Legend of the Seas Review 1-07-06

avanti

I have read all the reviews of LOS and figured out that all those great reviews must be from people who were not seasoned cruisers or who have not been on better ships before.

It has been 4 years since I was on RCCL

We saw some differences since then.

The quality of service was not what we were used to. Housekeeping has alot to work on. The first night they did not even make up our room. We had to ask for towels a couple of times.

The diningroom was also short of help. Had to ask for bar waiter many times, extra rolls , etc.. With late dinner it took way too long! Food was fair. Lobster night was Thurs the second formal night.That was good, but a bad night for a formal. Many people were drunk from Carlos and Charlies and did not even make it to dinner.

The Ports of Call were ok

In Belize I recommend Cave-tubing.com They were great. We had my dad with us and he is 78 and could not barely do the 30 minute walk thru the rain forest. They took good care of him.Not recommeded for old or too young. Walk was thru muddy hills. No where did I read it was challenging to walk before tubing.

Nothing there in town.

Cozumel is back to work. Still damage, but ok Paradise beach was nice for a couple hours. Cost us $17 for taxi with 5 people each way.

Cayman taxis are $4 each person to beach. Be careful- they take you to Beach Colony at 7 mile beach. and charge a$ 10 admission charge for NOTHING We did not do that We got there and argueed so they said to walk to beach thru the Hyatt. Couldn't use chairs, but had a free beach. Heard other people found better beaches.

Costa Maya-

Get ready to be harrassed by everyone! Pier is all stores that you have to bargain with. The town of Majahal is the same! All people selling the same stuff!

Getting on the ship was easy-on by 11:30 am

Off took longer but was smooth.

Pool is nice but chairs are always crowded. It was rough seas a couple days and a lot of people were sick. Going was cold on sea day and coming home was the same. Minature golf is in need of repair, climbing wall always busy. Never got on that. Not always open. no basketball like it says on website. My son was disapointed.

Thats about it-feel free to ask questions.

Linda

Well this is your opinion. I respect that. But I to consider myself a seasoned cruiser. (10 cruises and one more booked in April 06 ) I was on LOS 12/3/05. Other then seeing the Links mini golf needed redone. She is a beautiful ship. I was hesitant on sailing her due to her age, but found her to be wonderful. I would sail her again. It is not RCL fault on how the seadays are (cold or rough seas) we had a wonderful week but I understand the folllowing week was not as lucky as we were. It just happens. It is not RCl fault is people enjoy to much spirit at Carlos and Charlies. It just happens.

Some people are harder to please then others I guess.

We Sailed on the Legend of the seas this past summer for 14 days to the Mediterranean. We enjoyed our cruise immensely and thought the ship was lovely.....and I do know ships and have traveled to over 50 countries in my life. Of course, things do happen. As far as your points..there are newer and bigger ships... with many extras that probably would have suited your family better. I do not know where you read about the basketball..it has never been in any details I have regarding the Legend of the Seas. I do appreciate how disappointed your son must have been... However,there was a very good childrens and teens program, which seems to be as popular in the states as the UK according to recent reviews. There is the rock climbing wall and the mini golf..even if a bit worn it can still be fun. It is not the cruise lines fault.. They had entirely refurbished this area in April, but it does take a battering from the public and the weather. They also added the latte tudes and Ben and Jerry's, as well as update the Windjammer Cafe...new carpeting and soft furnishings..new mattresses and chairs in dining room etc.etc. It looked fantastic in August....no wear and tear at all.

As far as delays in meals..that can happen at any time in any place, land or sea, and is no big deal to me. Sit back and enjoy the elegant dining room and it's surroundings..these are special moments. As long as the staff are trying to assist, and doing their best, that is what matters. We had late seating and seemed to finish our meals all too quickly at our table. Seldom seeing all that was available on the menu. Our table mates were always in a hurry. In our cabin service was great... We never had to ask for towels or anything else..beds always turned down with chocolates on pillows...towel animals...and very clean throughout. we were only an Ocean view cabin on deck 3. The bathroom was always re stocked and all service onboard was excellent. The staff and crew extremely friendly and helpful and the ship spotless.

