POA Review: Relaxing 7/18 - 7/25/15 Cruise

newcruise12

DB and I (pre-Seniors) booked this as a discounted, last-minute cruise. We've enjoyed seeing the major sights on the neighbor islands before and decided to try a relaxing, low-key cruise without booking any shore excursions this time.

Just to save you time: if you're looking for information about the specialty dining, pool, bars, or kids' stuff, there's none of that in this review. But I will talk about the cabin, buffet, free shuttles in port, showroom, getting around the ship, the Hawaiian Ambassador, television programs, and beautiful, hot Hawaii in general.

EMBARKATION AND DAY ONE -

Our embarkation at 1:30pm was quick and easy. We figured that an afternoon arrival would help us avoid long lines. And yay, the line was short. We dropped off our luggage, filled out the health forms, and got lei'd with a pretty orchid lei for me and a shell lei for DB. They even give ladies an orchid to put in your hair (left side if you're "taken"; right side, available), but unfortunately those hair flowers get lost pretty quickly. The Aloha Spirit from the employees we encountered made us feel welcome. There was no line at Latitudes check-in, so that was a breeze! We're ready for that initial washy-washy now!! Sing along with me, NCL'ers: "Letttttttttttt's go!!!"

We grabbed a late buffet lunch at around 2:00 in the Aloha Cafe on Deck 11. There didn't seem to be a lot of food left, but that's the tradeoff for not having to wait in long checkin lines, I think. It was a little tough to find a table, but we managed. Everyone was waiting for their cabins to be ready.

After eating and sending a few emails, I was anxious to explore. Since the cabins on our deck were not ready yet, we just walked out to the Aft behind the Aloha Cafe to check out the view. There is much construction going on in Honolulu. That's good for the city. I do wonder how those construction workers can withstand the hot temperatures in the blazing sun, though! It was still oppressively hot and humid that afternoon, but hey, we're going on a cruise! There was even a full rainbow there to see us off ("It's a sign!").

Our balcony cabin, on the port side of Deck 8 near the Aft elevators/stairs, was finally ready a little after 3:00pm. After we found the port side, we were surprised to see that the hallway from Forward to Aft is not one straight line of sight. You know how you can usually look up or down the hall, and the hallway seems to go on forever?? Here, there was a slight outward "jog" in the hallway near the elevators. Sorry, it's a little hard for me to explain on paper; hopefully you get the idea.

Tip: The color of the carpeting in the elevator area can help you easily determine where you are. The carpet at both the Forward and Aft elevators is red, with stars. The carpet at Midship is brown. There are other indications too. The display on the screen in the elevator indicates whether you're Forward, Mid, or Aft too, I recall.

Our cabin was rather narrow. Funny, it got even narrower by the end of the cruise... it must have been due to those last few desserts! The shower stall was a little small; I'd imagine some folks find it to be too narrow. At first, dear BF thought I was exaggerating when I laughed that I could use the toilet, and then didn't even need to stand up to wash my hands! It was all within reach! Comfy! But true.

DB was really glad to see our luggage arrive. I can't remember how long it took, but it wasn't too long. So in a flash, he changed into shorts and T shirt. Ahh, now we have a happy, comfortable guy ready for the Lifeboat Drill.

After that was out of the way, later we had an early dinner at the Aloha Cafe to give ourselves ample time to finish eating before sailaway. We went out on the upper deck for sailaway to enjoy the views of Honolulu and Waikiki. Ahhh, it doesn't get better than that!

We enjoyed the Welcome Aboard Show at 8:00pm. The showroom has only one level. The seating at the shows we saw during the week (first performance of the evening, normally 7:00pm) was emptier than we normally see, so we didn't have to show up too early. But the way the theater seats are configured, your view might be obstructed if someone is in the seat in front of you.

Hollywood Theater tips: For those who have a tendency towards feeling too cold, take a jacket along (you'll thank me). We wondered why they would make it so freakishly cold there when the outside weather was so incredibly hot/humid, since that seemed like a good formula for making people ill; but someone told me that common areas are kept cold because warmth encourages bacteria to grow. Well, they're doing a darn fine job in making sure it won't grow in the theater, I'll tell ya! Also, try entering through the door on the left -- er, port -- side. YMMV, but we found that more people were using the starboard door, so that side filled up more.

