Will pay extra to stay in March 2010!!

Laurablue

I just made reservations @ the Drury Inn & Suites for March 20, 2010 and the going rate is $209.00 for a standard room, $259.99 for a suite due to NCAA tournament being the same weekend.

I also tried to get a reservation for my sons who will be in New Orleans on March 13, 2010 and had the same problem due to an Orthopaedic Surgeon's convention in town that weekend. They would like to stay @ the Drury Inn to take advantage of the cruise, park & stay package, but they only had suites available and that is too pricy for them.

Would anyone have any recommendations for them? They would like to stay close to Bourbon Street for the one night.

I think a lot of hotels haven't released rates for those dates, yet.

Thanks. I will keep checking on some other hotels, but I'm just afraid it will be the same. What's your experience when there's a big event in town, will they charge the increased room rate or possibly give you the standard rate if they don't sell all the "blocked" rooms?

I would make a cancelable reservation somewhere you can live with while shopping for exactly what you want.

Of course many places will or will try to jack rates.

You can try calling hotels now to see if they have rates now, before they are released to the Internet. Find out what the cancellation policy is.

Maybe try somewhere like the Holiday Inn French Quarter.

I got a reservation at the Astor Crowne Plaza. I checked the Holiday Inn French Quarter on-line and they weren't taking reservations. I will keep trying though.

We stay at Holiday Inn Express sometimes and the price for your dates are $269.96 and the hotel is 1 block to Bourbon Street. Free breakfast, clean room and safe area. Not sure about parking for a cruise.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/rates/msycs?ias=y&availCheckCaching=n&_requestid=2432926

GReat THREAD!!! I looked yesterday for March 19, as we leave on the 20th. I had NO clue about the tourney. Glad I am already looking at hotels. the rate it gave me yesterday was 199.00, I cant afford that! So,Ive got my TA on it too! Good luck finding a room, we may pass each other in a lobby somewhere!:D

Hey Laura,

I did some digging, actually off the Crowne Plaza site. {too expensive for me}, BUT, THe Holiday in in Gretna, across the river is only 80 bucks for the night I looked. It is not in the Quarter, and does not include cruise parking, But I think I may go ahead and reserve it. {gotta talk to DH,first}. I think the rooms will fill up quick. Its only like 3 miles from the cruise ship dock. From the map, it looks like its just across the river. If I find something else, Ill be sure to post it here.:)

Just a quikie personal note,I saw youre going to be on the POA, Congrats on 25 years! I wnat to take my kids on that one when they are older, {now, 8 and almost 2},so post a review when you get back!!! Youll be on it on my bday {sept. 1} so have a drink for me,will ya? :)

Thanks for the info on the hotel. I will let my sons know about it. I'm sure it won't take long before they fill up.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes... we will be celebrating our 25th on your b-day! I am so excited to see Hawaii and what better way to do it than by cruise ship!! :)

I think Sept 1 is a great day to get married. My great Aunt and Uncle have been married over 50 years,and I was born on their anniversary.

You however, got married on my 3rd bday,lol. I got married feb.1. same month DH was born, on the day I was born. Its easy to remember.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:p;):):D

THe Holiday in in Gretna, across the river is only 80 bucks for the night I looked. It is not in the Quarter, and does not include cruise parking, But I think I may go ahead and reserve it. {gotta talk to DH,first}. I think the rooms will fill up quick. Its only like 3 miles from the cruise ship dock. From the map, it looks like its just across the river.

I guess if you just wanted to crash for the night, it would be an ok hotel. I assume you have a car? If not, I would pay extra to be closer to the action. If you been to the Big Easy before I could see staying there, if you never been I would reconsider.

I guess if you just wanted to crash for the night, it would be an ok hotel. I assume you have a car? If not, I would pay extra to be closer to the action. If you been to the Big Easy before I could see staying there, if you never been I would reconsider.

Yes, we will have my car. And No, Ive never stayed there before. Is there another hotel you could reccomend? the rates for Drury are just too high for DH and I to pay. I do have some friends in St. Francisville or Denham Springs Ive thought of asking if we could stay there before we sail.

THANK YOU so much for letting me know that. I love the area where you are! Ive spent a few summers down there and lots of road trips too. Id live around BR in a second! Im now on my 2nd cup of Community between roast right now! Its my fav coffee!

Sorry Laura to kinda hijack!

No problem TnMama....It's helpful getting inside tips from other CC members.

I am glad New Orleans is getting back on her feet with the upcoming conventions and such, but I hope cruisers like us don't have to give up coming to this wonderful city because of outrageous hotel prices.

Hotel Monteleone is offering a web special special for only$189.00 for your date. I have stayed there several times and it it absolutely beautiful. They are located 2 blocks off Bourbon on Royal St. (That price is either for 1 king bed or 2 double beds.)

• 2 weeks later...

I would vote against staying in Gretna. Keep in mind that when you drive into town to sightsee (French Quarter, port, etc) you will need to pay to park,too. That can be anywhere from $10 - $25 depending on where and how long you are parked. Also a $1 toll on the bridge. So if you come downtown two days - you are looking at $25-50+ for parking. You can park further out for less, but if you want to be in the Quarter you will pay. (and the meter maids will get you if you park illegally).

I would book a hotel where you can get a full refund and keep trying. Blocks of rooms will be booked until they know exactly which teams are going to be in the games.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

March 16 & 20 are only the first and second rounds of the tournament. This is not a "big" event for New Orleans. I think I would wait and see if these "special event" rates come down or go with the other poster and book the Monteleon. The Hotel is lovely, secure, and you can walk to everything.

Hi everyone. I just glanced at this board out of curiousity. I was born and bred in the N.O. area, Gretna specifically. I thought I could offer some recommendations. I would NOT stay in Gretna at the H.I. or any where else on the West Bank for that matter. Although the price of the hotel would surely make up for the bridge toll and parking in the Quarter, the truth is the whole area is very run down and a bit sleazy. When I go into town to visit family and friends who live on the West Bank we stay in the Quarter for the character and ambience. Check out Valentino New Orleans Hotels (actually three) or Hotel St. Pierre, all in the French Quarter, locally owned and on the smallish side where you are not likely to have the big conventions. A word of warning, crime is bad. Tourists (especially drunken ones) are easy targets. Act smart, keep your awareness level up and you will most likely be fine.

I grew up in New Orleans, and we love to return for visits as often as time and money, :o, will allow. One of our favorite places to stay is Iberville Suites. Located one block from Canal and one and 1/2 blocks from Bourbon. We feel safe walking to/from Bourbon even at night. The building was formerly the Maison Blanche department store, and now houses the Ritz Carlton as well as Iberville Suites. They provide a nice breakfast included with the room cost. www.ibervillesuites.com

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most everything posted... if you can swing it, avoid Gretna. It's not that it is unsafe but all things being equal, you're better off on the other side of the river.

As for crime "being bad"... yes and no. It's just like any big city that you don't know.... Stay on the well traveled tourist streets and you're fine. Get loaded and go wandering into a bad neighborhood and -well- things might not turn out so well.

But that's sound travel advice everywhere.

See also Forrest Gump's motto.

Keep in mind you're going right after Mardi Gras season ends so even with a convention the price still might drop.... Definitely stay in the quarter if at all possible, if you've never been there before. I don't know how much you're willing to spend but the Clarion at the end of Canal is fairly cheap and it's nice, parking is $14 per day.

Archived