Question on 4x4 tour

HERKIMER417

Last year, we were in Belize and did the tubing with Yhonni and had a great time. We'll be sailing in under 60 days and going to Belize again.

This year, DW and I are looking at the -

4x4 range rover- cave - river ride tour.

http://www.belize-paradise.com/contactus.htm

I came across the tour on the web site for Belize Paradise Tour, but they are set up to only book thru the ship. Before I take that route I have some questions.

1) Has anyone done this tour, how was it?

2) What was the cost?

Thanks

J

My husband and I sailed on RCCL's Enchantment of the Seas in December 2005, at which time we booked the Jeep 4 x4 and cave exploration tour through the cruise ship. The tour was absolutely fabulous!!! We have done other 4 x 4 excursions in Freeport, etc., and have never experienced as much excitement as we did on this tour. The jungle ride was great, a true 4 x 4 experience. Both my husband and I were just covered in mud by the end of the trip.

I was not overly fond of the cave exploration, as both the insects (large spiders) and the bats frightened me. Also, the cave openings and the tunnels are very small. So, if you are somewhat of a larger individual, things get a bit cramped.

Anyways, the entire excursion was an absolute blast, and we would both highly recommend it. If I remember correctly, RCCL charged just under $100.00 pp for this 5-hour trip.

Good luck--Sandi$$

The 4 x 4 portion was moderately rough, but not too bad. Remember, I went on this tour just following the rain season (December), so the ground was still moist and very muddy. I am unsure as to what the trail would be like in the upcoming months. At one point, we actually got stuck in more than three feet of mud. The leader of our group had to use chains to pull our jeep out. Believe it or not, the first chain even broke!

In regard to "neck related problems," it is my opinion that you can make the 4 x 4 ride as wild or meek as you choose. My husband definitely took the routes (with speed) that would give him more "bang for his buck." Whereas, if I were driving, the excursion most likely would not have been as entertaining.

I will say, however, that this excurson truly was the highlight of our cruise. I have sailed four times over the past year, with stops in more than 12 different countries, and by far, none of our excursions have compared to this memory.

Sandi:rolleyes:

Thanks Sandi

I appreciate the input. I'll be on the Miracle March 11 - 18th. Last year it was relatively dry in Belize and I've read that March is a dryer month.

I do have some additional questions:

1) Does water level or mud amount change the height of the caves? We have some in our party that would be classified as "large and out-of-shape".

2 Are reservations needed well in advance or can this be done closer to the departure?

3) Do you know if the trip cost differently if booked via the ship excursions or directly with the vendor.

Thanks again

J

Hi J--Not a problem!

In regard to your latest questions, I can only answer a few. The caves are "tight" regardless of water levels, etc. If those in your group are adventurous, despite their size and activity level, they will do just fine. The guides are very helpful. I, on the otherhand, was not so fond of getting dirty, not knowing what I was crawling into, etc. Call it a bit of "phobia," if you may.

As for booking the trip far in advance, I am just unsure. I like to plan ahead of time, so I am always months ahead of schedule. My only thought is that I would hate to see the tour sell out, especially if it is something you are very interested in. I would have to say that our tour was almost entirely filled.

Also, I am unsure if you can book this tour independently. The ride to the caves/jeeps is about one hour, via jungle buggy. Then, the return to the port is another hour via boat on the Sibun river. I would not want to be late returning to the port. We truly had less than 40 minutes to spare, and that was through RCCL's excursion desk.

Please, feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Archived