AOS Review- 6-4/6-11

Hi Everyone!

I'll try to make it brief but informative. We got back late last night from a wonderful cruise vacation! Here are some thoughts on our week and some tips for those of you ready to leave!

Embarking: We have cruised from San Juan before and have NEVER seen lines like this! It was crazy to say the least. Since we have left from there before we knew to drop our bags first and then get in line; however for those knew cruisers there was utter confusion. So, here is the first tip if there is a long line. Drop your bags first and then stand in line. You cannot stand in line with the bags that need to go to your stateroom. We were in line at least an hour before getting into the building. Once inside there were more lines...I had filled out our seapass account on line(computer I mean, too many "line" words here...) but saw that the line for on-line check in was 3x's as long as the other line so we jumped in the regular line. We were done in about 8 minutes. So tip #2- see which line is shorter no matter how you are doing the seapass account, they are really going to the same place! This may save you an hour at the very least!

Finally- we were on our way up the escalator (which didn't work) and onto the ship!

The ship: She is HUGE AND AMAZING!! The ship was in good shape. It was always being cleaned or painted someplace! So many things to do that you could never do them all!

Cabins:We had 2 cabins on deck six. One balcony and one PR room. The PR room was only noisy at night during the shows and parades and the boys loved being able to watch what was happening! Our balcony was great but to compare it to a radiance class ship I would have to say those balconys are much better because the half walls are plexiglass. On the AOS they are cement. We had a full moon on the last night and we sat out on our balcony and soaked in the glorious view of the shimmering water!

Staff: The entire staff on AOS was outstanding! Outstanding doesn't even seem to be correct!! Our dining room staff was perfect! We had Emil and Marissa and a wonderful table in the Vilvaldi dining room right by a window! Every single staff member was beyond polite and helpful. Our room attendant was nicknamed "Stealth" by our family. We only saw glimpses of him but our rooms were always imaculate!! He made us 2 towel animals every night in each cabin! We would leave a sticky note for him if we wanted something and it was always there when we got back. Tip # 3- Sticky notes come in very handy. We used them to leave notes for room attendant and to let other members of our family know where we were or where we were headed.

Food: We really enjoyed the food. Some memorable items were the white chocolate mousse with fresh berries, mushroom tart, lobster night, fresh fruit was outstanding, and most of all I loved the cold soups! We ate in the Windjammer one night and it was pretty good. We didn't go to Portifinos as we were there last time. We are not big eaters so I can't say anything about all the extra buffets but people seemed to be enjoying them! My boys loved the icecream and cookies. I loved the Ranger cookies...I think I ate too many! Ben and Jerry's was not open(too bad) and the cafe prommanade food was always available.

Ports:

Aruba- We did the Jolly Pirates and hands down this was the best excursion of our trip!! If you are looking for a fun day this is the one to go on! The crew was outstanding, food was delicious and the rope swing is the best! I can't say enough nice things about this excursion. We booked it on our own so we were on the morning trip. I heard the afternoon trip which is book through RCI was very crowded. We had a small group on our trip. Maybe about 25?

Curacao: We booked a trip through shoretrips and this was called Bounty Adventures. We had a really good time. This was a snorkeling trip as well. We had great snorkeling and they take you on a "trail" which leads you past many great spots. The crew was nice and the food was really good. I would also recommend this trip.

St. Maarten: Again we used shoretrips but this time our excursion was just okay. We were on Lord Sheffield and I WOULD NOT suggest this tour. We only had one snorkeling stop which was pathetic and the lunch was sparse to say the least. We enjoyed the day but I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Of course, we ended the day by buy some booze....

St. Thomas. We took a taxi to Morning Star beach. We hung out at the Marriott. It was a perfect day. The weather was great. We swam at the beach and used their pool (oops, don't tell...). We had a great lunch there as well. If you are looking for a nice relazing beach day close to the ship this is the place to go.

