New Year's Eve in New Orleans

ShannonE

Hey everyone!! We are sailing on the Conquest on January 1st, so we will be staying in New Orleans on New Year's Eve. I am vaguely familiar with where points of interest are, but I am trying to decide where we should stay based on the date we will be there.

If we get a hotel away from the action, are there decent parking lots for us to use if we go to the French Quarter in the evening?

Also, it is my understanding that the street cars run 24 hours a day, so if we stayed in a hotel on the line, we could access the French Quarter that way...is that right?

I am not sure how wild of an evening we will want to have since we will want to function properly the next day, so I am mostly looking for information about getting around New Orleans, given that it will be a big holiday. Also, what can you tell me generally about New Year's in New Orleans?

Thank you for any help you can provide!!:)

Hi Shannon. Our family is also cruising the Conquest on 1/1/06. We were also planning to arrive on 12/31, but found out that alot of the hotels require a 2-3 night stay because of the holiday. They also seem to be booking up rather fast. We initially wanted to get a hotel near the pier so we could just walk to the pier but the only place that had rooms was the Hampton Inn - Convention Center. We found out that it was only a short distance if you could fly over the convention center. We also found out that bus/trolley service to the area was not provided in the evening and didn't want to walk or take a cab from the FQ at night. We then choose the Hampton Inn downtown which is located close to the FQ (2 Blocks) and thought this would be safe to walk at night, expecially since we will be a group of 5 adults. It also provides a free morning breakfast buffet. On Sunday we will just take a cab to the pier ($7/person).

As far as I can tell, street cars do not run 24 hrs/day. There is no parking in the FQ except by the river so you will need to walk, take a street car or cab. Probabily better to book a room in the FQ or within walking distance.

Not sure yet what's going on NYE but it looks like fireworks at the riverfront.

Thank you for your response. I have noticed that the hotels are filling up fast too, and I see that the Hampton Inn Downtown is booked already (at least on their website--maybe I can call them). I better make a decision fast!!

January 1st can't get here fast enough can it??

Thank you for your response. I have noticed that the hotels are filling up fast too, and I see that the Hampton Inn Downtown is booked already (at least on their website--maybe I can call them). I better make a decision fast!!

January 1st can't get here fast enough can it??

If you book 3 days (12/29 to 1/1) on the web site you will see rooms available. Call and maybe you can book for less days. We booked a room 12/30 to 1/1 for my son 2 months ago.

Can wait to Jan 1st.:D

My wife and I spend every New Year's Eve in the French Quarter. Bourbon Street, of course, is packed and rowdy, so we avoid that. There are local bands playing in Jackson Square, and there is a ball drop at midnight at the Jax Brewery, across from Jackson Square.

Jackson Square fronts on Decatur Street, which is blocked off from traffic and is pretty much a big block party. We make our headquarters at Tujague's, a bar at 823 Decatur. Fairly cheap drinks, and you can use the bathrooms. From there, we wander up and down the street. It is a pretty good spot from which to watch the fireworks.

Restaurants in the Quarter are packed, so try to decide where you want to go and make a reservation.

The weather here in late December is pretty unpredictable. The last few have been in the upper 60's, but last year the fog rolled in at about 10:00, and by midnight it was so thick that the fireworks were cancelled.

Parking in the FQ is just about impossible, but even the hotels in the warehouse district (the ones near the cruise terminal) are within fairly easy walking distance. Convention Center Boulevard is well-lighted and has lots of traffic, and is safe. We often walk around there at night and have never had any problems. The St. Charles street car does run all night, but after midnight they are few and far between.

We (DH and 9 DD) will be experiencing NO over new years after our cruise. Currently I have the Hilton Riverside booked (pricy, but the location seems good). I that a correct assumption? I thought with the trolley stop right outside we would be able to utilize that to go to the FQ or where ever we need to go. I have heard that walking at night should not be done.. is that true even on the riverwalk area? Would the Hampton Downtown be better, We really wanted the Marriott but they were booked. We will be there from 12/29 through 1/1. For fireworks on new years, would staying at the Hilton be better for viewing purposes, or do I need to go up river more?

Another question, we are flexible on leaving either on the 1st or 2nd. If our flight leaves on the 1st will we be able to get out of the area with the game and all?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

There are two sections of the Hilton: The Towers (the high-rise part) and the Riverside. The Riverside is only about five stories high, and unless your room faces north, you probably won't be able to see the fireworks from there. If that's the case, you can go to Spanish Plaza adjacent to the hotel and watch from there. If it's really cold, you can see them from parts of the Riverwalk Mall. That connects to the Hilton Riverside by a stairway.

The Hilton is a very convenient location, and a nice hotel. You can ride the streetcar, but the French Quarter is an easy walk. The area along the river is called the Moonwalk. My wife and I bum around the French Quarter just about every weekend, and have never had any problems. There will be lots of people around town that weekend, and lots of police. Some of the local "characters" hang around the far end of the Moonwalk. They have never bothered us, but might make you feel uncomfortable. There is security and surveillance cameras.

I don't think it's going to make much difference whether you leave on the 1st or the 2nd. Everyone will be coming into town rather than leaving.

As zydeco said, the Wyndham is a great vantage point, but that is usually booked for New Year's Eve. The hotel lobby is on the sixth floor of the hotel, and is also a good place to watch the fireworks.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We were at the foot of Jackson Square NYE next to JAX and it was so foggy you couldn't see the Pot/Baby or the fireworks.:( We had a great time though ! The crowds were close to any other year in size and we did notice a large number were locals. It's good to see the city getting back to "normal".

A few pics here... http://community.webshots.com/user/selucreydan3

Actually I was thinking of you and the difficulting some seem to have in pronouncing your name. :D

Ahhh... I understand now.;) ( Sell-you-kray) Judging from the pics, you had to have walked past us a couple of times on Decatur or Bourbon.

Arlo was one of the reasons I wanted to go./quote]

We visited a friend of a friend at the Monteleone prior to going to the Square. We were talking in the lounge when this long-haired old guy walked past. Our friend said that the guy was Arlo Guthrie. Later at the Square we found that it was indeed him. The old guys in our group were the only ones who remembered him. The young ones didn't have a clue 'tll we mentioned Woodstock.:D

Archived