Legend Review 7/20 (with a few pictures)

irky416

I enjoyed reading everyone's reviews before I left, so I thought I would do a review of our trip. We went on the Legend on July 20. Let me preface by saying it was the absolute best vacation we have ever been on. I took hundreds of pictures and tried out our new waterproof digital. I'll try to post a couple of the pictures here. It was my 2nd cruise (the first was a 4 day on the Fantasy to the Bahamas). My boyfriend has been on more, but he doesn't remember how many. It was at least his 5th.

We flew into Tampa on Saturday evening. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Rocky Point. They had free shuttles to and from the airport and to the pier. They would also take you anywhere in a 2 mile radius but we didn't use that. There is a Bahama Breeze across the street and we were going to eat there, but it was peak dinner time and the wait was just too long. We ended up ordering pizza (which ended up being a disaster and it probably would have been better just to eat at Bahama Breeze).

The next morning we couldn't get on a shuttle to go to the port until 1. At first, I was kind of bummed, but it was nice to sleep in and enjoy a relaxing morning. They let us stay in the room past the check out time since we weren't leaving until later. We took advantage of the free breakfast to fill us up before we got to the port. They had a pretty nice selection of breakfast items as well.

We got to the port around 1:30 and checked in. It was pretty easy. The line was long, but it went pretty fast and I was too excited to notice we were waiting in line. We had been upgraded from an inside guarantee to an obstructed view balcony. Neither of us have had a balcony room before.

We were on the ship and in our room in less than an hour from when we arrived at the port. The first thing we did was try to switch our dinner. We really wanted anytime dining or a table for two. We headed to Truffles too make a request and got behind some lady who felt she deserved to have whatever seating she wanted. (From what I gathered, she wanted early dining because she had kids and late dining wasn’t feasible.) She was being very loud and rude to the assistant maitre’d . Her reasoning for being able to get what she wanted? “We paid top dollar for this cruise and everyone else here is a budget cruiser and since we spent so much money we should be able to get what we want. It’s only fair that we paid so much for this cruise and everyone else paid so little that we can’t get our dining choice!” And so on and so forth. My boyfriend and I were trying really hard not to laugh at her. If everyone else on the ship paid so little for their cruise, why are you the only person who paid “top dollar?”

We actually felt bad for the maitre’d. This lady was really throwing a fit over this. We actually commented more than once throughout the cruise that we kind of hoped she didn’t get the time she wanted. When we went and asked to be switched the maitre’d looked like she was expecting us to yell at her. We told her nicely that we understood it was only a request and that if it didn’t work out, it was really no big deal. She seemed very relieved.

We went back to our room briefly to check out the balcony. I really enjoyed having a balcony. Here are some pictures of the obstructed view. I was looking for some and had a hard time finding them. We had a room that was partially in between two lifeboats, so we could see down onto the deck below us. Even with the lifeboats there, you could see out perfectly fine. You just couldn’t look straight down. I would get an obstructed view balcony again if it was a lot less than a regular balcony. (First time posting a picture, I hope it works!)

342328483_drSNb-M.jpg

(This was straight down while still in Tampa)

342335932_Te9hw-M.jpg

(This was straight out while at sea)

After we took some pictures we went to explore the ship to get a feel for the layout and see what it had to offer. We took some pictures and then we had to head back for the muster drill.

342329146_2Z2c8-M.jpg

I’m glad we didn’t get there very early. We went pretty much right when they called us, but there were still a bunch of people there before us. They lined you up on the deck and put the first groups in the back and then lined others up in front of them. I can imagine if I were in the back for that long I would have started to feel very claustrophobic back there. We only had one line in front of us and I was starting to feel too closed in. It didn’t take very long and we went back to exploring.

342330425_EWQry-M.jpg

(You can see people lined up behind us)

We did go up for sailing under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It is very impressive and if you can, you should definitely see it!