Days at Sea- fun, fun, fun!! Belly flop contest was so funny. Love and Marriage show- if anyone else out there was on this cruise was this not the funniest thing you ever saw!!! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard!!! Peppito was the funniest!!! The entertainment on board was nothing short of fantastic!! The ice show is a must see. Each night the show was so good!

I'm going to go out on a line to say this and I'm sure I'll get bashed but here it goes. I had read previous posts about "locals" being overwhelming on board. I have also departed from San Juan before on the Serenade and did not experience this. ( during April when school was still in at Puerto Rico) but I do have to say that the amount of locals was STAGGERING!! Accoding the the cruise director (Richard Spacey who was AWESOME) there were over 1500 LOCALS on board. I would personally NEVER cruise again during June and leave from San Juan. I won't say anything else on this matter.

Debarking: This is the best tip I picked up from a previous review; we stayed on the ship until the very end. We had a late flight and we just relaxed until about 10:45 and then got off!! What a huge difference!!! Last year we got off early and just stood in line forever. This year we got off late and there were no lines, our luggage was easy to find as there was hardly any left and there was no line to wait in to clear customs!!! So, tip #4 is this; if you have a later flight and are not doing a tour of San Juan, stay on the ship, enjoy the peace of the morning and get off as late as possible. Makes for a relaxing end to the cruise instead of chaos!

If you have any questions ask away or email me at jparusa@yahoo.com.

Embarking: We have cruised from San Juan before and have NEVER seen lines like this! It was crazy to say the least.

Janep: Thank you for that review + the tips. Just curious - what time did you get there? and was this a different time of day than when you were previously there?

Hi janep! Nice review! Sorry we missed you on the ship and really glad you had a great cruise. We too had an absolutely awesome cruise! Nice chatting with you on the roll call before the trip.

I'm working on a review also and will post on a separate thread sometime today. I took some pretty extensive notes on times and taxi fares and such, so I hope mine too is helpful to those that will be cruising on this ship and itinerary in the near future.

chelsea2005 - we spoke to a crew member and told us why embarkation was difficult. Stay tuned and I'll include it in my review.

We are tossing the idea of going on the AOS in 2008 since we would like to go to Aruba. (We did the Southern route on the Serenade this year.)

Do the showers have sliding doors or curtains? Any pictures?

I just looked back at my spelling errors... I'm sorry, new, not KNEW... ha!

We got to the pier about 12:50. Last year we got to the pier about the same time. When we were getting off yesterday at 11ish there was a line already building to get on!! Maybe getting there and standing in line early or getting there after 5? Who knows...I'm looking forward to hearing about the holdup for embarking. Maybe it was a glitch and never happens as it certainly didn't happen to us before!

Shower doors not curtains! Bag to hold toilitries with hanger on it was extrememly helpful.

I'll post pictures later. We have some great ones.

I'm sorry we didn't get to the lounge. I thought about it about 2 hours past the time...too busy with my nose in my book and my margarita:eek: .

Keep the questions coming!

Thank you for the wonderful review!

My question is, how do the Serenade and the AOS compare? Which would you recommend? I have cruises on the EOS and loved it! We would like to do a Southern and want to stick with RCI.

Thanks again!

I have never read any commentary on locals cruising out of San Juan.

If you, or anyone, feel comfortable elaborating on exactly what you mean by this, it would be appreciated.

We cruised the Serenade out of San Juan a few years ago in late March and did not notice anything that would make me think there were a lot of locals on board...

Are they more of a loud party crowd? Snooty? Messy? Rambunctious?

:confused:

Hi Janep,

Great review and very helpful info. My daughter & I are booked on AOS next April (Easter week). Just a couple of quick questions for you:

Was it easily marked at the Pier where to drop off your luggage and then get to the correct line to board?

Did you use the RCI transfers from airport? Was it easier that way with your luggage?

Jolly Pirates excursion, do you have the weblink for that? I've heard some great reports about that excursion and want to look into it.