As for the weather? Well, surprisingly, it was the only set back in our cruise. Mid summer, August, sailing to the med. You'd think it would be perfect...wrong! We had choppy to rough seas the entire cruise...always whitecaps....strong winds up to force 8 gails..70% of the ship missing and ill during that time period. The outside decks closed off several times due to the winds. The trip a few weeks later had several mishpaps, as well as, even worse weather conditions for part of the cruise. They had to divert course due to a heart attack onboard..then delayed as they assisted refugees in a liferaft at sea that they nearly ran down. This caused them to miss a port..then the rough weather that was very severe.. and finally, a small fire in the spa area. Despite all of this misadventure, the couple onboard in correspondence with me loved their cruise and are returning on the Legend.

I second that motion...the days were brilliant in port regarding the weather..the itinery fantastic... and the cost...excellent value. The cheapest 14 day cruise to the Med around (only 7 days for the same money on the mega ships) and one of the most elegant ships, imo, with all the windows of glass making it so light and bright with wonderful sea views. the 7 tier atrium was beautiful. The wind and choppy seas never had any effect at all. we also had 2 quite cold days coming and going from the UK in the height of summer...and the sun is so important to us.. as England gets so little. But Being at sea on a cruise ship is amazing in any weather! We loved every minute....and We are re booked for August this year on a varied itinery and just hope financial circumstances will allow us the priviledge to sail again. Carol

Hi All,

I was also on board the same time as Linda. Here is my review, I hope I have it all straight....just go home this afternoon.....

Embark: Very easy, fast, & on board by 11:30am! In the hot tub by 11:45! The weather was cool, 55 degrees but sunny. Perfect for the Hot Tub! Our room was done by 1:00pm.

Day 2-Sea day. My girls 4 & 5 went to Ocean Adventure. They had a great time. I walked the track & enjoyed the quiet lower rear deck. It was sunny & there were deck chairs to lay in back there. Just below the Rock climbing wall so you could watch. Formal night-Captain party-just a tip-go directly to the bar & order! You get to pick your drink & get it much faster. We had Roy & Raj as our waitstaff in the dinning room & they were outstanding! Food was good. We had very fast service. Dinner started at 6pm & we were done by 7:30-7:45pm. They were so nice to my girls & even brought Ice Cream twice a night for each of them! Super spoiled all week!

Day 3-Grand Cayman

Tender Service was a little slower then what were have been used too. Tender tickets available at 9am. First come, First off. So we got there late & had tender ticket 15. After the tours (1-4) were finally off it went much faster. It was our fault though-should have been there eariler. Went to 7 mile beach (Sea Grape). Taxi's try to get you to get off at the beach club/royal palms. He said "oh, you sure you want to go to sea grape, there is construction going on in the afternoon & it will take you longer to get back. I said "how long". Then changed his story & said "traffic". Ok there wasn't any traffic or construction when we returned. I think they are paid to suggest you going to the Royal Palms or Beach Coloney. It was $5.00 pp on the way to Sea Grape & our return trip was $4.00pp. Sea Grape was great. They have very good food at the bar. you can split a meal-big portions. Expensive anywhere in GC to eat. 2 meals (burger & chick. tenders) and 1 drink was about 35.00. It was good though! Return tender went very fast.

Day 4-Costa Maya

The weather was a little rainy. We usually go into Mahaula (fishing Village) but since we didn't know if it was going to keep raining, we stayed at the cruise port. Girls played in the pool. Sun came out. Warmed up nicely. Had a great Rainbow Maragrita from one of the bars. Loaded with liquor. $10.00 for yard. Well worth it! My in laws went into the fishing village-rented a golf cart for a couple of hours for $30.00. They loved it. As for pushy vendors. Yep, but they want to earn money. So you just have to keep walking by & saying no thank you.

Day 5-Belize

Wonderful day! You MUST book a tour. You shouldn't leave the tourist village area. Very scarey from what I saw. We booked an independent snokel beach break with Coral Breeze Limited. It was awesome. About 20 of us total. Went to the Mantee Reserve, Bannister Island-Great private island. We were only a few of us there after all the Cruiseship tours left. Lunch included. Snorkeling was awesome from what my DH told me. Well worth the $$. You have to do a tour to really appreciate the outer islands of Belize.

Day 6-Cozumel

Great! I thought I'd see major damage from Wilma but it's truely amazing at how the people of Cozumel have rebuilt already! Went to Paradise Beach. Awesome as usual. Get there early though-very busy in the afternoon. Great drinks & wonderful beach. Tendering wasn't an issue since you didn't have to have tender tickets.