342335234_mnJ6w-M.jpg

We got ready for dinner and went to the dining room. There was a huge line. We found this to happen every night – at least for the late seating. We avoided it by going a few minutes after 8:15. We were seated with a very nice couple who we enjoyed very much, but we ended up switching tables the next day because we had already asked for a table for two. (Our last cruise we had a very bad experience with tablemates, so we decided to request the switch first thing. We regretted it a little bit. Maybe next time, we’ll wait and see what happens the first night. It was nice sitting just the two of us though.)

The food was delicious and stayed that way through the whole cruise. We also tried our first warm chocolate melting cakes! After dinner, we saw the Welcome Aboard show and met the cruise director, Shawn Bussey. We both liked her and thought she was funny.

The next day was a sea day. It ended up being cold and rainy. We had just missed a hurricane and there was a notice in our room when we arrived that we may have to skip a port or reroute because of it. Luckily, later that second day, they announced we would keep our schedule and after this day there should be nice weather because they hurricane would be far enough away from us.

I don’t really remember what we spent this day doing. No one was really outside because of the rain and the cold. We went to a couple of the activities and hung out on our balcony. It was nice and relaxing. I was glad I had remembered to throw in a hoodie at the last second, though. It was formal night so we decided to get ready early and go get a bunch of pictures taken. We only bought one formal picture and I scanned it in and had it reprinted at home.

After that, we got our new table and had a nice dinner with our first dinner show. I really loved the Chilled Strawberry Bisque they had this night. It was so good. I actually had to make it when I got home because I missed it. My boyfriend enjoyed the lobster and shrimp and ended up having two. We also got the melting cake again!

342338819_tfXQj-M.jpg

I didn't really notice anyone in dress totally inappropriate. You can see what I was wearing (it's a floor length dress), and I didn't feel overdressed.

After dinner, was the first production show and we both enjoyed it. The next day was Grand Cayman and we had to get up early so we pretty much went to bed.

I'll have to continue this tomorrow. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you!!!

I was on the Legend in May and wrote a picture review as well. I love the picture reviews of course... who doesn't?!? I also understand how much work it is. Some have burned out and let their uncompleted review die. I almost did as well. Cheers to ya, and I'm looking forward to 'going back to' Grand Cayman!

Here's a few more pictures since I can only post 6 in one post. Hopefully, I won't go overboard with the pictures!

Our room. This was the first time I ever unpacked for a vacation. Usually I live out of my suitcase, but there wasn't really room for the suitcase to stay out.

342327613_apjEq-M.jpg

342327847_z5WPz-M.jpg

A better view of our balcony

342374173_wRzST-M.jpg

The mini golf course and basketball court.

342329573_H6jTJ-M.jpg

Adult-only pool area

342329809_BBpTt-M.jpg

Enchanted Forest (I thought this was cute!)

342332851_9xBA7-M.jpg

You can never go overboard with the pictures. Post all you want. It is what keeps us going until we sail and thank you for doing this, it is very time consuming for you.

I agree the more Pictures the better. Nice reveiew too, Thank you.

Now I just can't wait until the end of Nov.

Don't worry about overdoing on the pictures - everyone LOOOOOVES them! Just ask Carrie & Tinkerbell!!!!

I want to see the formal night pictures. I just love seeing everyone all dressed up.

Side note - I keep reading reviews about people in sloppy clothes on formal night, and in 7 cruises I have not seen this yet. I'm starting to wonder - I have seen people in shorts on the elevator while I'm on the way to dinner on formal night. I just assume these folks either had the early seating, or chose to eat at the buffet that night. I have NEVER seen anyone in the dining room on formal night in shorts. Comments? Picture evidence, anyone?

Keep it coming!

Side note - I keep reading reviews about people in sloppy clothes on formal night, and in 7 cruises I have not seen this yet. I'm starting to wonder - I have seen people in shorts on the elevator while I'm on the way to dinner on formal night. I just assume these folks either had the early seating, or chose to eat at the buffet that night. I have NEVER seen anyone in the dining room on formal night in shorts. Comments? Picture evidence, anyone?