KAHULUI, MAUI - Sunday

We had a Dollar rental car reserved for 10:00am on Sunday, our first Maui day. The major rental companies run shuttles to/from the pier for customers who have advance reservations; it's a short ride to their facilities near the airport. At the dock after we got off the ship, there are numbered areas for you to wait for the appropriate shuttle - we just had to ask which number was the area for Dollar/Thrifty. Oh, good! Not too many people waiting. But it took a while for the shuttle to arrive. Argggghh, at the busy rental car office, there was a long, slow line. But the wait gave us an opportunity to chat with a nice family from Pennsylvania. I think the whole process from dock to car took 45-60 minutes, YMMV, but you may want to factor this time into your planning.

We drove to Lahaina and walked around the little shops in the banyan tree vicinity. Still hot weather! What a good excuse for ice cream from Banyan Treats! Not that we ever really need an excuse.

For years, there was a man sitting on the sidewalk carving tiki's at the Wharf Cinema Shopping Center; it looks like they've relocated across the street. A small craft fair was being held under the huge banyan tree. Too bad that the "Maui's Own" craft fair up the road at the community center was not open this weekend. I've bought nice handmade souvenirs there in the past and was looking forward to doing so again. We did buy gifts for relatives in a couple of Lahaina shops. We returned the car in Kahului that afternoon since we didn't really need it the next day. And as you might already know, the secured parking lot next to the ship is very small.

We enjoyed the Aloha Polynesia show featuring the dances of Tahiti, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga and Hawaii.

MAUI - Monday

Honolulu radio station KSSK's morning team - Perry and Price - broadcasted their morning show live from the Mardi Gras room on Monday through Thursday. They said that 217 of their listeners were along for the cruise in 80 cabins. We enjoyed meeting this duo that we've heard on the radio for so many years. My man even got interviewed! Perry and Price talked to CD Malu, Capt. Kjell Nesheim, and also to HD Kaj Turunen while we were there. We heard later that Perry and Price are planning to broadcast from the Gem in early October 2016.

On our second Maui day, we opted to do an easy morning of shopping in Kahului. Since there were a number of people in line ahead of us for the free shuttle to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center, we walked it. There are two other shopping centers along the way. The first one is Maui Mall, which has a Whole Foods Market (natural and organic foods). The second is Kahului Shopping Center. Queen K is the largest shopping center in Maui. We did ride the free shuttle to return to the ship.

We went to China's kukui nut lei class. It took her a few minutes to get set up. Meanwhile, no matter how many times she asked for people not to open the plastic bag containing the nuts yet, some people did. The man sitting in front of us even strung all the nuts on the ribbon and tied it. Surprise, dude! That's not how you do it. :eek: You should have waited. He ended up leaving early.

Speaking of leaving early, we had to hele on (hurry) to the Latitudes cocktail party. No, we're not really drinkers, but they do a raffle there, too. On a previous cruise, we won a free laundry bag; no, not an actual bag, but they cleaned a bagful for free. And yay, we won a prize! I thought long and hard about whether to mention the Latitudes party because the more people who attend, the worse chances of a prize for me in the future, but since Notion of the Ocean has already posted about the free-flowing alcohol - and since we're here to share good ideas - it seemed only right to let you know that they have appetizers and prizes. :p

This was our most memorable day of the trip. :D:D

Thanks for doing a write up! We had such a great time in Hawaii and on-board the POA, I just love reading of other people's adventures.:)

Thanks. I just checked out your great review. I'd never have known it was your first! Beautiful photos, too. I feel the same way about being disappointed with the development in Lahaina compared to 20 years ago. I feel that way about Kona, too - I seem to remember when there was only one traffic signal. But then again, that could just be my memory (or lack of same!). :D

After you disembark, do you find yourself measuring time in terms of your cruise?

I'm still in that phase. Later on disembarkation day, I said, "Oh, it's almost time for the next cruisers to leave Honolulu." We even heard the ship's horn in the distance as it was leaving. Of course, I had to turn towards the harbor and wave goodbye, even though we were miles away and couldn't actually see the ship! :p Then each day, you recall what port you were in on that day of the week: "We were on Maui last Sunday....":D "The ship is in Hilo today...." :D "Wow, the cruise after ours has disembarked and the crew is getting ready for another eager group already...."