Thanks so much, Anne

Bellalove- Personally (and that is what I really mean, personally) I loved the Serenade much more than AOS. Here is what I liked. On the Serenade which is a smaller ship there was the feel of always being "on the sea". There was glass everywhere. The elevators ride up on the outside of the ship so you see the ocean every time you ride up or down. The balconies are clear so you see the ocean more too. I'm not sure if the balconies are bigger on the Serenade but it seemed bigger to me. On the AOS there were not a lot of areas that looked out over the sea. The prommanade was just a big shopping mall which was a constant traffic jam of rude people shoving their way past. There is no promanade on the Serenade. I also enjoyed the Seaview Cafe on the Serenade. This was a great place to get burgers, fries, icecream just like Johnny rockets but without the surcharge. We enjoyed going there late at night. On the AOS you have to pay for JR or eat at the Promanade and you could only get pizza, mini sandwhiches and desserts which were not so great. The feel of the Serenade is a bit "classier" and even though we cruised Easter week once it never felt crowded and the ship was full. There are two specialty restaurants on the Serenade which was nice too. It's just my personal choice. I like the smaller intimate feeling of the Serenade better. She offers most of what AOS offers ( no skating, but has pool tables) at a smaller more intimate scale. Does this make sense? My sons who are 18 and 12 also enjoyed the Serenade better. AOS is like Las Vegas and the Serenade is like Antigua- understand?

Sas80- I don't want to come across negatively so all I can say is this; there was a strong flavor of spanish atmosphere for everything. Everything was in Spanish. Some shows were offered in spanish only, compasses too. Menu's as well. RCI seemed to cater to this crowd excessively. It was just overwhelming to me personally. I would not give up cruising out of San Juan. I just wouldn't go from May- August again.

I'm going to go out on a line to say this and I'm sure I'll get bashed but here it goes. I had read previous posts about "locals" being overwhelming on board. I have also departed from San Juan before on the Serenade and did not experience this. ( during April when school was still in at Puerto Rico) but I do have to say that the amount of locals was STAGGERING!! Accoding the the cruise director (Richard Spacey who was AWESOME) there were over 1500 LOCALS on board. I would personally NEVER cruise again during June and leave from San Juan. I won't say anything else on this matter.

jparusa@yahoo.com.

LOCALS....

How do you call people from Miami? They are "Locals" if you take a cruise from there, and most of them speak Spanish too. Then you will never sail again from Miami??

I think that you express something incorrectly, because RCCL do not offered Spanish only shows, and the only place where you will hear Spanish music is in the Latino lounge, Yes you are right we average the 1200 per sailing, and put money to RCCL same as you.

Remember that the paging in the ships it’s always in the main languages that they know they have passengers on board, they could be English, Spanish, French and/or even German.

Any way I don't view the problem of the language or it is because you only speak English?

Remember that the "Locals" that you mentioned are indeed USA Citizens like you, and we don't speak only Spanish we also speak English too.

Hope that your next cruise be better than this one with less "locals" on it.

Thanks

I'm glad to hear back from some "local"...

First, there were shows on the AOS strictly in spanish. Check a compass if you need to verify that. One I can think of off the top of my head was the "love and marriage" show.

Here is something else to think about before guessing what makes me tick. I speak 2 other languages fluently as I am the product of a bi-racial, "bi-continent" family. Therefore, my entire life has been a mix of the sharing of languages, beliefs and customs. All I wanted to say was that no matter what cruise ship/port I have ever been on the amount of locals on this particular cruise was a huge percent. I do not wish to anger anyone, I was just stating a fact.

Very well put Jan. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think it's a bit overboard (no pun intended) to have the shows in Spanish. But just my opinion, please don't beat the messenger. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for your wonderful review and information. I will definitely use it for my cruise next Spring. Have a good day.

Anne

P.S. Smile more people!

We sailed on the AOS out of San Juan just a few weeks ago on the Aruba route, and are going back for the Barbados route in less than two weeks.

On our last cruise, there were 1,500 passengers from Puerto Rico onboard. Yes, announcements were in English and Spanish. Yes, the Puerto Rican flag led the Bon Voyage parade in the Promenade. But, so what?The crew is international. The passengers are international. RCI should certainly tailor it's offerings to the mix on board.

