hidden coin on the pearl

dustyroad

they are hidden on the carnival ships. when they are building the ships they put them in random places that are kind of hidden. they are rather large and they have been found in elevators, on the decks and anywhere on the ship that is kind of out of the way. it is a fun thing too do too try and find them. i did not know if ncl did this or not. maybe they dont do it.

I asked about the hidden coin on the Gem when I had an opportunity to speak to the Captain and he told me that there was no hidden coin on the Gem. Not sure about the Pearl, but if the Gem is any indication of NCL policy, I would guess no.

Here's a link to Wikipedia's article concerning the tradition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_ceremony

I asked about the hidden coin on the Gem when I had an opportunity to speak to the Captain and he told me that there was no hidden coin on the Gem. Not sure about the Pearl, but if the Gem is any indication of NCL policy, I would guess no.

Here's a link to Wikipedia's article concerning the tradition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coin_ceremony

thanks johnql. i wish they did. it gives the kids something too look for. :)

Are you talking about the building of the ship when they lay the Keel? It is ceremonial to add a coin for good luck at the start of the building of the ship.

yes, that is it. i thought i read once on the carnival site that one had been found on a elevator. perhaps i was mistaken about that.

Looks like placing a coin on the ship for good luck is a tradition of shipbuilders. Also looks like that Carnival "exposes" these coins where they can be found, and NCL doesn't.

We're all talking about coins. :)

A few years back while I was on the "Behind The Fun" tour on the Carnival Fascination, I asked the captain about it. He didn't know of it's location but another officer told me it was by the radar array. They wouldn't let us look for it there but he said he had seen it. Cool Tradition! Mikey<><

Looks like placing a coin on the ship for good luck is a tradition of shipbuilders. Also looks like that Carnival "exposes" these coins where they can be found, and NCL doesn't.

We're all talking about coins. :)

Actually, it is a tradition of all boat owners too (that know about it). I have a penny in the keel of mine!

coka

Archived