SIM cards

iMedic

Does anyone have any experience getting prepaid SIM cards while on the island? From my research it appears cell one is my best option in terms of pricing and support for iPhones.

We're mostly just looking for reliable data. Last summer when we were on the island we bought one of the wifi packages only to discover we didn't seem to find many of the hotspots.

Who's your cell phone provider? If you have T-Mobile, you'll get free data on the island; it's throttled, but it's good enough for a couple days.

Alas none of the Canadian providers are that generous. If I were to go through bell I'd be paying $85 for 300 gigs, which is actually more than my monthly bill that gives me 6gigs.

Gotta love scam known as roaming...

• 3 weeks later...

A short conclusion:

I ended up getting a CellOne sim from their store right by the main bus terminal in Hamilton. Whole process took maybe 10 minutes and cost 55USD (thanks to the exchange rate that it was around $70 Canadian). Was able to take advantage of now expired deal where I got 1.5 gigs for $45, plus 10 for the sim card.

Worked well, had reasonably fast data throughout the island, unfortunately no LTE but still more than workable. Plus coverage just about everywhere. Truth be told can't think of a single dead location (other than the Crystal Caves of course).