I hope you are doing well drop me a line

Sarah

Hi everyone:

I am admitting........

Yes, I was one of the people in the van when Ricky pulled up and you came out of the house Sarah. We were singing....Glory, glory, hallejuiah.....because we had such an awesome day with Ricky. To me, Glory Tours provided us with everything we had we expected and more. Thanks Sarah.... we had a fantastic time. Your company will always come highly recommended by our cruise critic group. Best tour we had from an independent tour company on the whole cruise.

Debbie:)

And I admit Sarah, I was one of the singers too, and my apologies if you have a musical ear, but we were having fun, you must admit. My only comment is that I would have loved a hamburger for lunch with a side of macaroni pie rather than the chicken and pie....... I know, I'm a pain, but it would have been tasty.....

Kerry

Archived