combination of AYWD & Traditional dining

panddas

We are going to be on a 46 day cruise on Volendam Sept 2008 - we have confirmed traditional/assigned late seating - wondering if we can - once in awhile - ie: once a week or so not show up for our late seating, but go to the dining room at any time and hope to get a table through the AYWD program.

We like the late seating and a larger table with the same guests etc, but some evenings, especially as it is such a long cruise, we may want to eat a little earlier (I don't care for LIDO) and may not always want to go to the PG. I know it sounds like we are trying to use it as a real Freestyle - that isn't the case....but thought we would ask the question. How do they know when you go for AYWD if you should be at an assigned table at a different time? thanks for you help

We are going to be on a 46 day cruise on Volendam Sept 2008 - we have confirmed traditional/assigned late seating - wondering if we can - once in awhile - ie: once a week or so not show up for our late seating, but go to the dining room at any time and hope to get a table through the AYWD program.

We like the late seating and a larger table with the same guests etc, but some evenings, especially as it is such a long cruise, we may want to eat a little earlier (I don't care for LIDO) and may not always want to go to the PG. I know it sounds like we are trying to use it as a real Freestyle - that isn't the case....but thought we would ask the question. How do they know when you go for AYWD if you should be at an assigned table at a different time? thanks for you help

From what I have been told you need to pick one or the other. You can't be switching back and forth. From what I recall it says your type of dining on your cruise card and if that was not the case I know for sure they ask for your cabin number. I'm sure they can tell on their computer at that point.

The ship knows exactly where you are dining on any given evening. When you present for open seating and the LIDO, you will be asked for your cabin #.

I was on one of the first sails with open seating on the Noordam. People were bolting out of traditional seating for open seating on this particular cruise. It was obvious that the crew had no idea when or where most were going to present for dinner.

It's not fair to those in open seating if they have to wait longer than they might have, because some in traditional seating want to opt in and out.

Given the 46 day duration of your sail, I suspect many on your cruise will want to break up their dining experience and try open seating, on occasion. No way to know how such requests will be accommodated or not. I suspect they will do their best to accommodate you so long as it does not create a burden for others.

The experiences of open seating on a 7-12 day cruise is not apt to be the same thing as it will be on your cruise. No way to compare the two experiences.

It's amazing what a little chat with the maitre d' can accomplish. I've known folks who were assigned late traditional 9i.e., main upper) who needed to eat early one night. They asked the maitre 'd the night before and were accommodated at a table foe early dining. I've seen folks with early times request an occasional late one - and be taken care of.

The staff will do they're best to accommodate you -- just ask.

Archived