Thanks. I just checked out your great review. I'd never have known it was your first! Beautiful photos, too. I feel the same way about being disappointed with the development in Lahaina compared to 20 years ago. I feel that way about Kona, too - I seem to remember when there was only one traffic signal. But then again, that could just be my memory (or lack of same!). :D
Aw, thanks for the compliment. :)

After you disembark, do you find yourself measuring time in terms of your cruise?

I'm still in that phase. Later on disembarkation day, I said, "Oh, it's almost time for the next cruisers to leave Honolulu." We even heard the ship's horn in the distance as it was leaving. Of course, I had to turn towards the harbor and wave goodbye, even though we were miles away and couldn't actually see the ship! :p Then each day, you recall what port you were in on that day of the week: "We were on Maui last Sunday....":D "The ship is in Hilo today...." :D "Wow, the cruise after ours has disembarked and the crew is getting ready for another eager group already...."

I did that! lol I still do every once in a while.:o

MAUI - Monday

Honolulu radio station KSSK's morning team - Perry and Price - broadcasted their morning show live from the Mardi Gras room on Monday through Thursday. They said that 217 of their listeners were along for the cruise in 80 cabins. We enjoyed meeting this duo that we've heard on the radio for so many years. My man even got interviewed! Perry and Price talked to CD Malu, Capt. Kjell Nesheim, and also to HD Kaj Turunen while we were there. We heard later that Perry and Price are planning to broadcast from the Gem in early October 2016.

On our second Maui day, we opted to do an easy morning of shopping in Kahului. Since there were a number of people in line ahead of us for the free shuttle to Queen Ka'ahumanu Center, we walked it. There are two other shopping centers along the way. The first one is Maui Mall, which has a Whole Foods Market (natural and organic foods). The second is Kahului Shopping Center. Queen K is the largest shopping center in Maui. We did ride the free shuttle to return to the ship.

We went to China's kukui nut lei class. It took her a few minutes to get set up. Meanwhile, no matter how many times she asked for people not to open the plastic bag containing the nuts yet, some people did. The man sitting in front of us even strung all the nuts on the ribbon and tied it. Surprise, dude! That's not how you do it. :eek: You should have waited. He ended up leaving early.

Speaking of leaving early, we had to hele on (hurry) to the Latitudes cocktail party. No, we're not really drinkers, but they do a raffle there, too. On a previous cruise, we won a free laundry bag; no, not an actual bag, but they cleaned a bagful for free. And yay, we won a prize! I thought long and hard about whether to mention the Latitudes party because the more people who attend, the worse chances of a prize for me in the future, but since Notion of the Ocean has already posted about the free-flowing alcohol - and since we're here to share good ideas - it seemed only right to let you know that they have appetizers and prizes. :p

This was our most memorable day of the trip. :D:D

Is it silly that I'm excited about the lei class? ;)

Is it silly that I'm excited about the lei class? ;)

Heehee, that's cute. Let me tell you, that's not the only lei class! There's also a Lauhala Ribbon Weave Lei Class on Wednesday, Day 5.

But wait, there's more! I wasn't able to attend, but there's also a Fresh Flower Lei Class on Tuesday, Day 4. They do warn that "late arrivals may not be accommodated". On Wednesday, there was also time set aside called Lei-Making Kits for Purchase.

The class that I was sad to have missed was the Sarong Tying Class (Thursday, Day 6). China teaches the ladies how to tie their sarongs in many different styles. I think it's BYOS - bring your own sarong. But you can probably attend without already having one.

Of course, since you'll be on your honeymoon, you might not have time for all of these... ;) Have a great trip!

Heehee, that's cute. Let me tell you, that's not the only lei class! There's also a Lauhala Ribbon Weave Lei Class on Wednesday, Day 5.

But wait, there's more! I wasn't able to attend, but there's also a Fresh Flower Lei Class on Tuesday, Day 4. They do warn that "late arrivals may not be accommodated". On Wednesday, there was also time set aside called Lei-Making Kits for Purchase.