I was on Legend in May. This was, by far, the worst dressed group I had ever seen on a cruise. On Formal Night (this was right before the change to Elegant) there was one guy in a wife-beater, two guys in baseball caps and several in sloppy shorts. This is just from what I could see from my table.

I wish I had pictures.....it was unbelievable. Lesson learned.....take my camera everywhere. LOL!

ETA: My food still tasted wonderful though!

Don't worry about overdoing on the pictures - everyone LOOOOOVES them! Just ask Carrie & Tinkerbell!!!!

Keep it coming!

This is Carrie, and Rockwood is correct. WE LOVE PICTURES!!!

Thank you for posting pics of your room! I was in a suite for my cruise, and I saw the room of my onboard buddies which was an unobstructed balcony. We all agreed at the time that the suite was overrated. Now I see your room, and I know that I would be very happy with that as well. In my opinion your view was hardly obstructed, but I appreciate that Carnival does separate them; you know there would be the one person to have a fit...

Thanks again!

Thanks for the review I am enjoying it and the pictures. I have an 9A obstructed veiw on my up coming cruise, I was kinda bummed out about it :mad: but now that I see your obstructed I think the pictures I had in mind are totally all wrong:rolleyes: . Keep it coming can't wait to read more.......:D

Love your review and pictures! I am not on this ship but love reading all the reviews. You mentioned your formal dress but I didn't see a picture? Love all the pictures. Keep em coming

I was going to say the same thing.

I'd like to try the Legend some day.

You can never go overboard with the pictures. Post all you want. It is what keeps us going until we sail and thank you for doing this, it is very time consuming for you.

Ok, I will keep the pictures coming then!

I agree the more Pictures the better. Nice reveiew too, Thank you.

Now I just can't wait until the end of Nov.

Thank you! I will post some more then!

I want to see the formal night pictures. I just love seeing everyone all dressed up.

Keep it coming!

I'll post our formal night picture. I also saw people in shorts and swimsuits on formal night but definitely not in the dining room. I, like you, assumed they had early dining or ate at the buffet. I never saw that in the dining room. Not everyone wants to keep their formal clothes on all night.

Enjoyed your review and pics so far..............

Looking forward to the rest.............

Thank you!

Love your review and pictures! I am not on this ship but love reading all the reviews. You mentioned your formal dress but I didn't see a picture? Love all the pictures. Keep em coming

Oh. That's because I didn't realize at first I was only allowed to have 6 pictures. I had to cut it out and then forgot I did and forgot to change the wording. I'll post it!

Enjoyed your review and pics so far..............

Looking forward to the rest.............

Thank you!

Thanks for the review! I'm really missing the Legend right now! Love your pics! :D

Carrie: Any news on your move?

Thank you! I miss it too!

Thanks for the review I am enjoying it and the pictures. I have an 9A obstructed veiw on my up coming cruise, I was kinda bummed out about it :mad: but now that I see your obstructed I think the pictures I had in mind are totally all wrong:rolleyes: . Keep it coming can't wait to read more.......:D

Don't be bummed. I would get an obstructed view again. You can see everything out and that's what's important. And it was nice to be able to enjoy the outside when we were in our room.

This is Carrie, and Rockwood is correct. WE LOVE PICTURES!!!

Thank you for posting pics of your room! I was in a suite for my cruise, and I saw the room of my onboard buddies which was an unobstructed balcony. We all agreed at the time that the suite was overrated. Now I see your room, and I know that I would be very happy with that as well. In my opinion your view was hardly obstructed, but I appreciate that Carnival does separate them; you know there would be the one person to have a fit...

Thanks again!

Your suite does look nice. There was plenty of space in our room for us. I can see people complaining about it, also, but for us it was nice...especially since it was a free upgrade!

Thanks for the encouragement to continue!

Here's that formal night picture.

345185542_X2o4u-M.jpg

Enjoying the strawberry bisque (with people in jackets and ties behind me!)