Day 7-Sea Day

What a beautiful morning! It clouded over in the afternoon with a few sprinkles. My girls swam in the pool & hot tub all day. It was a relaxing day & I had a sweatshirt & pants on, so I was comfortable. The last 4 cruises we

ve been on, we've had cloudy cool last sea days. Can't control the weather, you just make the best of it.

Disembark:

Last ones off the ship at 10:15am. No hurry for us though, we spent the night at the Marriott Westshore. You can request early luggage tags at the Guest Relations desk if you have a early departure flight. My in laws did that & were off by 8:30 am. Also very easy to find our luggage this time since we were the last off! :)

A couple of more things:

The 2 production shows-we didn't go to because we had already seen them on the Grandeur last Feb. Soul Mystique was great! They performed two nights. Hal (singer) was good. We think we saw him before two. When your a seasoned cruiser-you bound to see some of the same shows. Only one night with late night adult comedy. Wish there would have been more. Too much karoke 3 nights plus a Rockin Roll Karoke with the band ITS. A little much I thought. Just my opion. Some others probably like it more then I do! Love & Marriage & the quest are always a favorite of mine! Our cabin steward was a little lax this time. Many days he didn't vaccuum but we didn't care one bit. We even told him he didn't have to clean one day! Clean towels is all we needed!

I'm going to upload some photos soon. I'll post when I can!

Wish I were cruising now........

Back to reality.........

Sue

HI,

Well, we had a quad room-2519. I must say that this was very loud room. I'm not sure what was below us but it sounded like laundry cards rolling all night long. There was a vent under the bathroom door so I think this may be way it was loud. You could also her girls high heel shoes walking on the cement floor-crew quarters I guess. You couldn't hear anyone on either side of you so that was nice. I'm not complaining because I slept just fine.

Sue

We are leaving this saturday on Legend and I'm curious to get my own thoughts after reading the variety of reviews as of late.

I just enjoy being on vacation, so I'm really looking forward to cruising legend.

I'll be posting my review upon my return at the end of the month.

Special hello to Cruiser_Carol - hope all is well in the UK:)

Just to clarify-

The cruise itself was not bad. I know weather is out of our control. We did enjoy all the activities and there are plenty of them. The housekeeping knew they were bad because they gave us a half dozen roses and a bottle of champagne to apologize! Also the floor smelled like a backed up sewer- Sue, Did you smell that?

The tender service in Cayman is very slow. Be upstairs before 9 am to get an early ticket. We were on floor 2 and that is where everyone lines up for the tenders. You could not even get to your cabin those mornings! We went up at 9 to get a ticket and they said come back at 9:30, by that time we were tender #16 and it took another hour before we could get off the ship.

In Belize we got tickets that said Priority Tendering which meant nothing. We had a trip planned off the ship and they take their own excursions first. We had to wait for the second tender and it is a 20 minute tender ride there. We were worried we would miss our tour.

Cozumel tendering was not too bad. You just wait so long to get on and off the boats! They use the local ones and they fit alot of people.

So, don't misunderstand me. I just wanted to point out the good and the bad since people rely on this board to plan their trips!

Linda

I've just posted a lengthy review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=281285

I thought the cruise was good, but not great. The ship itself was very nice, but there were some minor service issues and food quality has slipped some on RCI. Don't get me wrong; it's still good, just not as good as it once was. I'd cruise the Legend again, though, if I were to do Europe next year without hesitation.

We were on Legend Jan.7 as well. Our kids absolutely loved Adventure Ocean. The staff there is amazing. We have cruised twice before (with Celebrity) and found that Royal Caribbean was great. Our suite attendant, Anna, was fabulous. We were in the Royal Family suite and were worried about the sofa bed. She brought in an extra foamy and checked with us daily as to how everything was. Our waiter Romeo, and assistant waiter, Prabhu, were fantastic, very attentive and wonderful with our kids. We couldn't go to as many adult shows as we would have liked, but we really enjoyed the shows we did see, although the production shows weren't quite as good as on Celebrity (not sure why, and they weren't bad). If anyone wants to know about the kid's program or pics of Royal family suite (I had a hard time finding them online before we left), I'm happy to help! :p All in all, we had a great time and would sail Legend again.