The class that I was sad to have missed was the Sarong Tying Class (Thursday, Day 6). China teaches the ladies how to tie their sarongs in many different styles. I think it's BYOS - bring your own sarong. But you can probably attend without already having one.

Of course, since you'll be on your honeymoon, you might not have time for all of these... ;) Have a great trip!

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'll probably try to make it to at least one of these classes...if I can convince the husband to come :D

I need to cut my review short, so I'll just cover some things I had already drafted...

Before arrival in Hilo, we attended the short Port Talk given by China, the ship's Hawaiian Ambassador. She told us that there would be ladies at the dock to assist passengers. China also told us about free van service to the farmer's market available in the early portion of the morning. She also mentioned a hop-on, hop-off bus available outside the dock gate. And another option was a Walmart shuttle to Kuhio Mall. Of course, taxis are available right off the ship, too. I like that her port talks were not those listings of where to find jewelry stores. :D

After going ashore, we had only a couple of minutes to ask questions before catching the free shuttle to the farmers market. But we did receive a paper showing downtown Hilo stores and city bus schedule. At the farmers market DB bought a vegetable knife from the personable young salesman. The day we were there, he had a cucumber whale on display. Meanwhile, I shopped at a booth that sold various topical oils. I bought some "bone oil" that is supposed to help relieve arthritis pains; hopefully it works.

Later we ended up outside the Pacific Tsunami Museum, we went in to take a look. Admission is $8; $7 for seniors and kama'aina; children age 6-17 are $4. They show a 20-minute film about the huge tsunami that hit Hilo in 1946. There are also a lot of old photos/stories on the walls, and information about how to survive a tsunami.

When we were ready to return, we just had to find the bus terminal. No problem, it's across the street from the farmers market. Fare is $2, or $1 for seniors and students. The route seemed rather circuitous, but you get a look at residential neighborhoods, too. If we'd been returning earlier, we could have caught the farmers market shuttle back.

KAUAI... free shopping shuttles included:

- Anchor Cove shops (close to the ship; includes Del Sol, Maui Divers, and ABC Store; Kalapaki Beach is accessible from here)

- KMart (Kukui Grove Shopping Center is right next door)

- Walmart

We noticed (less frequent) shuttles from Hilo Hatties, Kukui Grove, and Coconut Marketplace.

OVERALL

Service - We had fairly low expectations, but we encountered some helpful and welcoming staff and crew members. I was pleasantly surprised on Day 1 by all of the friendly "aloha" greetings and the offers of help in finding our way. Of course, we encountered a few examples of poor service as well, but that's the way it goes.:( I did not know beforehand that POA's crew is not comprised entirely of Americans. We were told that 75% were Americans.

Wi-fi - Since POA's itinerary includes so much time in port, it was great to be able to use our devices' cellular signals instead of needing the usual wi-fi package. :D

Washy-washy, happy-happy - Kudos to Anthony, who is a terrific, friendly greeter and sprayer. :D I wish they still used the happy, smiling washy-washy people more often at buffet entrances on NCL ships. A couple of times when no one was assigned at Aloha Cafe to spray hands, we found the hand sanitizer next to the Aft elevator to be empty. :eek:

This year Hawaii has had a lot of hot, humid days. But Hawaii has some beautiful scenery, wonderful outdoor activities, and an interesting cultural history. The Hawaiian residents (kama'aina) and their warm spirit of aloha make a visit to the islands a memorable experience. I hope you get to see it..... :cool:

Enjoyed your review! What is a latitudes party? First time NCL.

Latitudes is NCL's loyalty rewards (frequent cruiser) program. But unfortunately for you on this trip, they don't invite you to the party until the second cruise. :(

From NCL's website:

"You will earn one point per cruise night and an additional point per night if you book in a Suite* or in The Haven, book nine months or more in advance, or if you book with a Latitudes Insider offer. Rewards points are not applied for Cruisetour nights or hotel stay nights.

*For full fare Suites booked at the time the reservation was originally made. Does not include mini-suites."

They don't credit you with points until you disembark the cruise, though.

Do you have some fun excursions planned?

Enjoyed your review! What is a latitudes party? First time NCL.

Oops, I got distracted and didn't notice that part of my reply didn't post -

I wanted to let you know that I'm excited for you!!!! Only days to go!

Have a great cruise!!!!