Thinking of a golf cart - any thoughts?

want2seaitall

The golf carts are great for exploring the beach road to the south of the town. You can skip right through the town, you are not allowed on the malecon with a cart, and take the beach road south. The first mile is scattered hotels and a few beach bars/restaurants. They begin to get more sparse after that with a half mile between places. Stop in a few along the way for a cold drink and a swim. Hit a bunch along the way. Beaches are beautiful but because they are remote, have lots of trash and sea grass along the shore. But a very fun and safe day if you are adventurous. Only bad part is you have to have the carts back way before you leave. Cuts your day a bit short. Do not rent one to just go into town. It is a waste since the town is small and you can't drive them on the malecon. Take a $2 taxi into town. Less than 5 minutes to the port so you can stay in town an hour or two longer.

I agree, the golf carts are perfect for exploring the beach road to the south of the town. The road is bumpy but it's a nice landscape. There are several little resorts on the coast and you can stop where you like. In this season there is lot of seagrass, if you want a nice beach with no seagrass I suggest to go to the Puerto Angel Area (at the end of the south road). If you google it you will find the golf cart rental in costa maya.

Watch out when renting the golf carts...we were just there on March 7 and thought it would be fun...they gave us a "deal" for $15/hour/cart...we got 2 carts. We paid $60 upfront for the 2 carts (for 2 hours). Once we got into town, the one cart stopped working and we had to push it with the other cart. The carts are numbered and once ours broke, someone that had passed us that said they had that cart about an hour earlier and it had broke on them too. Finally, we just left the cart parked enjoyed the day at TROPICANTE (which was amazing by the way!!) and returned about 4 hours later (2 hours longer than our time we paid for). When we arrived, pushing the broken cart with the other cart, we told the guy it stopped working and he didn't really seem to care and said that the guy we rented it from wasn't there. He didn't check our receipt for how long we had paid for or anything, so essentially, for the inconveinence we got 2 hours for free on 2 carts! But I wouldn't bet your luck on that happening...especially if you only have 1 cart. Take the taxi from the stand located near the Hard Rock Cafe...It is a little ways outside of the port gates (you have to walk through the parking lot and out of the gates and past the little guard hut) and then down the road and it will be on the right hand side. The taxis inside the gate are paid by various sketchy beach clubs along the malecon to drop you off at their clubs...not a good way to do business IMO. The people at the taxi stand near hard rock cafe will drop you off at any specific location you would like and ar emuch more honest! Go to TROPICANTE, Steve is great!!!! :D

Watch out when renting the golf carts...we were just there on March 7 and thought it would be fun...they gave us a "deal" for $15/hour/cart...we got 2 carts. We paid $60 upfront for the 2 carts (for 2 hours). Once we got into town, the one cart stopped working and we had to push it with the other cart. The carts are numbered and once ours broke, someone that had passed us that said they had that cart about an hour earlier and it had broke on them too. Finally, we just left the cart parked enjoyed the day at TROPICANTE (which was amazing by the way!!) and returned about 4 hours later (2 hours longer than our time we paid for). When we arrived, pushing the broken cart with the other cart, we told the guy it stopped working and he didn't really seem to care and said that the guy we rented it from wasn't there. He didn't check our receipt for how long we had paid for or anything, so essentially, for the inconveinence we got 2 hours for free on 2 carts! But I wouldn't bet your luck on that happening...especially if you only have 1 cart. Take the taxi from the stand located near the Hard Rock Cafe...It is a little ways outside of the port gates (you have to walk through the parking lot and out of the gates and past the little guard hut) and then down the road and it will be on the right hand side. The taxis inside the gate are paid by various sketchy beach clubs along the malecon to drop you off at their clubs...not a good way to do business IMO. The people at the taxi stand near hard rock cafe will drop you off at any specific location you would like and ar emuch more honest! Go to TROPICANTE, Steve is great!!!! :D

what company did you get the carts through...there are more then one and I'd rather stay away from THIS one? Thanks :)

what company did you get the carts through...there are more then one and I'd rather stay away from THIS one? Thanks :)

To be honest off the top of my head I'm not sure..I wanna say something like "Ozel" or something...I haven't finished unpacking but I will try to locate my receipt...They were the only "stand" as you walk out of the shopping area towards the parking lot and were towards the left as you walked out, at the corner of the building. They had blue polo shirts for their uniform with the company name on it. As far as I have heard, there is pretty much one guy that owns most all of the different transportation "companies" including taxis inside the port gates and the golf cart company we used and he isn't a very well liked guy...I would definately advise away from renting a golf cart with ANY company as it would be a VERY long walk if you got stranded "downtown" and would ruin most of your day...take the safe route and rent a taxi for $2pp outside the port near the hard rock cafe...i know i will for sure go that route next time!!

To be honest off the top of my head I'm not sure..I wanna say something like "Ozel" or something...I haven't finished unpacking but I will try to locate my receipt...They were the only "stand" as you walk out of the shopping area towards the parking lot and were towards the left as you walked out, at the corner of the building. They had blue polo shirts for their uniform with the company name on it. As far as I have heard, there is pretty much one guy that owns most all of the different transportation "companies" including taxis inside the port gates and the golf cart company we used and he isn't a very well liked guy...I would definately advise away from renting a golf cart with ANY company as it would be a VERY long walk if you got stranded "downtown" and would ruin most of your day...take the safe route and rent a taxi for $2pp outside the port near the hard rock cafe...i know i will for sure go that route next time!!

ok Thank you! :)

Archived