Sorry, we didn't see any Spanish only shows. And certainly the Love& Marriage game that was repeated heavily throughout the cruise on TV was in English. Maybe they ran an alternative one in Spanish? Compasses were available in many languages -- the ones delivered to our cabin were always in English.

And besides, I was not in the U.S., I was visiting foreign countries, so if the flavor was international it was not out of place.

The people we met who were from Puerto Rico were just like people from other places -- with the exception of (for many) not being able to speak English. But hey, I don't speak Spanish so I think we're even on that regard.

The crowd was less rude and pushy than my fellow New Yorkers that we cruised with last year -- but of course a last minute diversion from Bermuda to Nova Scotia didn't help matters.

Anyway, regards to our friends-we-just-met, Sam and Sandra from Puerto Rico -- it was great sharing the Kuku Kunuku pub crawl with you!

I'll check back in after the next cruise (from San Juan) later this month.

(The above is just my opinion and is not meant to knock anyone else's point of view)

Ron

We sailed on the AOS out of San Juan just a few weeks ago on the Aruba route, and are going back for the Barbados route in less than two weeks.

On our last cruise, there were 1,500 passengers from Puerto Rico onboard. Yes, announcements were in English and Spanish. Yes, the Puerto Rican flag led the Bon Voyage parade in the Promenade. But, so what?The crew is international. The passengers are international. RCI should certainly tailor it's offerings to the mix on board.

Sorry, we didn't see any Spanish only shows. And certainly the Love& Marriage game that was repeated heavily throughout the cruise on TV was in English. Maybe they ran an alternative one in Spanish? Compasses were available in many languages -- the ones delivered to our cabin were always in English.

And besides, I was not in the U.S., I was visiting foreign countries, so if the flavor was international it was not out of place.

The people we met who were from Puerto Rico were just like people from other places -- with the exception of (for many) not being able to speak English. But hey, I don't speak Spanish so I think we're even on that regard.

The crowd was less rude and pushy than my fellow New Yorkers that we cruised with last year -- but of course a last minute diversion from Bermuda to Nova Scotia didn't help matters.

Anyway, regards to our friends-we-just-met, Sam and Sandra from Puerto Rico -- it was great sharing the Kuku Kunuku pub crawl with you!

I'll check back in after the next cruise (from San Juan) later this month.

(The above is just my opinion and is not meant to knock anyone else's point of view)

Ron

Thanks Ron

You are in the right track, the main purpose of a cruise is to have a nice time and learn from each culture you visit, I think that the name RCI is Royal Caribbean International, and the international part is for a purpose, they are international.

We always view the shows and everything in English and never complain, why someone should complain if one or two activities are in Spanish or Italian or French? I don't mind we enjoy it as well.

Ron if you need any info on Old San Juan that I can share just let me know!!

Happy cruising.

Personally (and that is what I really mean, personally) I loved the Serenade much more than AOS. Here is what I liked. On the Serenade which is a smaller ship there was the feel of always being "on the sea". There was glass everywhere. The elevators ride up on the outside of the ship so you see the ocean every time you ride up or down. The balconies are clear so you see the ocean more too. I'm not sure if the balconies are bigger on the Serenade but it seemed bigger to me. On the AOS there were not a lot of areas that looked out over the sea. The prommanade was just a big shopping mall which was a constant traffic jam of rude people shoving their way past. There is no promanade on the Serenade. I also enjoyed the Seaview Cafe on the Serenade. This was a great place to get burgers, fries, icecream just like Johnny rockets but without the surcharge. We enjoyed going there late at night. On the AOS you have to pay for JR or eat at the Promanade and you could only get pizza, mini sandwhiches and desserts which were not so great. The feel of the Serenade is a bit "classier" and even though we cruised Easter week once it never felt crowded and the ship was full. There are two specialty restaurants on the Serenade which was nice too. It's just my personal choice. I like the smaller intimate feeling of the Serenade better. She offers most of what AOS offers ( no skating, but has pool tables) at a smaller more intimate scale. Does this make sense? My sons who are 18 and 12 also enjoyed the Serenade better. AOS is like Las Vegas and the Serenade is like Antigua- understand?

