missed connection insurance

I'm looking for an insurance plan that covers missed connections (to my cruise) for flight delays of any reason.

CSA has good coverage (100% of trip cost), but the fine print only mentions weather:

The Insurer will pay up to the amount in the schedule should

you miss your cruise or tour departure as the result of the

cancellation or delay of 3 or more hours of your regularly

scheduled airline flights due to inclement weather.

I want to make sure I'm covered for any reason my flight may get delayed (mech issues, air traffic shutdown, etc.). 3 hours is definitely reasonable.

Does anyone know of any?

I like TravelSafe's missed connection benefit:

"Missed Connection: If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount [$2500 per person], for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot. "

The $2500 per person should be enough in most circumstances. But take a minute and check to see what a last-minute one-way air ticket would cost to get you to the next port of call and what the value of any lost days of the cruise would be.

"Missed Connection: If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount [$2500 per person], for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to: a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier); b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure; c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot. "

The $2500 per person should be enough in most circumstances. But take a minute and check to see what a last-minute one-way air ticket would cost to get you to the next port of call and what the value of any lost days of the cruise would be.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for. :-)

Thanks again for pointing me to TravelSafe.

I got a policy over the weekend for my upcoming trip.

This is the first time I've ever bought trip insurance. I've always "self insured" in the past because I never had high non-refundable costs before. I'm also covered for baggage and car rental damage with my CC.

This time, though, I'm catching a non-refundable cruise and was not able to score a hotel so I'm traveling with about 5 hours of margin... that worries me. I would normaly arrive at the departure point at least a day before (as I am in Nov), but this was the only way to make the vacation work this time around.

Archived