Governor's Beach excursion cancelled?

debate8543

We are coming to Grand Turk on the Eurodam Monday, March 9, and had planned on doing Holland America's Governor's Beach Break excursion. Today, I went to the website to book it and it is no longer listed (it was listed 2 days ago). Does anyone know if it was cancelled due to beach conditions? Is there another way to get to the beach? We just wanted to relax, snorkel, and maybe do some kayaking. Do you know of anywhere else to do this? Thanks!

I will be on the Westerdam (april 12th) sailing. I was also planning to book Governor’s Beach. A few weeks ago I remember seeing that this tour was not available until February 1st 2009. I assumed it was because of the damages caused by Ike.

I checked out the website today for my sailing date an this excursion is no longer available. May be the damages caused by Ike are so extensive that they can not resume this excursion yet ?

I'm sailing on the Westerdam March 1-8 (Olivia Charter) and this is the info we got...

I know you all like to get the skinny on what happened, so here is why HAL pulled this excursion:

The Govenor’s Beach Break in Grand Turk has to be cancelled. The tour operator in Grand Turk has promised us on many occasions that it would be cleaned up and ready for your Charter however the Eurodam was there today and the beach is in no shape to host the Olivia Charter unfortunately.

So you might want to forego Governor's Beach for the next little while.

We were in Grand Turk last week and went to Governor's Beach. The beach is a 10-15 minute walk up the road, you can see it from the ship. The beach is fine. However, the facilities are no longer operational (toilets, shop, etc) because of the hurricane. And there are no longer any fish to be seen there as the reef has been wiped clean.

If you want a quiet swim, it's great!

• 2 weeks later...
We were in Grand Turk last week and went to Governor's Beach. The beach is a 10-15 minute walk up the road, you can see it from the ship. The beach is fine. However, the facilities are no longer operational (toilets, shop, etc) because of the hurricane. And there are no longer any fish to be seen there as the reef has been wiped clean.

If you want a quiet swim, it's great!

Do you know if cabs are still taking you there? I was there a year or so ago and loved it. It's horrible they have not fixed it. Was the beach safe? No glass or metal in the water or sand? I take it you can't rent snorkel gear there anymore, but do you know of a place where you can rent it and then take it there.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

beach is clean - I'm sure cabs would run you round there tho it is only a very short walk (if we are talking about the same beach!). Nowhere to buy drinks, or anything else. Just a quiet, peaceful and beautiful spot.

Archived