Lindberg Bay

meab

has anyone visited this beach? i saw it listed on the ***** website (thanks, islander), and it looks pretty nice from the picture and the description.

we're looking for a beach with soft sand, no rocks, clear, calm water, and preferably some shade for our 7-month-old baby. we'd also like a beach that is relatively safe. the vinow site also mentioned there is a playground at the beach, which would be perfect for our 3 year old.

and, it's accessible by bus, which is always a fun experience.

SO, why haven't i read any reviews of this place?!?! help! is this a good option for a laid-back beach day?

thanks in advance.

Hello,

You don't read any reviews because most cruise ship passengers head to Coki, Magens, Sapphire, St. John ect. You could say its off the beaten track as far as cruise passengers go.

Its a laid back beach, usually quiet. There is a resort there with bar, restaurant and pool. The playground is just past the end of the beach, a short walk.

--Islander

thanks islander.

i was just wondering if it was a safe place to visit (quiet is good, but maybe not TOO quiet if youknow what i mean!).

we're just looking for calm water, soft sand, and some shade for the baby. and we definitely prefer quiet over busy.

and if we do take the bus there....where can we pick up a bus? i am guessing we will have to taxi from the port into charlotte amalie and find a bus stop from there...but where? thanks again!!! :)

You should be able to get a cab to take you straight to Lindbergh Beach. I wouldn't even bother with a bus. Since you have young kids with you, you'll be toting more things (toys, diapers, etc.) to the beach that the average couple would be. A cab will be more comfortable for all of you to get around in.

Since you do have young kids with you there is a K-Mart in town, in case you need to pick anything up for them.

Hello,

Yes its safe beach. Its quiet but not isolated. There is a beach bar and restaurant on the beach and the hotel rooms are right there too. Often there are weddings by the pool or on the far end of the beach. Its closeby to the airport so folks coming and going along the main road. There are two other hotels in the vacinity and another restaurant.

I agree with richtersl... taxiing into Charlotte Amalie is $3, Lindberg Bay (also called Emerald Beach because of the hotel's name) is not far from Charlotte Amalie... so another $2.50-$3 would get you right to the beach/hotel entrance. Children under six (6) years old will pay half price on the taxi.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Islander, aha! Lindberg Bay = Emerald Beach! I've read here and there about Emerald Beach, so now I know it's the same place.

Thanks for the info on the half-price on the taxi rates. I wasn't sure whether or not the kids counted or not. It makes a difference when budgeting out how much cash to bring along - with us plus 2 kids, it could either be the price for 2 or 4! We pretty much never carry cash, so when we get off the ship, I like to know what to expect!

Thanks also for the taxi rate info (ie $5.50-$6 pp to Lindberg/Emerald). Just for comparison, do you know the taxi rate to Magen's Bay and Secret Harbor? I looked on the vinow website, and I wasn't sure if the cruise pier was considered "town" or not. If so, the rates are there and I can look it up again (for Magen's, at least).

Thanks again!!!! :)

Havensight isn't listed on those charts, which is a shame. But you should be able to substitute the Marriott Frenchman's Reef to get an idea of approximate cab fares to those and other locations. It may not be exact, but it'll be "ballpark".

When I was there last summer, it was $8 per adult for me and my husband to go from Frenchman's Reef (which is near Havensight, the area where you'll be docking) to Red Hook to get the ferry to St. John. Secret Harbor is roughly about halfway between the two, so you know the cab fare won't be more than $8 per adult and most likely will be less. Hopefully Islander can give you more exact information.

Lindberg (sometimes spelled Lindbergh) Bay is safe. Quite close to the airport. There are at least 3 hotels on the Bay - two Best Westerns (Emerald Beach and Carib Beach) and the Island Beachcomber. Emerald Beach is the nicest. There is some sand but no real beach at Carib Beach.

http://www.emeraldbeach.com/

http://www.caribbeachresort.com/ (directly opposite the Emerald Beach)

http://www.st-thomas.com/islandbeachcomber/

I like Secret Harbour. There is also a bar and restaurant there.

http://secretharbourvi.com/

Here are some taxi rates:

http://st-thomas.com/taxi.html

Havensight isn't listed on those charts, which is a shame. But you should be able to substitute the Marriott Frenchman's Reef to get an idea of approximate cab fares to those and other locations. It may not be exact, but it'll be "ballpark".
On the taxi rate charts, look for "West Indian Dock". This is the main pier where the cruise ships dock near Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas. The Havensight Mall is adjacent to the West Indian Dock, so it is really the same location.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong...

thanks for all the information on taxis. it can be confusing. i am still wondering, for example, if the $6pp to Magen's Bay is from the actual cruise ship pier, or do we have to take the $3pp taxi into charlotte amalie first, and then hop another taxi for $6pp to Magen's.

2 friends of ours each returned from st thomas within the last few weeks and are insisting we visit magen's bay. sigh. too many beaches, too little time.

the good thing about magen's bay is that we can stop for milkshakes on the way back :)

i'm still curious about checking out some other island beaches. we are back to st thomas next year again, so whatever we don't see now we can do then.

thanks for all your help!

yeah, lindberg has the playground, but magen's has the milkshakes...which would YOU choose :D seriously, i even asked my 3 year old DD which she wanted to do, and even she chose the milkshake option (non-alcoholic, of course!)

• 3 weeks later...

note to all: we just returned from our trip, and ended up deciding to go to Lindberg Bay after all.

we had an easy walk from the pier to a bus stop (we asked a few locals along the way, and most were helpful). some safari buses did not want to take us (either denied us, while there was room on the bus, or told us it was $6pp, including the 2 babies!). the vitran bus came along in no time, and we hopped on for 75 cents a piece (the baby was free). we chatted with several very nice locals onboard. as it was election day, there was plenty to chat about, and it was interesting to hear the islanders' perspective on US politics!

we arrived at lindberg bay after about a 15-20 min ride. the bus driver even told us where to pick up the bus when we wanted to come back. the beach was very small, but the water was nice and the whole thing was nearly deserted. as it's located near the airport, we also got to see afew planes take off/land, kind of a st. thomas version of st. maarten's maho bay maybe.

the beach was great - we had it all to ourselves...if you don't count the giant iguana that was crossing the sand near us! there were a few passing rain showers, but we took cover under a tree. it was a nice quiet experience.

the bus on the return was another experience. we waited over an hour (and met several more locals who told us the bus probably wouldn't come for a very long time, if ever!), and finally ended up taking a taxi back to the port. good thing too because it started pouring rain, and the taxi was good shelter. plus, he took us right back to the ship, rather than where the bus stop was when we started our adventure.

the kids seemed to have a good time, and it was definitely easy enough to do, even with 2 little ones.

thanks again for all the great information. this board was a great resource!

Archived