Photo review DIY-travels on the island of Malta

Hi y'all,

We visited the port of Valletta in September of 2014 while cruising on the Celebrity Constellation. We were in port from 2pm until 10pm.

The following is a picture heavy report about our visit to the cities of Birgu, Isla and Bormla. They are located across the Grand Harbour from Valletta. I hope it will help fellow cruisers with their planning.

The entry to the port of Valletta is spectacular and scenic

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1170.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

Celebrity invited us and 500 of our best friends up to the helipad for an upclose experience with a glass of champagne. Even though it was very windy, since the ship was still moving, the vistas were fantastic.

IMG_1173.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

Lift to Upper Barrakka Gardens

DSC_0183.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

Since we visited Valletta, the Blue Grotto and Mdina on a previous visit to Malta, we decided to focus on the 3 cities on the opposite side of the harbor called Birgu, Isla and Bormla.

I found a brand new company called Rolling Geeks who offered a narrated self driving adventure in small electric cars (golf carts) through the above mentioned area. Rolling Geeks also suggested a private pick up from the pier area in a traditional Maltese boat including a 45 min harbor cruise. This sounded wonderful to us and we were very excited about our adventure.

DSC_0230.JPG

We met our friendly Captain very close to the pier area....

DSC_0194.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

And started the harbor cruise

DSC_0214.JPG

Here are some impressions

DSC_0232.JPG

...filled out paperwork and got a crash course on how to operate an electric car, as well as using a GPS system.

IMG_1335.JPG

DSC_0267.JPG

Rolling Geeks also had several green arrow signs on the course to make confusing traffic situations easier.

DSC_0240.JPG

We followed the course, listened to the narration while stopping lots of times for photography.

IMG_1182.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

The narrow alleys with their often very colorful and ornate balconies as well as the waterfront areas are extremely interesting and scenic. It took us almost 4 hours to finish the 2.5 hour course just because we stopped very frequently to satisfy my photographic itch.

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

My family is patiently waiting for me to get back into the cart

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

We returned the electric cars to Rolling Geeks' offices, where our boat was already waiting for the transfer back to the Constellation.

DSC_0310.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

The pier area was busy at this time of the evening. The bars and restaurants were serving hungry customers

IMG_1194.JPG

DSC_0335.JPG

We walked around the area for a while and discovered this memorial for child migrants right next to our ship

DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0347.JPG

We were on deck for sail away on this beautiful evening and I was able to capture a few nightshots of Valletta.

IMG_1340.JPG

We had another fantastic day in Malta and can highly recommend Rolling Geeks!

SSISLANDGIRL or LATRAVELLAR, I enjoyed SSISLANDGIRL's terrific report. I too am interested in Rolling Geeks. But I can not find an email address for them as I have a few questions before booking. Do either of you have an address? Thank you in advance, Pam

SSISLANDGIRL or LATRAVELLAR, I enjoyed SSISLANDGIRL's terrific report. I too am interested in Rolling Geeks. But I can not find an email address for them as I have a few questions before booking. Do either of you have an address? Thank you in advance, Pam

Hi Pam,

Here is their website,etc with all the contact info

http://www.rolling-geeks.com

Have a wonderful day in Malta!

Regards

Petra