Good information to know before you go

My family and I cruised the conquest on May 28th. Luckily, everything went fine and we had a great time. Unfortunately, a good friend cruised the conquest 2 weeks after us and things did not go as well. I felt I needed to share his horror story. On the 4th day of the cruise he broke out in a terrible "rash". The nurse on board said it was a heat rash. The next day it was much much worse and his wife had it as well. Turns out that it was an awful case of scabies:eek: . The cruise line said they would strip down the room and wash everything, including their clothes. The wife stayed in the room just to make sure they really did a good job. She said when they lifted the matress that it was disgusting. The room steward told them that they only change the sheets between cruises. They don't change the matress pad, so just think about it. 3000 people week after week. Just thought I'd warn you to maybe take a peek before you sleep!

My family and I cruised the conquest on May 28th. Luckily, everything went fine and we had a great time. Unfortunately, a good friend cruised the conquest 2 weeks after us and things did not go as well. I felt I needed to share his horror story. On the 4th day of the cruise he broke out in a terrible "rash". The nurse on board said it was a heat rash. The next day it was much much worse and his wife had it as well. Turns out that it was an awful case of scabies:eek: . The cruise line said they would strip down the room and wash everything, including their clothes. The wife stayed in the room just to make sure they really did a good job. She said when they lifted the matress that it was disgusting. The room steward told them that they only change the sheets between cruises. They don't change the matress pad, so just think about it. 3000 people week after week. Just thought I'd warn you to maybe take a peek before you sleep!

Would like to know if they flew to their port? also if some medical person could say if anyone can catch this from only bed sheets???

They stayed on board and tried to have a good time anyway. They were with a large family group. They wrote scripts for some kind of ointment that kills them. Told them they could fill it cheaper in Cozumel??? Yes, scabies are extremely contagious and you can get them from bedding. Other family member that had come in their room and just sat on the bed did not get them, thank goodness.

They stayed on board and tried to have a good time anyway. They were with a large family group. They wrote scripts for some kind of ointment that kills them. Told them they could fill it cheaper in Cozumel??? Yes, scabies are extremely contagious and you can get them from bedding. Other family member that had come in their room and just sat on the bed did not get them, thank goodness.

Thanks, I will surely ask my steward if they changed all of my sheets and pillow cases.

Fred, what difference does it make if they flew to the port?:D

FYI, I take a small can of disinfectant spray on my cruises. I'm not fanatic, but I do take precautions. I lightly spray the carpet, bathroom, and the bedding. I take the little packets of santi-wipes for the top surfaces in the cabin. I do the same when staying in hotels.

Yes the ointment worked. I can't remember what he said about going to the doc here. I don't think he did. He emailed CCL when he got home and they have not replied to him as of yesterday. He's been back for a week and a half.:confused:

I don't know what their room # was?? I can try to find out today if I can reach him. Odds are in your favor that you won't be in the same one, but he said they cleaned it thoroughly. I saw a special on tv about the epidemic of bed bugs in hotels, even 5 star hotels. It's not hard to imagine that this could happen what with all the people that ride that ship every week!

You can pick up scabies by just trying on clothes in a store, sitting in the same seat in the car, plane, etc. It's HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY contagious!

It is human 'mange' literally. Little mites that get under the skin, very itchy.

Disinfectant is not going to do the trick with these buggers. You need something like RID or a similar product that is prescription.

What is gross, is that your friends chose to continue to go out and be around other people while being treated. That's gross...you can pass it around like that!

YUCK!

What is gross, is that your friends chose to continue to go out and be around other people while being treated. That's gross...you can pass it around like that!

YUCK!

I would not blame it on the friends. How about the cruiseline. They knew about it also.

As Nurseer said, if this was the first time they had it, they did NOT get them on the ship.

How soon after infestation will symptoms begin?

For a person who has never been infested with scabies, symptoms may take 4-6 weeks to begin. For a person who has had scabies, symptoms appear within several days. You do not become immune to an infestation.

How did I get scabies?

By direct, prolonged, skin-to-skin contact with a person already infested with scabies. Contact must be prolonged (a quick handshake or hug will usually not spread infestation). Infestation is easily spread to sexual partners and household members. Infestation may also occur by sharing clothing, towels, and bedding.

Sounds like they really weren't putting their shipmates in danger of infestation just by walking around the ship.

How soon after infestation will symptoms begin?

For a person who has never been infested with scabies, symptoms may take 4-6 weeks to begin. For a person who has had scabies, symptoms appear within several days. You do not become immune to an infestation.

It sounds like they didn't pick it up on the ship, unless they had it before.

I am not trying to be a doubting Thomas, but as Nurseer stated, and the CDC website Liv provided a link to confirmed, symptoms can take 4 -6 weeks to appear (assuming they haven't an infestation before):confused:

They could have had an infestation before. Maybe that's why they were diagnosed so fast.

If it was me I probably wouldn't have a clue. Someone also posted on another thread that they saw bed bugs on their cruise.

This is good info to know. I will be checking.

Okay - call me stupid - but what are we checking for? Can you really 'see' these things? I thought there were microscopically small?

Sounds like the sheets are changed between cruises, but not the mattress pad? Is that what we should be checking?

Just want to be informed!

Thanks,

Frouf

I saw a special on tv about the epidemic of bed bugs in hotels, even 5 star hotels. It's not hard to imagine that this could happen what with all the people that ride that ship every week!

Yes, those tv shows about bed bugs, germs, etc. in hotels are gross! They said the most filthy thing in the hotel rooms they swabbed was the tv remote. I guess it would be the same on a cruise ship. I do the same thing Cotton does ~ disinfectant spray and wipe down the surfaces with disinfectant wipes. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but it makes me FEEL better anyway! :p

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the scabies and the bed bugs are two different critters? Either way they are both NASTY.

I would not blame it on the friends. How about the cruiseline. They knew about it also.

So they paid for their vacation so they are going to do what they want to do too?

YUCK...just like Norovirus...lets just spread the love around!

Cushioned seats in the theatre...pair of shorts, bare legs, bare arms, rubbing against the cushions.... Towels at the poolside... Riding in the car...(hopefully they treated their car too)

Ever had scabies run through your household while your mom was working for a nursing home and caught it from work? You NEVER EVER EVER want to do that again and the thought of someone lounging out around the ship wearing summer gear and leaving presents laying around and putting others at risk makes me mad. Stick to your room for a few days, let the cream do its job.

Just grosses me out!

PS...you CANNOT see scabies...they are mites.

Bedbugs are bigger and visible.

Archived