Just to clarify-

The cruise itself was not bad. I know weather is out of our control. We did enjoy all the activities and there are plenty of them. The housekeeping knew they were bad because they gave us a half dozen roses and a bottle of champagne to apologize! Also the floor smelled like a backed up sewer- Sue, Did you smell that?

TLinda

Hi Linda,

The only time we could smell the sewer smell was when we left our cabin & walked towards the elevators (on the corner of the last cabin). I still wonder what was below our cabin as it was noisey under us all night long....Any ideas? I though maybe is was laundry facilities?

Sue

We were also on the 1-7-06 sailing of the LOS. We had a family group of 15 people and all had junior suites. We have sailed on 6 previous ships, all on RCCL except one time on Carnival. We liked the extra room on the js, but we asked for loungers and were told they were "out"- even though the cabin next door had them. We didn't press the matter, but we did ask for robes and got them- they are great to have.

We thought the dining room service was great, the room attendant was just ok- I agree with the previous poster about how unusual it was that on the first night out they didn't put our beds out or make them up or anything. We are spoiled and didn't like that!!

The food was good, the shows were all good. We did have a few problems with our bill, but guest relations got it straightened out after I waited in line for 40 minutes. Check your bill at least every other day.

Grand Cayman- I can't say enough times how great the Nativeway tour is-Reef, rays, rum- they are fantastic, we had a great time. Rum Point is so beautiful that we will probably just go there next time, as we have reefed and rayed it several times. The food there was also very good, even though the drinks are 10-12 bucks each.

Costa Maya- some of us did the Ivan and David ruins tour and it is great. David is so smart and so informative about everything, it is well worth the price. The rest of our family went to Tequila Beach and had an all inclusive (food and drinks) for $25 each and had a great time. We had some very rude venders at Chacchoben and especially at Majahual. The lady at Chacchoben tried to hide an item I bought when she was wrapping up my package- luckily I noticed it and called her on it, and she put it in my bag!! Then in Majahual, I was just looking at little dresses for my granddaughter and one of the really pushy vendors kept trying to get me to buy one. I am quiet, not aggressive, and I said, "I am just looking" and he said, "I don't want any of your stinking US money anyway." I said, "What did you say?" and then he said, "You heard me, I am not going to repeat it!" We left after that. We did have some great guacamole at The Cat's Meow in the village.

Belize- did the catamaran snorkel tour and Bannister Caye through the ship. It was a great tour, but the crew is not friendly and it is overpriced. The water was beautiful, fair snorkeling, but we had signed up to go to Rendezvous Caye and then they changed it to Bannister Caye. It is pretty, but man made. The best thing is you don't have to tender, they pick you up on the ship.

Cozumel- have been here many times and I understand they are rebuilding, but it was not that great. We went to Playa Uvas, very crowded, small, charged us $7 to get in and not very many chairs. The water is cloudy, construction everywhere. Carlos and Charlie's about the same, fun. Shopping good, but very pushy everywhere and it smells in the stores. Still, we spent a good amount of money, trying to help them out.

Getting on the ship in Tampa was one of the best, getting off not as good, but not terrible.

The ship is in good shape, very pretty, but we prefer the Radiance, just a little bit bigger, but not huge.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites on Westshore, couldn't have worked out better. They called us a shuttle to the pier, we were on the ship by 11:30.

Sorry if this is unorganized, I am trying to type and take care of my new grandbaby!! Questions are welcomed!!

Hi Cruiser Caol

I and I know others have missed you for a few weeks. Hope everything is ok with you.

Thank you so much for your lovely message. It is nice to be missed. I am trying to catch up on all the news after many weeks of battling with a very nasty virus. Hope that you and everyone here, have had a good Christmas and wishing you all A Happy and healthy New Year ahead. I am very glad to see so many detailed reviews on the Legend, and aside from a few hiccups...mostly positive. That's definitely good News. Cheers for now, Carol

Hi Phantom....thanks so much for your message...I have tried twice to send this greeting via a new thread to get your attention. It does not appear to have gone thru. So in the hopes that you might read this before you sail, Have a Fantastic Cruise tomorrow. I look forward to reading all about it on your return. I know you will enjoy the ship. There have been some good reviews lately I have noticed. A few hiccups..but everyone still seemed happy. I am Just getting back into things after a long battle with a nasty virus. Once again......HAPPY SAILING!!! ...regards, Carol in cold and wet England. :) Will be thinking of you in the sunshine!

Archived