342337858_kS8Bh-M.jpg

Here's the Firebird Lounge

342331312_Y3ZWr-M.jpg

Medusa's Club

342335731_CFH2E-M.jpg

The water slide area

342348216_FeMFv-M.jpg

342333940_ceJzu-M.jpg

I'm working on typing up Grand Cayman!

Your pictures are wonderful!!!! Now I want to go on the LEGEND but do they just go out of Tampa??? Thanks so much for the review!

At this time they sail from Tampa but when I was last on her 2 years ago if was from FLL. Keep an eye out for a change of port. She is my favorite ship to date.

We ordered room service this morning since we had to be up so early and it worked out great. It came when we asked for it and the food was good. After breakfast, we went down to get a tender. We arrived in Grand Cayman and tendered into the pier with no trouble at all. We got right on a tender and it was a short ride to the pier. The weather was gorgeous. We couldn’t have asked for better weather the whole time we were off at the ports.

The Legend from the pier

342623370_ZXzQk-M.jpg

We had scheduled to do Stingray City through Moby Dick Tours. We checked in with them as soon as we got off the ship and they told us we had about a half hour before they were going to leave. We looked around the pier area for a little bit. Shortly after we headed to Stingray City by bus first and then we transferred to a small boat. This was an awesome excursion and I highly recommend it.

As we got closer to the sandbar more and more stingrays started to show up next to our boat. The stingrays know the boats bring food so they start congregating.

342624642_87A3G-M.jpg

We got off the boat and our guides helped us feed them if we wanted and helped anyone who was scared. They also held some stingrays so you could kiss one if you wanted for 7 years of good luck. We had plenty of time and had plenty of food. I took a ton of pictures with my new camera. I didn’t bring a snorkel in the water with me and I wished I would have. We got there before a lot of the other boats so it was nice not being very crowded.

342625891_CJEhG-M.jpg

After we were done at Stingray City, we went over to a reef to snorkel. The snorkeling was pretty good. Our guide swam down to show us a moray eel he was friends with. We had plenty of time to snorkel and then got back on the boat to head back. We decided not to be dropped off at 7 Mile Beach and instead just went back to the pier to collect a few souvenirs and then got back on the ship. Grand Cayman was really nice and I would like to go back to see what else there is to offer.

342631163_KDhyK-M.jpg

We got back on the ship and had lunch. We found the deli which was excellent, and no one seemed to realize it was there until at least Friday. There was hardly ever a line there. We watched the sail away and headed back to our room to shower. I fell asleep on the balcony (so nice!) while I was waiting for the shower and my boyfriend fell asleep after he got out. We were both pretty tired from the sun and getting up early.

I took this picture and tried to stitch it together from our balcony of Grand Cayman

348375122_3R4hx-M.jpg

We got ready and headed up to the Lido deck. I finally got my coconut monkey head drink. I had wanted one on our last cruise two years ago, but never got one. I was happy to get it this time! You can ask for any drink you want in it. I got a mudslide. Eventually, we went down to dinner. Again, dinner was fabulous and our waiter’s were great! We saw the show (a balancing act and comedian, I think. I’d have to double check the capers to be sure, but I have to find them first.) and enjoyed it.

342342357_7tgNo-M.jpg

We had a monkey in our room tonight. I was hoping to get a towel monkey this trip since we didn’t last time. We left our room steward a note that we loved the monkey and it stayed up the rest of week. We actually only met our room steward once, and I was very impressed that later in the week he greeted me by name in the hallway nowhere near our room. The next day (Wednesday) would be Cozumel.

I'll add a few more pictures in another post

The gorgeous ship

342636153_vFiGT-M.jpg

Here you can see the obstructed balconies from the water. Ours was right between the second and third life raft. (I would imagine the life boats would have a more obstructed view.)

342635944_kVo85-M.jpg

A reef in Grand Cayman

342632117_D9ud3-M.jpg

A female stingray

342628971_sDKMw-M.jpg

Feeding the stingray (see the squid?)

342626268_8UyuX-M.jpg

Our towel monkey - We loved him!

342344271_KnRNv-M.jpg

Archived