Janep, thanks again. I like the fact that I made the right choice! :D

I think it's like the Theme Parks in Orlando. They have their "SLOW" periods and want to fill the ship so they dump the cabins at a "LOCAL PRICE!" End Result.... we ALL get to cruise taking SJU in TOW! Some of us WANT a vacation from all of this! Cost of doing Biz I guess. If we want to go we just have to Grin & Bear it! For the times they are a changin'

I think it's like the Theme Parks in Orlando. They have their "SLOW" periods and want to fill the ship so they dump the cabins at a "LOCAL PRICE!" End Result.... we ALL get to cruise taking SJU in TOW! Some of us WANT a vacation from all of this! Cost of doing Biz I guess. If we want to go we just have to Grin & Bear it! For the times they are a changin'

What Ignorance on What you saying!!! "Local Price" You don't know what you are talking, SJU in a TOW, If you don't like other cultures then stay in your mainland and don't go where other people lives and do their things, but who cares, from the moon anyone can see what you are.

Look here in order for you to understand What you called "Local Price"

This is from another user :

jouset_1345 jouset_1345

Cool Cruiser

Default Hi ! From Carolina, Puerto Rico

Hi !

I just want to say a few things , I am a travel executive for aatours here in Puerto Rico. I just want to give my point of view as a local ...

Price for cruises here in Puerto Rico are not pay the same way you do ...

And Example. If you hear that Puerto Ricans get a $350.00 deal to get on the ship ... Well thats great .... But here you pay the cruise and then the port Taxes and feeds, that for the Adventure are $ 178.89.

So the cruise price is for a double cabin Cat N ( A last minute deal )is

$ 700.00 ( 350.00 X 2)

But the port taxes and feeds are $ 178.89 p/p .... so a total of $ 357.78

And now the total price for the cruise was $ 1,057.78 ( Cat N ) double.

528.89 p/p

Here in Puerto Rico we do that to make cruises more appealing to the customer , but at the end of all is the same price you will find on any any US travel agency.

Just to add many Puerto Ricans Have cruises booked on the Adventure of the seas till January 2008 ... so not all the puerto ricans onboard get the soo good deals .... That I have never seen .... and for the Princess comment they yes give discounts .... but the port taxes and feed for their ships ran from

$198.08 on the Golden ..... to 215.25 ( on the New Crown Princess ) .

So the next time you ask a Puerto Rican how much they pay for the cruise, Remember to ask how much the pay in port taxes and feeds to ....

Thanks , you can track the prices for Puerto Rican cruises on :

http://www.crucero.com

http://www.aatourspr.com

http://www.mundotravelpr.com

But remember to always see the port taxes and feeds because that change the complete price you see listed.

Did you notice many tables for 2 in the Dining Room? Tried to get one on VOS 2 years ago and altho one near us sat empty our entire cruise, we were told we could not change from table of 6.

Appreciate any info on this for AOS.

Let's get back to the subject of why this posting was original intended....:D .

Jan,

Thanks for the wealth of info and telling us all about your AOS cruise. You gave us some great pointers upon boarding, some good excursions suggestions and what to do/not to do on the ship. I already started looking at the Jolly Pirates website you provided me, thanks. I have quite a few months to decide what excursions my daughter & I want to do. I've been to Puerto Rico several times as my ex was from there. Most of our family vacations were there over the years and I've seen every inch of the island. But I always like Old San Juan.

I started looking at flights and right now American's only flight back is very late in the day (5:30pm). I was only looking for direct flights. So we may have to store our luggage and spend the day in Old San Juan. But if memory serves me, I think most of the stores in the area are closed on Sundays. Does anyone know to be fact?

Thanks for any info, Anne

Archived