What "rookie" mistakes did you learn from?

Catrin

Sometimes, it is easy to forget that we all were ONCE cruise newbies.....

I remember my first cruise - for the most part we were lost. Well before Cruise Critic, I didnt know about booking excursions, booking a good room, etc.

What mistakes did you make as a newbie - that you learned from - and have used that knowledge in future cruises??

For us... it was room selection. We were offered a guaranteed 4a - and scooped it up. We originally booked a 4 day Royal Caribbean, but our TA called us with this offer. When we got our cabin, we had M11 - way in the FRONT of the Ecstacy. Well, I was sick all week.

SInce then, I book middle cabins - and balconies for the fresh air!!

Maybe some of the newbies now can learn from our mistakes!

I didn't realize until the last couple of days of my first cruise that the Lido buffet has DIFFERENT food in all the different areas at lunchtime. I thought it would all be the same. So, I missed out on most of the Taste of Nations choices because I didn't even go to that part of the buffet.

Now I know to walk all around and see what there is before I start putting food on my plate.

Booking an inside room because I thought we would hardly be in it. Well, with no windows you lose all track of time and slept more than we should. From now on a balcony is a must.

And not taking enough camera memory. I am an avid picture taker and filled the cards up fast. Ended up deleting a lot during the cruise. Now I take way too many, if that is possible.:rolleyes:

I didn't realize until the last couple of days of my first cruise that the Lido buffet has DIFFERENT food in all the different areas at lunchtime. I thought it would all be the same. So, I missed out on most of the Taste of Nations choices because I didn't even go to that part of the buffet.

Now I know to walk all around and see what there is before I start putting food on my plate.

Oh this is a good one. I almost made the same mistake although I think because I enjoy walking and exploring that on the 2nd or 3rd day I figured out the different buffet food options.

Well I fell for the Bon Voyage drink scam.. You know where they offer you the drink and you think its free and after you take a drink they ask you for your card.

Rookie mistake

Yep, I fell for this on my DW and I first cruise which was our honeymoon. i was so excited to get that foo foo drink until I saw it was like 10 bucks a piece after drinking it.

I ditto the comment about doing too much. On our last cruise, we skipped things and took a nap and just hung out together. That was way cooler than doing yet another activity. And, I brought more pajamas because I can't stand when my jammies smell and I don't do laundry on vacation.

Taking too many clothes. :D

Not realizing the spa has many freebies worth trying: fresh water hot tubs, great towels, nice showers, steam room, sauna.

Thinking we had to buy, buy, buy: pictures, trinkets, baskets, blankets, liquor...

Not realizing that room service only costs a tip for delivery.

Things I learned quickly:

There are plenty of loungers in the sun on the deck above the pools and it's easier to find some shade up there if you want that, too.

There is laundry on board, either send it out or do it yourself.

You don't have to do everything, or eat everything, that's on the ship.

The workers on the ship are people, too. They appreciate a "good morning" from the people they're working for each day.

You can upgrade the wine a TA sends to your room if you take it to the dining room and ask your waiter.

My first cruise was from Miami and we live on the west coast. Our first lesson was that it only takes hours to drive from orlando to miami, not days! Second was how use a toll road. and to stay off them, third lesson, never rent a car that has to be returned in south beach, cuz we spent hours trying to find south beach. (the bridge)

We packed way to many clothes.

The dining room experience is a must the first time, and maybe not again ever.

Tips can be adjusted up or down at the pursers desk, and no you don't have to tip everyone listed.

We were on the Victory and never found the lido buffet. I realize there must be one, but we never saw it, or it was never open when we went by. I don't know.

Get involved in the scheduled activities, it makes for a way funner time.

My biggest mistake was believing the dress code! Packed way to many fancy clothes. Also I read so many comments how one cruise line was far better than another. After 30 some cruises I have learned they all have good and bad points and I loved eveyone of them.

The Inch of Gold and Inch of Silver is junk. I stood and looked at that stuff for an hour with my ex. Ok I mostly lookesd at my watch but she had to check it out. :rolleyes:

I swear to god I could see the gold paint flaking off and her fingers turning green just handeling it a little. Thank goodness she didn't buy any, but I missed another activity I was looking forward to, standing around with hundreds of other rubes waiting to get "the best deal on the ship all week!" :mad:

Archived